Hi all.

Did anyone else receive an email from RIM about an update today? I did. I followed the instructions in the email to get the update only to find nothing new available.

Nuts . . . I was hoping for OS 5.0!

BlackBerry Software Update Notification

Update Today!

----------------------------------------------------

What else can your BlackBerry� smartphone do for you?

Find out when you update to the latest smartphone software! This free update is ready and waiting to help you do more with your BlackBerry smartphone. To update today visit BlackBerry - Update your Device Software

New ways to work and play!

* As an aid to comprehension, this section provides a brief overview of the life-cycle of a device upgrade. * Each OTASL capable device will contain one or more OTASL Service Records(SR) each identifying a Device Manager (DM). The DM may be located at RIM, may be part of a BES or, in future, could be associated with a 3rd party application provider. Each SR will identify the applications which are of interest to the corresponding DM. SRs may be delivered by PRV, BES or in an upgrade application loaded OTA. * The device will keep each DM informed of its configuration including hardware ID, vendor ID, the current software version (O/S, platform and core applications) and the current screen language setting. * Any of several authorized device administrators can request upgrade of a device. Administrators would include the BES administrator, RIM administrators, carrier administrators and possibly the end-user. Each administrator will have access to the device configuration. The BES and RIM administrators will have direct access to a DM while the carrier will have proxy access through RIM to its DM to obtain the configuration information. The end-user can simply access the information directly. * Given the configuration, the administrator can contact the Control Web Server (CWS) for a list of possible upgrades in the form of an XML document (upgrades.xml). * Based on corporate policies and goals, the administration module can then edit/filter the XML document and forward the result on to the device. The editing may include the removal of undesired upgrade paths or the addition of corporate policies on upgrade data routing (e.g. roaming) or user interaction (don't prompt). * On receipt of upgrades.xml, the device will execute the instructions in it possibly including querying the user for upgrade paths and options or just immediately initiating the upgrade..

Get the most advanced BlackBerry Device Software to keep your BlackBerry smartphone performing at its best. To update now visit BlackBerry - Update your Device Software

01-08-10 05:40 PM
    did you have another blackberry device.. your blackberry device doesnt change in there system automatically
    01-08-10 05:54 PM
    I received the email too. No actual update for me either.
    01-08-10 06:06 PM
    did you have another blackberry device.. your blackberry device doesnt change in there system automatically
    Nope. Have had only one BB (next phone will likely be an Android device).

Hmmm . . . maybe someone jumped the gun on an OS 5.0 upgrade over the weekend!
    01-08-10 06:17 PM
    I also received that email. Actually twice, once @ 17:40 and agains @ 19:53.

Was checking on the forum to see if anyone else had and what it consisted of when I came across this thread.

Haven't researched further as I will have to boot into Windows partition on my system to follow the links in the email.

Interesting that the ones of use that have received the email are all VZW customers.
    01-08-10 07:17 PM
    I'm just going to run the updater once over the next few days to see if the new OS is finally here.

I haven't found any mention elsewhere of a known update.

RIM may have just been trying to drive traffic to their site -- reminding us that BB OS isn't totally dead yet in the face of Android releases up the wazoo. lol.
    01-08-10 07:26 PM
    Followed the link which eventually brought up DM, showed the OS currently loaded and the previous one. Nothing else.
    01-08-10 07:47 PM
    I find it interesting that the � at the bottom is 2008. Seems kind of old to me. Also the formatting and syntax is pretty bad. I'm thinking scam or glitch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 08:02 PM
    I received the email too. No actual update for me either.
    Same here. I got nuthin.
    01-08-10 08:33 PM
    LOL glad to know I'm not the only one that got all excited - and then felt like Charlie Brown after having the football pulled away.... I want new stuff dammit! LOL
    01-08-10 08:40 PM
    Following this....
    01-08-10 09:09 PM
    I got it too, and can't wait to see if there really IS an update in store for us!!
    01-08-10 09:36 PM
    subscribing to this
    01-08-10 11:50 PM
    Well, I just received the same email. This time, there is a long list of updates, but all of them are to "version 4.5.0." Nothing beyond .0 is provided.

I'm already running 4.5.0.138; so, why exactly do I want to install this upgrade if it's not OS v5.0?!?
    01-11-10 04:38 PM
    4.5.0.175 for verizon wireless is now available for right now only on the desktop manager.
    01-11-10 05:08 PM
    Got the same email. Twice in two weeks. I have the storm 9530 and used to have the curve 8338 wth VZW

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-10 05:11 PM
    thank you, sam. i didn't see any reference to .175, but i'll go with it.
    01-11-10 05:11 PM
    yeah i got the same email today.
    01-11-10 05:21 PM
    I just downloaded thru BB website. Its for 4.5.0.175
    01-11-10 05:37 PM
    I never got an email - are we all suppose to get one????
    01-11-10 05:42 PM
    @mlkmn - any issues with your BB after you installed it?

@scerina - if you plug your BB in to Desktop Manager and run the update, it'll show you if your device has an update. don't see any news about this anywhere; so, who knows how many devices are targeted by the update.
    01-11-10 06:01 PM
    So far I only had to reset my Viigo settings. Nothing came thru on my DM, thats why I did it thru BB website. After the update it then showed up on my DM. Also had to reset my custom ringtones
    Last edited by mlkmn440; 01-11-10 at 07:25 PM.
    01-11-10 06:20 PM
    What about BBM? Summary says it wants to delete.
    01-12-10 06:54 PM
    BlackBerry Messenger 5.0 has worked just fine since the update.
    Last edited by butcherbird; 01-12-10 at 07:01 PM. Reason: removed comment about having to reset BBM alerts - was wrong.
    01-12-10 06:57 PM
    BlackBerry Messenger 5.0 has worked just fine since the update.
    Yup. Indication was that it would be deleted but after update all is there including BBM.
    01-12-10 07:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD