OK, here's my situation. I have had AT&T Blackberries since the first one. One reason I've stuck with AT&T is I got a charter plan of unlimited voice for $99. I use over 5,000 minutes per month so that means a lot to me.

For years AT&T refused to let me upgrade to new devices without giving up that plan, so I have purchased unlocked phones for many years to preserve my plan. My latest is a Curve, which no longer charges the battery through its USB port, so I need to get a new phone.

Now AT&T offers a $99 unlimited voice plan for new phones, so when the Bold comes out it seems like a no-brainer to upgrade. Here's the question:

I briefly flirted with an iPhone and loved it... except I took it back because the keyboard sucked and wouldn't rotate to a landscape orientation, didn't support Bluetooth stereo headsets, and you couldn't cut, copy & paste. Those problems still exist.

But otherwise, it was so cool that I wanted to love it. Well, the Storm seems to have it all, at least based on what I know now.

So am wrestling with two options:

1. Upgrade my AT&T service to a Bold and renew my contract with a $99 unlimimted plan and if I really prefer the Storm, wait a little while and buy an unlocked device and use it with my AT&T plan; or

2. Continue to limp along swapping batteries on my Curve until the Storm comes out, and then switch to Verizon assuming they have a comparable plan.

So, my questions are these: will I be able to use an unlocked Storm on AT&T? Does Verizon have a $99 unlimited plan? Is Verizon's service stronger than AT&T and is their high speed network as good/better?

I'm sure many of these issues have been discussed before, but I haven't seen any posts raising the issue quite this way.

Thanks for your input.
    09-17-08 07:34 PM
    Its not gonna happen. The Storm is a CDMA device and At&t is a GSM network.
    09-17-08 07:36 PM
    Also, as far as your idea of possibly switching to Verizon--check with others in your area where you'll be using your phone that already have Verizon. If the coverage isn't as good as you have now I wouldn't switch. Each carriers signal strength varies in different parts of the country.
    09-17-08 07:43 PM
    OK, so that answers the question about whether I can use the Storm on AT&T. What about the other questions, do I want to wait and switch?
    09-17-08 07:48 PM
    In answer to Jimmers, I travel a fair amount, so am more interested in the overall quality and speed of the network. For example, I travel the DC-NY Amtrak route very often, and AT&T drops very often. Does Verizon as well?
    09-17-08 07:53 PM
    OK, so that answers the question about whether I can use the Storm on AT&T. What about the other questions, do I want to wait and switch?
    Well, Verizon has as plan at $79.99 for 450 minutes. They don't have a unlimited $99.00 if that helps you answer your other question.
    09-17-08 07:59 PM
    Ok, first off, don't pay attention to any of the previous posts. They are incorrect. The 95xx is a hybrid device, and very few people know what kind of radio is inside. I'm not going to tell you though. What I will tell you is the Thunder which is the 9500 is a GSM device, and if you buy one and unlock it, you can use it on AT&T. SO theres no need for you to switch. I'm not going to get into the "exclusive" with Verizon. But, the Thunder is going to Rogers, therefore you can use it on AT&T.
    09-17-08 08:02 PM
    That's what I wanted to hear!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-08 08:15 PM
    Its what I wanted to hear too. Thanks for the accurate info...
    09-17-08 09:10 PM
    Why don't you just buy a battery charging pod for your Curve, so that you can just rest it in the docking pod, and therefore not have to charge it thru the USB port, and not have to worry about changing phones for a while?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-08 06:29 AM
    will I be able to use an unlocked Storm on AT&T? Does Verizon have a $99 unlimited plan? Is Verizon's service stronger than AT&T and is their high speed network as good/better?
    Its not gonna happen. The Storm is a CDMA device and At&t is a GSM network.
    mostly incorrect.

the Storm is a CDMA device, but it is a dual mode world phone. it will have a 4 band GSM radio included with SIM.

your questions in order: yes, yes, depends on your area, theoretically yes.
    09-18-08 08:53 AM
    the Storm is a CDMA device, but it is a dual mode world phone. it will have a 4 band GSM radio included with SIM.
    Maybe.

But if they make this like they did the 8830 WE, then the only GSM frequencies that it supports are the ones used in Europe and Asia. It won't work on US/Canadian GSM networks.
    09-18-08 10:52 AM
    ^^ read the marketing leaflet - "quad band support"

I remember reading somewhere that it will roam on GSM 3G networks here in the US where VZW might not get a signal (like that is a possibility!)....now the probability is that VZW will not let you unlock it for use on GSM networks OR if they disable band selection functionality?
    09-18-08 10:56 AM
    Maybe.

But if they make this like they did the 8830 WE, then the only GSM frequencies that it supports are the ones used in Europe and Asia. It won't work on US/Canadian GSM networks.
    read the box. photos of the box have already been released.
    09-18-08 10:58 AM
    read the box. photos of the box have already been released.
    I'm looking at the box right now. I'm not seeing anywhere on it that specifies what frequency the GSM reciever will pick up. I'm not denying that it can connect to a GSM network, but the networks in Europe and Asia use a different frequency than the one used in the US and Canada.
    09-18-08 11:16 AM
    I'm looking at the box right now. I'm not seeing anywhere on it that specifies what frequency the GSM reciever will pick up. I'm not denying that it can connect to a GSM network, but the networks in Europe and Asia use a different frequency than the one used in the US and Canada.
    it says 4 band. there are only 4 gsm bands used worldwide.

kind of a process of elimination, except not.
    09-18-08 11:23 AM
    it says 4 band. there are only 4 gsm bands used worldwide.
    Ah hah! There's the missing piece of information. I didn't realize that there were only the four band.

Good for them. It just doesn't make any sense to have a GSM enabled phone and not have it work in the US.
    09-18-08 03:22 PM
    I just want to say that some of you have no idea what you are talking about.. To answer the questions and concerns that people have about verizon vs at&t and prices. First off verizon's 450 min plan is not 79.99 ******* it's 39.99 The 79.99 premium plan gives you 450 mins but that includes unlimited everything. (DATA, Txting, Mobile Email, VZ Navigator, V Cast Video and Music) secondly Verizon DOES offer an unlimited voice plan for 99.99 just like at&t and 3rd of all Verizon HAS THE BEST NETWORK NO QUESTIONS ASKED SWITCH TO VERIZON AT&T BLOWS!!!!!

P.S.

I WORK FOR THEM I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT...
    12-11-08 12:29 PM
    I just want to say that some of you have no idea what you are talking about.. To answer the questions and concerns that people have about verizon vs at&t and prices. First off verizon's 450 min plan is not 79.99 ******* it's 39.99 The 79.99 premium plan gives you 450 mins but that includes unlimited everything. (DATA, Txting, Mobile Email, VZ Navigator, V Cast Video and Music) secondly Verizon DOES offer an unlimited voice plan for 99.99 just like at&t and 3rd of all Verizon HAS THE BEST NETWORK NO QUESTIONS ASKED SWITCH TO VERIZON AT&T BLOWS!!!!!

P.S.

I'm pretty certain there is a more professional way to reply to this thread...just a thought.
    12-11-08 08:27 PM

P.S.

I'm pretty certain there is a more professional way to reply to this thread...just a thought.
    Yes there is, and quite frankly, I don't think kbizzles' post did anything except give us all a strong first impression of them.
    12-11-08 08:43 PM
    It really wasn't hard to tell from kbizzles post that they must work for verizon. Like other people have stated check coverage in your area to see who is best for you. Also I believe verizon will provide an unlock code to use other carriers sim cards (like over seas) after 60 days. You could use another carrier in the US in theory but would need to get the correct service books for the blackberry sent. Already reports of Tmobile users doing this, just no 3G since it doesnt have tmobiles 3G band.
    12-14-08 10:42 PM

P.S.

Actually, Verizon vs. AT&T, I've had nothing but BAD experiences with Verizon. So best network? Not necessarily, if you don't live anywhere near their coverage areas.
    12-15-08 01:19 AM
    I've been using an unlocked storm on at&t because I unlocked my iPhone 3g and sold it for a pretty good penny. I had a pearl before the first iPhone and was very happy so I had to give the storm a shot. The updated software makes the phone run faster except the camera. Thats still not very quick but gives a very clear pic so cant complain. But i'm having a tough time uploading my at&t service book on the phone. I can find the shared\loader files folder in my research in motion folder.. Its a pain in the ***. Is there any way to download the desktop manager again and maybe it will magically appear? I'm on os 4.7.0.75 and can't find that file in a folder to delete the vender.xml file. Can someone offer any advice?
    01-02-09 12:37 PM

Hope this helps a lil ....

GSM/GPRS/EDGE - 1900/1800/900/850 MHz
    UMTS/HSDPA - 2100/1900/850 MHz

US (850/1900 MHz)
    Canada (1900 MHz)
    Europe or Asia (1800 MHz)
    01-02-09 12:44 PM
    Hope this helps a lil ....

GSM/GPRS/EDGE - 1900/1800/900/850 MHz
    UMTS/HSDPA - 2100/1900/850 MHz

US (850/1900 MHz)
    Canada (1900 MHz)
    Europe or Asia (1800 MHz)
    Yup...the bottom line is, you CAN unlock a Storm's GSM part and use it on AT&T, but you won't be able to use 3G/HSDPA in North America, only EDGE, because the 3G network frequencies are different. You will be able to use 3G/HSDPA in Europe, though.
    01-02-09 03:32 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD