Blah blah blah, I'll wait till I have my Z10 in my hand before I listen to someone who used a beta device/OS for 10 minutes.
    01-15-13 04:21 PM
    Doubtless, this was a compromise that RIM decided was acceptable for the sake of making the 9900/9930 as thin as it is. Personally, I don't mind the snapshots I get from my 9900, but I'll admit that it's hardly the best camera ever put in a cellphone.
    It seemed like a step backwards compared to other BlackBerry devices I had before it. I took some nice pictures with the 9700 and the 8900
    01-15-13 04:22 PM
    Blah blah blah, I'll wait till I have my Z10 in my hand before I listen to someone who used a beta device/OS for 10 minutes.
    I've had mine since August. Somewhat more than "10 minutes".
    01-15-13 04:23 PM
    O.K. Maybe almost 5 months and ten minutes?
    01-15-13 06:01 PM
    A beta (alpha?) developer device is not the same as the final product. Do not judge till the actual product is available with the release OS.
    01-15-13 06:27 PM
    I don't get why RIM can't aspire to be in the top 10 of best phone cameras...
    Because a good chunk of their customers have no use for a top notch camera. In fact, a lot of those customers buy blackberrys with no camera module at all. I'm talking about those business customers working in highly secure environments.

Basically, speaking from an economics perspective, RIM has less to gain from aspiring to be a top notch camera producer compared to other OEMs where people expect good cameras like Sony Ericsson or Nokia.

With that said, RIM may change their tone for BB10. We'll see when the phones launch.
    01-15-13 06:47 PM
    To me, either way, I am sure it is going to be more then acceptable. I think there has definitely been a decline in digital cam sales thanks to a lot of the good ones that are available on cell phones nowadays. I also think that the manufacturers of cams know this, which is possibly why cams on phones are getting better since most people like the convenience of only carrying one device with them. I would tend to think that cams on phones will only continue to improve. For what it may or may not be worth, I was discussing this with my boss the other day, and he spent over 20 years with a well known cell phone company. He told me that it is all in the software, or the majority of it is anyway. I am sure Z10 is going to have a lot of useful cam apps for it. I already saw at least one posted on the forums here, and I was pretty impressed with the results. If the cam app "Timeshift" works well in the Nokia phones to which I heard it was pretty impressive, shows that it is not buggy or doesn't lag, providing Z10 is a stable O/S which I know it will be, would prove that if there are any glitches it might be some minor compatibility issues that will be able to be tweaked for optimum performance, so it runs flawlessly or as close to flawless as it possibly can
    tinysalmon likes this.
    01-15-13 07:09 PM
    could be a debug build of software.

could be logging events to optimize in final build

etc etc etc
    01-15-13 07:22 PM
    Can any that has used a bb10 device comment
    People on here that have used a blackberry 10 device have commented. They just don't have the final software or hardware yet.
    01-15-13 07:22 PM
    But I wasn't talking about you.... I was talking about bazinga or whatever his name is.
    01-15-13 08:26 PM
    Because a good chunk of their customers have no use for a top notch camera. In fact, a lot of those customers buy blackberrys with no camera module at all. I'm talking about those business customers working in highly secure environments.

Basically, speaking from an economics perspective, RIM has less to gain from aspiring to be a top notch camera producer compared to other OEMs where people expect good cameras like Sony Ericsson or Nokia.

With that said, RIM may change their tone for BB10. We'll see when the phones launch.
    Totally disagree with this thought, before the instgram privacy issue tons of BB users were hoping for that app... Short of professional photographers or bloggers most civilians only carry their phones to take pics. Not having a top notch camera will be considered a fail from the general public and investors.
    We are talking about RIM creating a product that is on par or better with the market place, not releasing something half a$$ed
    01-16-13 10:20 AM
    ...Personally, I don't mind the snapshots I get from my 9900, but I'll admit that it's hardly the best camera ever put in a cellphone.

Where the EDOF camera REALLY becomes an irritant is when trying to scan barcodes or take pictures of text. It's just awful for those applications.
    Absolutely. I 100% agree with you on that comment, reading a barcode with my 9900 is almost painful, but otherwise its adequate.

I don't get why RIM can't aspire to be in the top 10 of best phone cameras.....people would flock to them in droves if they produced a quality device which could contend with the best out there...

this is their ONE shot...and they need to knock this one clear out of the ball park the very first time....I fear they won't have time for updates or patches...
    You see.. there's this attitude, and then there's 10 threads about how the device BETTER NOT!!! cost more then $XX dollars...

You can't have it both ways.. does the camera need to be good? even great? yes.. people use their camera phones now.. a few years ago it was an option, now its a daily necessity, so it needs to take a good picture for posting on facebook or twitter or even instagram (shudders).. but does it need to be THE BEST CAMERA EVER ON A MOBILE PHONE!!!!!??? Personally I'd rather keep the phone at a quasi reasonable price point and take the 2 thousand dollar DSLR I already own out when I need to do some real shooting at 16MP to make billboard ad's.. if everyone is ok with a $900+ phone, then sure.. it can have the absolute best of EVERYTHING..
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-16-13 11:14 AM
    The CAMERA itself is excellent. It's the Time-Shift feature that's laggy. As others have pointed out here, the Dev Alphas don't represent final hardware, and I'm sure the software will have seen significant tweaking by release.
    Do you know any details about the camera (i.e. Aperture size, does it have a backlit sensor, etc)? I was thinking the same thing. Why would BB need to put a higher end camera in the Dev Alphas, given their primary use is for software development.
    jesse_h likes this.
    01-16-13 11:37 AM
    Absolutely. I 100% agree with you on that comment, reading a barcode with my 9900 is almost painful, but otherwise its adequate.

You see.. there's this attitude, and then there's 10 threads about how the device BETTER NOT!!! cost more then $XX dollars...

You can't have it both ways.. does the camera need to be good? even great? yes.. people use their camera phones now.. a few years ago it was an option, now its a daily necessity, so it needs to take a good picture for posting on facebook or twitter or even instagram (shudders).. but does it need to be THE BEST CAMERA EVER ON A MOBILE PHONE!!!!!??? Personally I'd rather keep the phone at a quasi reasonable price point and take the 2 thousand dollar DSLR I already own out when I need to do some real shooting at 16MP to make billboard ad's.. if everyone is ok with a $900+ phone, then sure.. it can have the absolute best of EVERYTHING..
    I wanted to elaborate by what I said earlier - I would like to see the BB10 phones be an overall 8-9 for most of the population (in all departments, not just the camera)...I'm already convinced that this new OS and the heavy use of touch is the next big thing...but the way consumers are these days, there are so many comparisons out there; not to mention the 2 main OS's have hard core user bases that have been built over the past 2-3 years...gone are the days when people would buy BBs for being strong in one or two departments (security, email, keyboard); most people want their phones to be able to carry out almost all of their daily tasks. Sure, if I want the best pics for a special occasion, I will def break out the DSLR but otherwise I would prefer to use my smartphone.

I'm cautiously optimistic and personally rooting for RIM
    01-16-13 02:19 PM
    but video taking has no problem, how come the camera will be laggy? possibly there's bug

01-17-13 12:48 AM
    Bezinga is an investment/stock website, they reviewed the phone from the investment stand point.
    01-17-13 02:36 AM
    Bezinga is an investment/stock website, they reviewed the phone from the investment stand point.
    O.K. So basically what they are saying is that they would like to see it fail because of a camera issue that will possibly steer potential buyers that really want the best camera on this phone away from buying it. In other words, everything else is PERFECT with the phone, and since they can not find anything else to knock, they are aiming for the camera. LOL
    01-17-13 05:37 AM
    but video taking has no problem, how come the camera will be laggy? possibly there's bug

Testvideo bei Nacht mit dem BlackBerry Z10 - YouTube
    Camera looks good too.
    "Unfortunately for Research In Motion, BB10's camera is currently laggy and glitchy"-8376748587_52f02ea7bd_z.jpg

This tells me that if the camera is glitchy, ect. it would be software, not hardware, & this will probably be ironed out by the time BB10 launches (or atleast I hope it will be)
    01-17-13 06:16 AM
    .......bit worried about the quality of this picture though.....
    #1. Wishing Barcelona | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    01-17-13 06:17 AM
    Keep in mind you are also comparing a device using 1GB of RAM with a device that has 2GB of RAM, newer OS (as well as fully functional). The camera, even in the early demos of the real device people have gotten, is not laggy.
    01-17-13 06:18 AM
    Keep in mind you are also comparing a device using 1GB of RAM with a device that has 2GB of RAM, newer OS (as well as fully functional). The camera, even in the early demos of the real device people have gotten, is not laggy.
    I guess depends if you want to believe what people say over the internet. I've read a few comments from various posters on this site who've gotten to see final hardware (not software) devices and in a couple instances they noted the camera seemed buggy (one even noted it hung and crashed). Obviously, take anything anyone says with a grain of salt, and either way, I won't make any judgements until the device is released and reviews are out. Besides, I think my requriements for camera quality is quite low, as my Gnex never got good ratings for it's camera, and yet it seems fine to me.
    01-17-13 08:18 AM
    .......bit worried about the quality of this picture though.....
    #1. Wishing Barcelona | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Why cause it uses filters..lol

I highly doubt the camera will crash or take crap pictures. RIM knows people will be heavily using a camera!
    01-17-13 11:39 AM
47 12