How long might we expect that lightning-fast innovation cycle to persist? How much more is being demanded?
    You could have asked the same thing 6 years ago, yet here we are. I have no idea how long this breakneck pace will continue.
    12-05-21 01:05 PM
    We’ve all complained about updates becoming more frequent at some point. However, the security vulnerabilities have exponentially increased and become a fact of life. Personally, I expect that it’s been all part of the disposable aspect of products that’s become prevalent in everything over the last 40-50+ years. The planned obsolescence model has encouraged/increased products and features development across society. At the same time, we consume resources at increasing rates. Everything’s finite, right?
    Lol. A finite lifeboat in an infinite universe. Even our resident thermonuclear energy source at the center of our Globe's orbit is finite. Humanity WILL, one very distant future, either move or freeze. Lol. Coordinating such global collaboration WILL demand communications... maybe we'll evolve transparent thumbs? Eyes on thumbs?? Lol.
    12-05-21 01:06 PM
    6 years is an eternity given the reality of mobile's lightning-fast innovation cycle.
    Might not be as lightning fast in this decade as it were in the last one.

We've heard the phrase "smartphones have plateaued". It seems to stand true aside from this new form factor called foldables/flips which are the only thing standing between us and a decade filled with slabs that will likely look and do the same things in 2025 as they look and do today.
    12-05-21 02:17 PM
    Might not be as lightning fast in this decade as it were in the last one.

We've heard the phrase "smartphones have plateaued". It seems to stand true aside from this new form factor called foldables/flips which are the only thing standing between us and a decade filled with slabs that will likely look and do the same things in 2025 as they look and do today.
    There is always someone like you that claims Moore's Law has come to an end. Yet, it keeps blissfully chugging along.

Mobile CPU performance has increased 11x in the last 6 years. I expect the same or more in the next 6.
    12-05-21 02:18 PM
    There is always someone like you that claims Moore's Law has come to an end. Yet, it keeps blissfully chugging along.

Mobile CPU performance has increased 11x in the last 6 years. I expect the same or more in the next 6.
    Do we need the 11x again?
    12-05-21 02:27 PM
    Do we need the 11x again?
    If you aren't planning on preventing any more OS and app development, then yes.
    12-05-21 02:29 PM
    Marketable feature expansion and improvements should always be welcomed. Each individual should evaluate the value.

I do NOT feel that air wave citizens were adequately consulted over some of the "public" RF alterations. Imo. BUT, that irritation aside, perpetual drama coerced by criminal activities is extracting an indirect and direct "protection tax" that already has Capone proud. Imo. Fwiw.
    12-05-21 02:37 PM
    I do NOT feel that air wave citizens were adequately consulted over some of the "public" RF alterations. Imo.
    I don't understand what alternative method you would have proposed.

Without the refarming of 3G frequencies to 4G and 5G, we would have to tell everyone they can't hook up any more devices to the net due to lack of bandwidth.

I think the public (and their voracious needs) has clearly spoken on the matter.
    12-05-21 02:41 PM
    perpetual drama coerced by criminal activities is extracting an indirect and direct "protection tax".
    So the solution would be to simply succumb to such criminal activity?
    12-05-21 02:45 PM
    Marketable feature expansion and improvements should always be welcomed. Each individual should evaluate the value.

I do NOT feel that air wave citizens were adequately consulted over some of the "public" RF alterations. Imo. BUT, that irritation aside, perpetual drama coerced by criminal activities is extracting an indirect and direct "protection tax" that already has Capone proud. Imo. Fwiw.
    I'm not sure I'd call it a tax since usually that implies lack of choice or lacking quid pro quo exchange of service for everyone paying same amount.

