Since I was waiting and hoping that new device will come I gave up and lost all track of possible updates and now my phone is turning off by itself more and more times per day

How can I check if I have a final update on my key2? Its double sim 128 gb model ( I think BF 100-6) or f there is an update how can I make it?
    11-18-21 10:04 AM
    Since I was waiting and hoping that new device will come I gave up and lost all track of possible updates and now my phone is turning off by itself more and more times per day

How can I check if I have a final update on my key2? Its double sim 128 gb model ( I think BF 100-6) or f there is an update how can I make it?
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1381535354
    11-18-21 10:07 AM
    Thanks a lot,
    On this list, what I do next? Very sorry, completely forgot how to do it)) model by month, and then??
    11-18-21 10:21 AM
    Thanks a lot,
    On this list, what I do next? Very sorry, completely forgot how to do it)) model by month, and then??

Type *#837837# into the phone dialer to obtain your device PRD, then match that to the update to see where you should be - and compare it to your installed version.
    11-18-21 11:53 AM
    Appreciate your help very much, but looks like still dont know how to do it)))
    I typed and dialed and this is what I got, but looking at the document you sent, there is nothing on this month of the year on my model, so what do you suggest to do?

This is what came out
    Bbf 100-6
    ACQ 160
    prd 63828-003
    aPBI- prd 63828-003
    Thanks a lot
    11-18-21 01:45 PM
    Appreciate your help very much, but looks like still dont know how to do it)))
    I typed and dialed and this is what I got, but looking at the document you sent, there is nothing on this month of the year on my model, so what do you suggest to do?

This is what came out
    Bbf 100-6
    ACQ 160
    prd 63828-003
    aPBI- prd 63828-003
    Thanks a lot
    You look down the chart for the BBF100-6
    Then under that you look for APBI-PRD63828003

Last official update was ACQ160 (under the column for May 2020), which is what you have. So your as current as your suppose to be....
    11-18-21 01:50 PM
    Thanks a lot, so this means I have to leave with what we have)))
    So is it ok? Should be working ok? Any update expected?
    11-18-21 01:58 PM
    Thanks a lot, so this means I have to leave with what we have)))
    So is it ok? Should be working ok? Any update expected?
    No expectated update. Product has been abandoned.

Try a factory reset.
    11-18-21 03:47 PM
    Factory reset means all will be deleted?))
    11-18-21 03:48 PM
    Lately havent read nothing about what to expect... what do they say? It should work ok without updates? What do you think? What problems can I face? I mean it is ok so far, just being switched off by itself last 3 days, I am just worried if there is something can be done that I dont know of. Any wise advice will be appreciated. Thanks again
    11-18-21 04:30 PM
    Like any other phone after it completes its update cycle (ALL phones have a limit to how long they are updated for), what happens is that new vulnerabilities are discovered, reported privately to the appropriate company who is responsible for fixing them, and then 30 days later, those vulnerabilities are PUBLISHED for anyone to read. The purpose of publishing these is to create pressure on the companies (via the media primarily) to actually FIX the problems, and for the most part, they do... on devices that are still being supported. Devices that are outside the support window (which includes ALL BB-branded phones at this point) will not get any updates, and so they will be vulnerable to any and all flaws and exploits found after the end of the support window.

Obviously, as time goes on, and more and more flaws are discovered, the phone is more and more vulnerable to being hacked or otherwise accessed. And not all vulnerabilities are even reported - if some hacker, rather than an actual security researcher or random coder finds a vulnerability, they will keep that to themselves and use it to exploit devices (usually by the hundreds of thousands) and usually no one will even know until later - sometimes much later.

The generally accepted guideline is that once a device's support window ends, you have about 90 days before, on average, there are enough significant vulnerabilities that you cannot consider your device to be "safe" - at least, not as a primary device that has access to your primary email accounts, passwords, banking or credit card information, etc. If you are using it as a secondary device, with fake email accounts and no important data, then security is going to be less of a concern. Each person has to evaluate their own exposure based on how they use their device and what requirements they have to keep their data (or, worse, their customers' data) safe. But any way you look at it, time works against you - the longer it's been without security patches, the more vulnerabilities a device has - and some of them are considered "severe".

If you live in the US, you are also just a few months away from the start of the 3G shutdown/5G transition, which is going to have some negative impacts on all older, non-5G-capable devices. That's separate from BB's shutdown of sevices for BBOS and BB10 phones (which don't affect BB Android phones except for the app suite, which has already been essentially abandoned for the last 2 years already and will continue to break as standards evolve and leave it behind) - BB Android phones don't require BB services like BB ID - it uses Google accounts like any other Android phone.

The bottom line is that most users should be planning on transitioning to a 5G phone sometime in the next 6 months, especially if you use your phone as your "primary" with your primary email accounts, bank accounts, credit card info, etc., because your BB-branded phone isn't secure anymore and will only become less secure with time - plus the cellular network changes will cause reduced coverage that could leave you without a signal in certain areas.
    11-19-21 04:15 AM
    ^^^ That should be sticked some where...
    dmlis and cribble2k like this.
    11-19-21 01:45 PM
    Like any other phone after it completes its update cycle (ALL phones have a limit to how long they are updated for), what happens is that new vulnerabilities are discovered, reported privately to the appropriate company who is responsible for fixing them, and then 30 days later, those vulnerabilities are PUBLISHED for anyone to read. The purpose of publishing these is to create pressure on the companies (via the media primarily) to actually FIX the problems, and for the most part, they do... on devices that are still being supported. Devices that are outside the support window (which includes ALL BB-branded phones at this point) will not get any updates, and so they will be vulnerable to any and all flaws and exploits found after the end of the support window.

Obviously, as time goes on, and more and more flaws are discovered, the phone is more and more vulnerable to being hacked or otherwise accessed. And not all vulnerabilities are even reported - if some hacker, rather than an actual security researcher or random coder finds a vulnerability, they will keep that to themselves and use it to exploit devices (usually by the hundreds of thousands) and usually no one will even know until later - sometimes much later.

The generally accepted guideline is that once a device's support window ends, you have about 90 days before, on average, there are enough significant vulnerabilities that you cannot consider your device to be "safe" - at least, not as a primary device that has access to your primary email accounts, passwords, banking or credit card information, etc. If you are using it as a secondary device, with fake email accounts and no important data, then security is going to be less of a concern. Each person has to evaluate their own exposure based on how they use their device and what requirements they have to keep their data (or, worse, their customers' data) safe. But any way you look at it, time works against you - the longer it's been without security patches, the more vulnerabilities a device has - and some of them are considered "severe".

If you live in the US, you are also just a few months away from the start of the 3G shutdown/5G transition, which is going to have some negative impacts on all older, non-5G-capable devices. That's separate from BB's shutdown of sevices for BBOS and BB10 phones (which don't affect BB Android phones except for the app suite, which has already been essentially abandoned for the last 2 years already and will continue to break as standards evolve and leave it behind) - BB Android phones don't require BB services like BB ID - it uses Google accounts like any other Android phone.

The bottom line is that most users should be planning on transitioning to a 5G phone sometime in the next 6 months, especially if you use your phone as your "primary" with your primary email accounts, bank accounts, credit card info, etc., because your BB-branded phone isn't secure anymore and will only become less secure with time - plus the cellular network changes will cause reduced coverage that could leave you without a signal in certain areas.
    Okay, and how could someone minimize the risks as much as possible on an unsupported Android device, aside from what I had stated above?

Because from the looks of it, seems like in the US people can basically choose between a handful of iPhones, Pixels and Samsungs. I wouldn't have thought that it could become this boring/restricted so quickly.
    11-20-21 09:43 PM
    Okay, and how could someone minimize the risks as much as possible on an unsupported Android device, aside from what I had stated above?

Because from the looks of it, seems like in the US people can basically choose between a handful of iPhones, Pixels and Samsungs. I wouldn't have thought that it could become this boring/restricted so quickly.
    Everything you suggest reduces risk, but without the bones of the OS itself being secured, there is only so far you can take it.

There are 45 phones produced by the 3 OEMs you mention in 2021.
    11-20-21 10:10 PM
    Turn off wi-fi, bluetooth, and cellular data.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-21-21 09:19 AM
    Turn off wi-fi, bluetooth, and cellular data.
    11-21-21 09:24 AM
    Anything that would give you any significant safety is going to be a major inconvenience - such as using a fake Google or Apple ID and never installing your primary email account on the phone, never using it for banking or mobile payments, etc. Because if your phone is on the cellular network, you will be vulnerable to many of the known security holes, and people from anywhere on the planet could potentially be attacking you (not you personally, but scanning the network for devices with specific vulnerabilities).

Because from the looks of it, seems like in the US people can basically choose between a handful of iPhones, Pixels and Samsungs.
    There are a number of other manufacturers, but you aren't wrong in that those three represent the best choices for most people - though I might throw Sony on that list. I would have included LG not too long ago, but they've quit the business.

I wouldn't have thought that it could become this boring/restricted so quickly.
    We've been talking about this for years - I'm not sure why it's come as any surprise. In 2 years, once 5G is completely the norm and 3G "long gone", you'll have better "non-Big-Three" options than you do today, and carrier policies will be better understood, but during a major transition, it makes sense to stick to the majors, who will enjoy the best support.
    11-21-21 11:43 AM
    The large majority of people use their phones as a tool, like a garden or kitchen utensil. They dont need to derive excitement or gratification from using a dmn phone. Therefore for the large majority of people this question of whether phones are “boring” or not arises as much as whether a fork or a knife or a washing machine is “boring”.
    Particularly in the usa where most customers (who buy through the carriers) are already used to having less brands to choose from than their European counterparts.
    11-21-21 01:08 PM
    The large majority of people use their phones as a tool, like a garden or kitchen utensil. They dont need to derive excitement or gratification from using a dmn phone. Therefore for the large majority of people this question of whether phones are “boring” or not arises as much as whether a fork or a knife or a washing machine is “boring”.
    Particularly in the usa where most customers (who buy through the carriers) are already used to having less brands to choose from than their European counterparts.
    It's a multifunctional tool you have with you everywhere, every day. Why not have one you enjoy?

Don't people also choose cars also based on if they like the damn thing?
    11-21-21 05:07 PM
    ...Don't people also choose cars also based on if they like the damn thing?
    Nope, we are all driving Latas, Versas, Sparks, Mirages, Rios, Sonics, Fiestas and Accents.
    John Albert likes this.
    11-21-21 05:22 PM
    Nope, we are all driving Latas, Versas, Sparks, Mirages, Rios, Sonics, Fiestas and Accents.
    Who's "all" lol
    11-21-21 05:23 PM
    Who's "all" lol
    The same people who buy phones.
    John Albert likes this.
    11-21-21 05:24 PM
    The same people who buy phones.
    There's usually several options in every vehicle category at a given price.

In any case, the automobile world is quite different.

But the point I was making is that people put many hours of use on their phones each and every day.
    How is it ridiculous to believe that they should be able to enjoy the one tool they use so much?
    11-21-21 06:10 PM
    ...How is it ridiculous to believe that they should be able to enjoy the one tool they use so much?
    It's not. If it was, then we'd all also be driving only Latas or Hyundais, and we aren't. I am agreeing with you. We are spending massive amounts of money driving all different types of cars because our different choices and spendings for autos make us feel better. Our choices of different options and spendings for phones isn't really vastly different, other than scale.
    11-21-21 06:29 PM
    ...Our choices of different options and spendings for phones isn't really vastly different, other than scale.
    ...than how we behave/spend/buy for autos.
    11-21-21 06:32 PM
74 123