I've been reading some of the other threads and I'm not sure what the conclusion really was.

I purchased an unlocked 8320 from ebay. I made sure it was unlocked upon arrival.

I started with OS 4.2. The wifi worked at this point.

I upgraded to 4.5 and the wifi now does not work.

How do I get the wifi to connect?

Also, I do not have a data plan. From the other threads I am still confused, am I able to use the wifi without a data plan?
    06-12-09 05:05 PM
    you can use wifi without a data plan, some apps will not work without the blackberry data plan
    maybe you need to setup your wifi again
    06-12-09 06:02 PM
    I got the wifi to connect.

if I go online, is there a way to make sure I only use the wifi and not edge?
    06-12-09 06:10 PM
    Options / Advanced Options / Browser. Set the default Browser to Hotspot.

It will work through your Wifi connection only. If you try to use it outside of the Wifi Hotspot, you get an error.

Out of curisody, when you have a Wifi connection, do you have 'uma' on your display? If so, that means your voice and text are using the T-Mobile servers. There will be no difference, other then signal quality in poor service areas.
    06-12-09 06:58 PM
    Thanks that worked great.

No UMA doesnt display. I think its because I'm using a ATT sim card.

Also is there a list of popular 3rd party apps and whether they can opperate on just wifi? Things like facebook and the like.
    06-13-09 02:14 AM
    06-13-09 07:59 AM
    This thread has been extremely helpful for me. I am a BB newbie, having started with Palm OS & moved to WM Palm with the Treo 750, & now have the unbranded Treo Pro w/ WM 6.1.

I just bought an used unlocked T-Mobile 8320 & also plan to use it on AT&T with no data plan, just like the OP. I don't have it yet.

The difference is I want to use it with AT&T prepay SIM for voice & SMS together with WiFi for data. My question is will this plan work?

Thanks Much

PS: I am posting from my Treo but the footnote says *Crackberry*, interesting!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by charlyee; 06-13-09 at 10:22 AM.
    06-13-09 10:18 AM
    I want to use it with AT&T prepay SIM for voice & SMS together with WiFi for data. My question is will this plan work?
    Yes.

Subject to the limitation that only Hotspot Browser can be used with Wifi.

BlackBerry Email, messaging, and most third party software does not work.

The Hotspot Browser can be used with our WAP site and many others. Web based Email, like Google's Gmail can be used.
    06-13-09 01:19 PM
    Yes.

Subject to the limitation that only Hotspot Browser can be used with Wifi.

BlackBerry Email, messaging, and most third party software does not work.

The Hotspot Browser can be used with our WAP site and many others. Web based Email, like Google's Gmail can be used.
    Thanks very much. That will definitely suffice initially since I have unlimited data plan on my Treo.

I am sure I will have more questions after I start playing with it, please bear with me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-09 02:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD