11-25-21 11:18 AM
32 12
tools
    It's not. If it was, then we'd all also be driving only Latas or Hyundais, and we aren't. I am agreeing with you. We are spending massive amounts of money driving all different types of cars because our different choices and spendings for autos make us feel better. Our choices of different options and spendings for phones isn't really vastly different, other than scale.
    Yeah the way I look at it, it's a couple hundred bucks or sometimes over a thousand on something that'll live in one's pocket for usually about two years, sometimes more. Why would they want something that'll bore them after two weeks or so.
    11-21-21 07:58 PM
    You're only one of a handful of people who seem to believe that rows of buttons on the bottom of a phone is the difference between "boring" and "exciting." Most people don't see their device as either boring or exciting - it's all about the software running on the device that makes THAT difference for most, except maybe for the quality of the camera. And phones with buttons have never had especially good cameras.
    pdr733 likes this.
    11-22-21 02:00 AM
    You're only one of a handful of people who seem to believe that rows of buttons on the bottom of a phone is the difference between "boring" and "exciting." Most people don't see their device as either boring or exciting - it's all about the software running on the device that makes THAT difference for most, except maybe for the quality of the camera. And phones with buttons have never had especially good cameras.
    Exciting in a market where everything looks about the same and gives about the same experience. If there were more diversity in form factors (RIP LG) and more people using using them, then yes a phone with a keyboard and/or moving parts wouldn't necessarily stand out as much

After over three years, I wouldn't say the KEY2 is exactly exciting anymore (though it has a timeless design but that's subjective) but the keyboard experience (typing, shortcuts, etc) is just as useful and relevant today as it was in 2018, imo.
    dmlis likes this.
    11-22-21 07:38 AM
    Someone wrote this on Reddit wrt the_boon's seeming obsession with boring vs exciting in terms of phones. Very well put:

"Because a screwdriver is exciting for a toolman when new, once you've been using one for years, a new one will only exite you for a while.

It's a tool fighting lots of constraints, mainly power/battery life and size. If it was wall powered, phones could have desktop rtx 3070 level performance, audiophile grade speakers, projectors,whatever.

By definition a tool is functional.

People and artists and marketing departments would like to call it more than a tool, but as long as it has to be a tool at the bare minimum, it won't cross the boundary to art without compromising its main aim, functionality. The art can be accessed through the tool.

You look at your door,your bed, your gas stove, your fridge, blank paper with excitement? It's the art pieces inside the room with doors, the food, the books, and the music that excites, not the medium."
    11-24-21 08:17 PM
    Someone wrote this on Reddit wrt the_boon's seeming obsession with boring vs exciting in terms of phones. Very well put...
    The screwdriver part at the start seem well put in my opinion. The last part, when the poster talked about bed, paper, stove, etc... seemed to be well put in my opinion. The rest of it didn't really seem overlying revealing or well put to me, beyond what others have also said. I guess one probably had to see some of the other conversation from Reddit to get the full jest of what the poster was going on about, since I am not sure what the reference to art and such was.
    11-24-21 08:55 PM
    Someone wrote this on Reddit wrt the_boon's seeming obsession with boring vs exciting in terms of phones. Very well put:

"Because a screwdriver is exciting for a toolman when new, once you've been using one for years, a new one will only exite you for a while.

It's a tool fighting lots of constraints, mainly power/battery life and size. If it was wall powered, phones could have desktop rtx 3070 level performance, audiophile grade speakers, projectors,whatever.

By definition a tool is functional.

People and artists and marketing departments would like to call it more than a tool, but as long as it has to be a tool at the bare minimum, it won't cross the boundary to art without compromising its main aim, functionality. The art can be accessed through the tool.

You look at your door,your bed, your gas stove, your fridge, blank paper with excitement? It's the art pieces inside the room with doors, the food, the books, and the music that excites, not the medium."
    The examples given by that poster were single-use tools/object. A mobile device is very multi-functional.
    Yes the content constitutes most of the experience, but the hardware around it can contribute too. Why should the latter be the same flat slate?
    shakingthrough likes this.
    11-24-21 08:56 PM
    The examples given by that poster were single-use tools/object. A mobile device is very multi-functional.
    Yes the content constitutes most of the experience, but the hardware around it can contribute too. Why should the latter be the same flat slate?
    Because 99.9% of users either don’t care beyond the content experience or don’t prefer for the PKB experience for whatever reason.
    11-25-21 11:18 AM
32 12