Also, the solutions aren't being delivered by the bad actors like extortion typically in the protection insurance business.
    12-05-21 03:19 PM
    Its amazing how the fact that a certain Canadian fruit logo company no longer makes smartphones and its China based licensee also abandoning its venture led to some people concluding that software updates are akin to protection rackets
    And the complaints about "some people were not consulted about X spectrum auction" always pop up every time when a new technology is rolled out. 3G, 4G, 5G, all of them. Claims that it causes cancer, its bad for (insert random thing), et cetera. Nothing new under the sun.
    12-05-21 03:35 PM
    So the solution would be to simply succumb to such criminal activity?
    The solution has already been to simply succumb to such criminal activity. By playing their game. And we're all paying the price. Criminals need prosecuting. Maybe Nations that refuse to prosecute the perps should be cut from www? Or??
    12-05-21 03:36 PM
    The solution has already been to simply succumb to such criminal activity. By playing their game. And we're all paying the price. Criminals need prosecuting. Maybe Nations that refuse to prosecute the perps should be cut from www? Or??
    Lol. Prosecute who? Some guy behind a VPN in Istanbul?
    12-05-21 03:40 PM
    Lol. Prosecute who? Some guy behind a VPN in Istanbul?
    Lol. Good point. If physically finding the perps is already considered impossible, they have won. We have already succumbed to a future of monthly, weekly, daily, hourly, ... ? patches. Just staying a half step behind. Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 12-06-21 at 05:12 AM.
    12-05-21 04:21 PM
    Its amazing how the fact that a certain Canadian fruit logo company no longer makes smartphones and its China based licensee also abandoning its venture led to some people concluding that software updates are akin to protection rackets
    And the complaints about "some people were not consulted about X spectrum auction" always pop up every time when a new technology is rolled out. 3G, 4G, 5G, all of them. Claims that it causes cancer, its bad for (insert random thing), et cetera. Nothing new under the sun.
    Is someone in this thread making cancer claims? Citation please.

If you haven't noticed, this site's name was derived out of that "certain Canadian fruit logo company". Dedicated to "BlackBerry Users (and Abusers!) ".
    SOME of us STILL use some products made by that company. What is YOUR interest here? Are you using BlackBerry products? Have you ever??

What is your preferred brand & model? What do you like about it? Dislike? Which apps do you use and like?

EDIT: the name and logo of that "Canadian fruit logo company" reportedly derived out of visual cues of the physical keyboard they earned fame for. Still THE best typing experience ever, imo.
    Last edited by idssteve; 12-05-21 at 05:47 PM.
    12-05-21 05:00 PM
    Anyone ever identify precisely why K2 got "special treatment" to August? Not complaining, just curious.
    12-05-21 09:05 PM
    Anyone ever identify precisely why K2 got "special treatment" to August? Not complaining, just curious.
    Best guess is a company with legal clout somewhere in North America that had some kind of support contract.
    idssteve likes this.
    12-05-21 09:34 PM
    What special treatment did it get?
    12-06-21 03:53 AM
    Extra security patches.
    12-06-21 05:06 AM
    K2 received security patch updates thru August. LE "died" last Spring. Several of us migrated to K2 for those intervening months in desperate hope of OM. Lol.

At least one S8 using co-worker also migrated to K2 about last Spring. Seems like S8 succumbed about then? "Critical stuff" is now handled on iOS for those co-workers and myself. Less "perceived drama" , at least. iOS is still awful for much typing, imo. Lol.
    12-06-21 06:01 AM
    iOS is still awful for much typing, imo. Lol.
    Absolutely.

The iOS keyboard is the worst I've tried on mobile, and Apple still refuses to include haptic feedback even though they have the best vibration motors in the market (that iPhone 7, 8, SE 2020 haptic home button can still fool me for a physical one!!).

Gboard on iOS does have a haptic feedback option, but the intensity is low and therefore underwhelming, and cannot be set higher in the settings like it can on Android.

So it's basically like renting a 800HP sports car on a race track but the track rules don't allow for driving faster than 65MPH.
    12-06-21 06:09 AM
    Wasn't the Key2 the last one, and therefore it would make sense that updates for it would be longer into the future than the others?
    12-06-21 06:33 AM
    Wasn't the Key2 the last one, and therefore it would make sense that updates for it would be longer into the future than the others?
    No the LE came later. Also, it wasn't all Key2 models that kept getting updates.
    12-06-21 06:50 AM
    LE was newest and shortest lived. It also proved slightly better than K2 for typing experience. Very slightly. For myself and several coworkers. Quantified thru real world billing record analysis. Just a few wpm but measurable. Even after several months of familiarization.

Myself and coworkers concur that LE's lighter mass, lower COG,lower MOI, and subtle kb refinements contributed to a very slightly higher natural frequency critical. Exposed at bout 65wpm on LE. Roughly 63 for K2. ? By design? Accident?? Idk. Purely academic atp. Few ever noticed, it seems.
    12-06-21 07:44 AM
74 123