In response to exactly the question(s) above, BlackBerry responded with the following:

So, no: Google Play Services is not coming to BB10 in 10.3.
    What does Account Managers API mean?..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    04-16-14 02:07 AM
    What do you think about the new runtime? Will we be able to remove (Android) app permissions in this version? I hope!!!

BlackBerry, I know you are reading me and please GIVE US THE POSSIBILITY TO REMOVE PERMISSION TO ANDROID APPS!!! It's a BlackBerry: it needs to be DAMNLY secure!!!! XD
    heading4tomorrow and Gerii like this.
    04-16-14 11:01 AM
    What do you think about the new runtime? Will we be able to remove (Android) app permissions in this version? I hope!!!

BlackBerry, I know you are reading me and please GIVE US THE POSSIBILITY TO REMOVE PERMISSION TO ANDROID APPS!!! It's a BlackBerry: it needs to be DAMNLY secure!!!! XD
    When Android can't even do that natively, I seriously doubt this will ever be available/possible on Blackberry. I love the idea, and I love the ability to remove permissions, but another reason this is not possible is because the damn apps just decide not to run altogether because they all seem to check if permissions are granted when they first run, whether they use the data or not (GPS location, phone number, serial number, etc.) I can understand some of these are necessary for paid apps to verify & link account to app, but most of the time it is just being nosy.

This whole permission problem with android apps is another reason why I don't want to own a blackberry just because it can run Android apps, because at least on android device you can still use 3rd party apps on a rooted platform to remove/modify permissions easily.

There is also APK Permission Remover app, which I tried and apps with permissions removed simply did not work on Blackberry.
    04-16-14 03:26 PM
    What does Account Managers API mean?..
    AccountManager | Android Developers

I assume it will allow Android apps to directly integrate with the online accounts on your BlackBerry, e.g. e-mail, social networks, perhaps even your BlackBerry account. BlackBerry seems to remove some of the boundaries of the Android runtime.
    tinochiko likes this.
    04-16-14 08:25 PM
    Ading Google Accounts for android aps is Nice, I'm sure people will like that.
    Yeah, they're called children.

Long story short, I'm thinking Chens plan is what many others have suggested/dreamed: a dual OS phone. Okay maybe not a full dual OS, but BB10 with all the security and able to run every app in the Google galaxy.

Target specific industries that want/need security, ie healthcare (see investment in NantHealth) finance, government and give them a high security device with high security messaging (eBBM), but also give them a phone that they can play on during those boring meetings (Android apps).

Just my thoughts
    Would this mean that I can root my phone and manually remove all signs of Google/Android? Sweet tits if it's true.
    04-16-14 10:34 PM
    Doesn�t google maps work for you guys?
    working perfectly fine on my phone!
    04-17-14 12:32 PM
    There is still no plans for Map View v2 on the Android Roadmap, do tell.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z10
    Map View v2 requires Google Services. You won't see it unless Google allows BlackBerry access to their services that doesn't look likely

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 07:59 PM
    Map View v2 requires Google Services. You won't see it unless Google allows BlackBerry access to their services that doesn't look likely

Posted via CB10
    Actually in the previous android toolkit release on the BlackBerry blog they said Google Maps V2 was coming.

- Developer of PinGuin
    04-17-14 08:09 PM
    Actually in the previous android toolkit release on the BlackBerry blog they said Google Maps V2 was coming.

- Developer of PinGuin
    Hmm I wonder how they are going to do that

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 09:06 PM

- Developer of PinGuin
    Hmm I wonder how they are going to do that

Posted via CB10
    MapView v1: Applications that use MapView from Google Maps v1 API are now supported using OpenStreetMaps. Support for MapView v2 API is being planned for a future release.
    Prepare Yourself, an Android Runtime Update is Coming! | BlackBerry Developer Blog

Planned isn't a 100% chance that it is coming for sure.
    04-17-14 09:08 PM
    Prepare Yourself, an Android Runtime Update is Coming! | BlackBerry Developer Blog

Planned isn't a 100% chance that it is coming for sure.
    Lol. It's coming.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 10:17 PM
    Lol. It's coming.

Posted via CB10
    I never denied it was coming, I just don't want some folks here to get there hopes up.
    04-17-14 10:19 PM
    I never denied it was coming, I just don't want some folks here to get there hopes up.
    Do you really think they would scrap an announced runtime update? No chance.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 10:36 PM
    Do you really think they would scrap an announced runtime update? No chance.

Posted via CB10
    Could be wrong but I believe he was talking about the MapView v2, not the Runtime itself.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 11:15 PM
    10.2.1. Hadn't paid attention since getting it but just checked on this and it is much snappier than 10.1. Which just proves my point that AIR sucks ;-).

Posted via CB10
    Agree. Actually it seems one thing is still in air. Go to app world and download a big app on slow WiFi or something big enough so it takes at least 30 seconds to download. Swipe out of the app and pull down the quick setting window. At the bottom you have a transfer bar. Tap it. A menu comes up with your ongoing and past transfers. Laggy as all hell, more than likely the last bit of Adobe air in the OS. It must be exorcised....

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 01:26 AM
    Agree. Actually it seems one thing is still in air. Go to app world and download a big app on slow WiFi or something big enough so it takes at least 30 seconds to download. Swipe out of the app and pull down the quick setting window. At the bottom you have a transfer bar. Tap it. A menu comes up with your ongoing and past transfers. Laggy as all hell, more than likely the last bit of Adobe air in the OS. It must be exorcised....

Posted via CB10
    Never lagged with me, I actually love the way it disappears when I close it ( swipe up)

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 06:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    Seems like the phone app might still be Air. It is still pretty laggy.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 04:14 PM
    That would be great. I'm not using many android apps, but it's bad, that I cannot share from them

Wenn du mir sagst, was dort drau�en richtig ist, werde ich nicht mehr versuchen dich zu k�ssen... (Sayumi Whisp) www.sayumi.de
    04-19-14 02:03 AM
    Seems like the phone app might still be Air. It is still pretty laggy.

Posted via CB10
    I think the Phone app is in Cascades, not AIR. The Browser, on the other hand...

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 09:02 AM
    After installing an app, there's a screen that comes up that displays the permissions that you can choose the check off. Try scrolling up and down in that. It's slow. That's defibitely Adobe AIR. Change that to cascades already!

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 09:22 AM
    I think the Phone app is in Cascades, not AIR. The Browser, on the other hand...

Posted via CB10
    The browser is Webworks, from what I understand. I don't think any of the pre-installed apps are air anymore.

Posted from my Red Zed
    04-19-14 09:49 AM
    The browser is Webworks, from what I understand. I don't think any of the pre-installed apps are air anymore.

Posted from my Red Zed
    I think you're right about the browser. Searching for which pre-installed apps use AIR just gives me the escreens.
    04-19-14 09:54 AM
72 123