I sent myself a .doc file as an attachment to an email (since I understand this is the only way to see them). When I try to open the attachment, I get the error "Unrecognized document format". What gives?

It's a .doc file, from Word 2003. I have a 8130 with AT&T (OS. 4.2.2.170). I just bought this Blackberry, my first, a couple days ago, so I have no idea what's going on.

Thanks!
    11-13-08 08:47 PM
    Dunno who told you that, but it's wrong. You would need to purchase a document viewer. Or wait until AT&T releases OS 4.5, which has Docs2Go. I don't recommend you attempt to install OS 4.5 from a difference carrier since you are new.
    11-13-08 08:54 PM
    I think it's possible because I have the application Blackberry Attachment Service (v.4.2.2) which is exactly supposed to do that. I don't why it is not working though.
    11-13-08 09:05 PM
    Wow okay, just take anything I say and throw it in my face why don't you. If you don't want to take my advice, which is right btw, then I won't offer to help you anymore.
    11-13-08 09:11 PM
    Mmm... I didn't mean for my above comment to be offensive at all. I got my first BB two days ago, and after checking online, I learned there's something called BB Attachment Service (which I found under my BB Applications as well). Just wanted to know why it was not working.

Sorry to see you took my words the wrong way. I've always appreciated the support I've received from this nice site so far
    11-13-08 09:16 PM
    Hey! Just wanted to add that I "solved" my problem, in case someone happens to stumble upon this thread. There was something wrong with the first .doc file I sent myself (it was an old file, not quite sure what was the problem though).

I created a new .doc file from scratch and sent it to myself as an attachment, and I was able to open it!

This article talks a bit about supported attachment formats. It's a good option for those of us with AT&T not being able to use OS 4.5 yet:
    Supported attachment formats for the BlackBerry Internet Service
    11-13-08 09:28 PM
    Sunkast, I'm not sure what you're saying. I have a Verizon BlackBerry Curve 8330 / 4.3.0.127 and I view Word doc attachments every day without eOffice or Docs to Go (which I can't get until my IT dept let's me upgrade to 4.5) or any other add-ins. Can't edit, but native document viewer is quite competent.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-08 10:08 PM
    Not sure if this has anything to do with anyone who has posted here but one of our users stated he could not open .doc files. Come to find out if you save a file you are working on in 2007 as a 2003 .doc the blackberry cannot open it because it says its a "unrecognized format". We are also using version 4.0 for our BES. We are going to update to the newest version by the end of the summer which supports 2007 files. So I assume this is resolved in the newer BES software.

Hope this helps.

-Thomas
    07-20-09 03:05 PM
    This is kind of an old thread, but I think your user's issue and the OP's issues may be the same. If the user has deleted the Message Attachment component from Applications, they won't be able to view the attachments.
    07-20-09 04:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD