I got my Tour in Oct 2009. From the beginning, the GPS function has been very unreliable. I have tried the "test" function from the Options/Status screen and GPS fixing while standing outside can range from almost instantaneous to a minute to indefinite. I have far less success trying to get a GPS fix from inside a moving car (even with the unit held near a window). This is very aggravating when using a map function and trying to find my way in an unfamiliar place!

This is a Verizon 9630 running 5.0.0.732. GPS settings are Location On and Location Aiding Enabled. Are there any other diagnostics I can run or settings I can change to improve things? Do others experience this issue?
    09-03-10 08:32 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!

I own a 8530 at this present time, but I did own a 9630 and I found the GPS to work fairly well. However, I did have awful issues with my HTC Hero (android) and GPS - but for me, the blackberry GPS has worked fairly well.

There isn't much you can do to improve the GPS. My Garmin GPS unit seems to lock signal faster when sitting still in my car. If I move, it seems to take longer to lock - so what you are experiencing with your Tour isn't that 'off' to me. Your GPS chip could just be funky and not up to par - but as I said, I seemed to have pretty good success with my Tour back in the day
    09-03-10 11:55 PM
    Use of the GPS also requires a data signal. Are you in good coverage?
    09-04-10 10:52 AM
    Using the GPS requires a data signal for maps to download, but you don't need a signal for the GPS itself to work. You can easily demonstrate this for yourself. Go outside with a clear view of the sky. Run the internal GPS self-test. When I did it just now, I got a fix in 7666 ms. The time will vary. Now back out of the self test and turn off your mobile network connection. Then repeat the GPS test. With the cellular radio off, I got a fix in 4893 ms. The GPS works with or without a data signal and the self-test should pass or fail without regard to the number of bars of coverage available.
    09-04-10 12:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD