Hey guys, just wondering what's going on. I have a T-Mobile 8900 I unlocked and gave to my buddy who has ATT. When trying to use WiFi (not UMA, I know that won't work), it won't get data on any WiFi network. It connects but just can't use data. I never had a problem with it when I used it with a T-Mo SIM. In Wifi Diagnostics, it shows "ISP or T-Mobile Error". Does it need to be flashed with ATT's SW? Just want to make this fully work for him. Thanks!
    11-30-09 02:10 PM
    First the simple stuff... go to Options > Mobile Network > is the Connection Preference: Wi-Fi Preferred ???
    11-30-09 04:05 PM
    First the simple stuff... go to Options > Mobile Network > is the Connection Preference: Wi-Fi Preferred ???
    Let me rephrase, it connects to the network but it can't use the WiFi data. It seems like it is trying to authenticate UMA, which is not what I want. UMA won't work with an ATT SIM. I just want to make data work through WiFi.
    11-30-09 04:09 PM
    Data does not work through Wifi, unless you have a Blackberry Data Plan... does the person with the AT&T Sim card have a Blackberry Data Plan???
    11-30-09 04:18 PM
    Data does not work through Wifi, unless you have a Blackberry Data Plan... does the person with the AT&T Sim card have a Blackberry Data Plan???
    Wait, wait, wait... ATT doesn't let you use WiFi unless you have an ATT data plan?? No, he doesn't. It's just a temp phone for him.
    11-30-09 04:21 PM
    Then he can use Wifi for data... he might be able to use the Browser and a few other apps, but not Data required apps.
    11-30-09 04:27 PM
    Then he can use Wifi for data... he might be able to use the Browser and a few other apps, but not Data required apps.
    That's what I've been saying though, the browser doesn't even work. It comes up with the "you're not in a data area" thing. The problem is that it isn't authenticating. But my WiFi is open. I don't know why data isn't working.
    11-30-09 04:29 PM
    Not totally sure, but I believe AT&T requires a Blackberry Data Plan to use THEIR wifi... at least that is what I thought I'd read once or twice... that's just another reason why I don't like AT&T!!!
    11-30-09 04:33 PM
    Not totally sure, but I believe AT&T requires a Blackberry Data Plan to use THEIR wifi... at least that is what I thought I'd read once or twice... that's just another reason why I don't like AT&T!!!
    Well I'm not using their WiFi or their phone.

Any other opinions?
    11-30-09 04:35 PM
    Round and round she goes, where she stops nobody knows!!!

Your trying to use a Wifi... doesn't have to be THEIR Wifi... still the same results... it requires a Blackberry Data Plan... get a Blackberry Data Plan.
    11-30-09 04:39 PM
    Hey guys, just wondering what's going on. I have a T-Mobile 8900 I unlocked and gave to my buddy who has ATT. When trying to use WiFi (not UMA, I know that won't work), it won't get data on any WiFi network. It connects but just can't use data. I never had a problem with it when I used it with a T-Mo SIM. In Wifi Diagnostics, it shows "ISP or T-Mobile Error". Does it need to be flashed with ATT's SW? Just want to make this fully work for him. Thanks!
    Follow the WiFi Guide link in my signature so that you can get the device setup correctly to utilize the WiFi connection properly. If that still does not work then it is likely a problem with the AT&T network.
    12-01-09 10:53 PM
    Has he changed his IMEI with at&t. I had the same problem with a backup I had to use for a day.
    12-02-09 04:48 PM
    GSM phone usually automatically register properly on the network.

did you go through the wifi setup process? if so, did you change the default browser to the hotspot one is he doesnt have a BB data plan?
    12-02-09 09:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD