Well, it is a gap, not the grand Canyon. I'm still on 10.1 and I'm just eager for the new OS features.

I remember when we had something called the "app gap". I believed it was HUGE! That there were thousands of amazing apps that I could not use and was sad.
    Then the 10.2.1 update came, and I believed I would fill my phone with apps and games. But now I have just 2 or 3 (which I still don't even use regularly). And I would think very hard of what to download. And I wouldnt come up with anything. I would even go through their top apps and games.
    Even my friends, whom I helped go through the process of updating and installing apk's. After installing instagram and maybe 2 more, they'll be like: "what's next?" or "what else?"

Attachment 246271

This has happened like 4 times. This underwhelming feeling made me sad, because the so called app gap that was not really a gap, could have killed a brilliant hardworking Company. And I feel guilty.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 11:21 AM
    Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.
    Hate to say it but this thread is bunk. We bitched for years about apps. Only RECENTLY have we started to be able to participate in better native mainstream apps without having to sideload. Even so, In no way does this mean there isn't an app gap.

Everyone has different needs hence the need for for an app store that has depth. Only with the latest updates to BB10 has the phone rounded out and become once again above par. (Fix that stupid Exchange/Activesync reset and we are set). The ability to use the Android app stores rocks.

You may only need a banking app or google maps, but hey, it allows you to use your phone fully for what you want. Me, I want my Ski Resort specific apps that track my runs via GPS , show the weather, snow fall, interactive maps etc that aren't available for BB10. Pretty much every home automation app isn't available on BB10. Pretty much any cam app (wireless go pro or other) isn't available for BB10. Exercise apps, Micoach, or Fitbit isn't available on BB10. But hey they are with the Android stores. Keep in mind it is a big world out there, what you consider a small app gap might be viewed as massive to others. The global consumer market has resoundingly shown this to be true.

I may not use these apps everyday but I am so glad I can flick a screen and have them available. Makes BB10 relative and useful to a wide market comparable to what is pretty much standard offering these days. While I am looking forward to more native support I can say the app gap is definitely closed but only through being able use both BB and Android app stores.
    aha and drewood66 like this.
    02-10-14 11:26 AM
    So... BlackBerry should not try to get those people back to BlackBerry ecosystem, instead, they should just make decisions to please the existing user base? Or to be more specific, the part of existing user base that agrees with you?

Lol

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.1925+1926 radio
    I am sure BB is doing absolutely nothing. Taking 6 months off.
    Brand new operating system, less than 1 year old. Are there problems? Yes. Are they ignoring anyone? No. At this time their only choice was run-time in addition to OS10. I think we will all be surprised as to what they have or am working on. I know - when, when, when.........
    02-10-14 11:43 AM
    I remember when we had rotary phones with two ring tones.... Dial tone and busy signal!
    Kids are so spoiled today, it's underwhelming!
    02-10-14 12:09 PM
    No mate the point is not being missed. The OP and the rest if us agree that having the app access and option is great and we do agree that BlackBerry definitely needs them. What we do realise however and this is in no way missing the point, is that the app gap as it was portrayed in the media was never as bad as it was made out to be. Even today that we have access to android apps, if you go online you still see various media still bringing up the app gap, loads of posters online are still bringing up the app gap whereas in reality, there is virtually no app gap. How do you explain that?
    The OP wrote,
    Then the 10.2.1 update came, and I believed I would fill my phone with apps and games. But now I have just 2 or 3 (which I still don't even use regularly). And I would think very hard of what to download. And I wouldnt come up with anything. I would even go through their top apps and games.
    His main point was that the access to Android apps was underwhelming because he discovered he didn't need or want many.

We both agree that BlackBerry needs apps, especially the popular ones, for the simple reason that they are popular and therefore in demand. The popular apps that are missing are where the gap is widest. It's only indirectly about numbers of apps.

Android probably has thousands of utility apps that allow the user to modify the way Android works. Few of them are relevant to BB10. But productivity apps, financial apps, and popular entertainment apps are relevant to any smartphone user. These are the ones that, if missing, give people strong reasons to turn to a different platform. There have been enough in this category to add up to a real problem for BlackBerry from the start, and that is no media exaggeration. The ability to install .apk files directly will close the gap substantially if and when people can browse through a well-stocked app store to get them, with the expectation that they will run. We're closer to that but not there yet, which is undoubtedly why BlackBerry is not saying anything about this.

Suppose, for example, that BlackBerry is able to get permission to pre-install the Amazon app store on BB10 devices, or make it availble in BB World. For this to be a success, the Amazon store apps would need to be tagged so that the ones that won't run on BB10 can't be downloaded, giving the user a message, "Sorry, this app is not available for your device," or something like that. Without that, you'll have people downloading apps that don't run, maybe even paying for them, and that will be chaos. As long as the BB10 Android app situation has the current Wild West aspect, the app gap is as bad as it has even been.
    02-10-14 12:15 PM
    When you look at the list of missing apps that users so desperately want, they are all Instagram, Vine, Netflix, Candy Crush, Fruit Ninja, and so on. Primarily apps that kids want. The only app that is missing for me is the Navy Federal Credit Union app...but I got that on my iPad. I did install the apk on my Z10...and only ended up using it once or twice.

It has been proven time and time again that the desire to have "choice" is largely an illusion as human beings have a tendency to only use the same one or two items over and over again. A Pew research not too long ago revealed that the average smartphone user only has something like ten apps installed, and, out of that number only use perhaps three on a regular basis.

I have had Netflix installed on every Android handset and iPad I have owned...never used that app once. I don't even watch Netflix on my laptop...
    Netflix is an app that primarily kids want? I'd say millions of adults with paid subscriptions disagree. Just because YOU don't have use for Netflix on the go doesn't mean that others share the sentiment. I use Netflix on my phone while at the gym during long cardio sessions. I also use it on my tablet during weekend mornings when I want to stay tucked into my warm and cozy bed but still want to watch an episode or two of a show I'm watching, and when I'm at the airport during long layovers. Come to think of it, ever since I got Chromecast I use the Netflix app on my phone and tablet to stream to my TV instead of using my laptop and HDMI cable.

As I've stated earlier in this thread, I have no use for any of the popular games. They're time wasters and battery drainers to me. HOWEVER, I don't dismiss the fact that others - even some hardcore BlackBerry users - want them on their devices. Back when BB10 first launched and people were playing around with sideloading Android apps and contributing to threads discussing which apps were working, there were TONS of people reporting in that such and such game was/wasn't working. That tells me it was important to them that they took the time to download it and try it out.

I think the whole attitude of "Why would people even want this on their mobile device?" harkens back to the Lazardis/Basille era when they decided that all people needed was fast and secure (but truncated) email. We saw how well that worked out for them in the long run.
    02-10-14 12:30 PM
    App gap = apps you need not being available. No one said anything about needing to install a large number of apps. It could be a unique handful for each person. The key is having those apps in your app store to satisfy the needs of all your users. Apple and Android have this covered. Blackberry does not. Despite the ability to install Android apps directly, I am still reading far too many stories of the Android player not running apps smoothly. This is in addition to most users not knowing about installing/using third party app stores.

The app gap is real and Blackberry still has work to do.
    JeepBB and drewood66 like this.
    02-10-14 12:35 PM
    I have to agree with most of the posters, I too thought I needed a bunch more apps, but have found I really needed none. I side loaded Snap and the Amazon store and downloaded a few apps and games. The games got deleted within days and I've only kept Netflix, turns out I had everything I needed and only added on what I wanted. But still nice to shut up my iSon about the app gap :-)
    02-10-14 12:39 PM
    I disagree, and I'll quickly explain. The term "app Gap" wasnt necessarily speaking to the number of apps available for BB10, but actually the number of heavily used quality apps available for BB10. There are only about 6 apps a smartphone needs in order to be sell(able). Those may include Facebook, Google maps, Instagram, Youtube, Native Cloud storage apps SkyDrive Google Drive, Banking apps, Social Gaming apps WordsWithFriends... Without an essential 6 or so apps the phone WILL NOT sell. We may not personally use all these apps but if the phone doesnt have them the masses wont touch the device. Hence the "app gap"
    02-10-14 12:54 PM
    This reminds me of my childhood when I slouched in front of my lunch.... and my mom�s discontent: my eyes were bigger than my belly...

But then I was 5 years old and we talk about noodles. Humiliatingly now we talk about adults and the continuity of thousands of jobs at BlackBerry...
    02-10-14 02:04 PM
    I agree to an extent (which is why I'm on Windows Phone and not the leading competition), but there are those that needed this update to get several apps that BBW don't have.
    02-10-14 03:07 PM
    I totally agree. I downloaded a few and was left with a 'meh' feeling. Nothing too exciting to me.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 03:37 PM
    I use about 10 apps on a regular basis, got more apps but to play with or to test them a bit. Having my Q10 for about a year, BB World has provided enough native apps which cover my needs more than adequately. Never understood what the app gap was all about, seemed like some people were dying for not having certain apps. It's good that BB 10 can run android apps to show its versatility. A lot of people discarded BB 10 for its lack of apps but the new OS should have been their focus. After a year and almost 3 updates (no 10.2.1 yet for me) I rather stick with BB 10. I came (back) from android (Note 2 and GS2) so I never understood the app gap fuzz in the 1st place, never been app orientated but to each their own.
    02-10-14 03:39 PM
    Shazam? naah sound hound is good enough
    I completely disagree with this - though I like the UI of SoundHound, its recognition rate is underwhelming ...

Google maps?
    As long as BB Maps don't over public transport info - at least where the bus stops and train stations are - there's the need for Google Maps. But BeMaps closes this gap almost perfectly ...

I never felt there's an app gap - but I must say, I installed more Android apps than I expected:
    - The app of my bank: Not so much better but a small improvement to the mobile site
    - An app of my favourite sports magazine - their mobile website is pathetic
    - A very cool public transport app (TransitTimes+): It seems that BB users don't use public transport The offer of native apps is disappointing
    - Shazam (but I already sideloaded it before)

I also think, it's great to have the availability to go to Google Play as a lot of "Free Event Apps" (for art shows, Vivid Sydney etc) will only be available for iPhone and Android ...

All in all: I used Snap at lot more and installed more Android apps than I expected but there is no (and never was) a critical app gap
    02-10-14 05:14 PM
    Still used all over the world.

When a tree cutting service can come to my house to prune my trees and I give him a check and he deposits right in front of me on his iPad, it rankles that I don't have that option natively on my BUSINESS ORIENTED device, when iPads and iPhones are supposedly toys and my BlackBerry is supposedly a business device for uber connected business people.

THAT is a problem.

When I am able to conduct business (insurance, banking, stock) on my phone though the use of native apps, THEN there won't be an app gap.

There IS an app gap. It is not marketing or a phsychological thing and there is no conspiracy. I can't conduct business on my BlackBerry with made for BlackBerry apps but I can conduct them on my iPhone? THAT is an app gap. Anything else is a band aid.
    It seems like you have much to complain about with Blackberry so why keep using it then?

Oh, and just wondering why you have to brag about every device you have by having a line saying sent from my awesome whatever ? I have every device you have and then some but I don't make it a point to try and advertise that fact - like who cares how many devices I have. LOL
    02-10-14 06:20 PM
    It seems like you have much to complain about with Blackberry so why keep using it then?

Oh, and just wondering why you have to brag about every device you have by having a line saying sent from my awesome whatever ? I have every device you have and then some but I don't make it a point to try and advertise that fact - like who cares how many devices I have. LOL
    Not to speak for her, but a lot of people have signatures like that. You haven't seen things like "Sent from my amazing Z30" or "Sent from my awesome iPhone 5s"? Cmon...tons of people do it.

Again, not to speak for her, so I'll speak for myself. Not everything is positive about BlackBerry, and it seems like any legitimate flaw is just ignored and the person who brings it up is ripped to shreds. Instead, these flaws/problems should be embraced by CB, and taken to heart by BlackBerry so they can improve. You can't improve if you just shove all the bad stuff under the rug and act as if it's not there. But it's there.

Photo a Day: C002B5A07, my amateur photography Channel
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-10-14 06:28 PM
    Seems like the people who don't want Android apps are making lots of personal attacks in this thread. Why? There is no reason for hostility towards people who want BlackBerry to keep up with the other platforms in offering the big name apps.
    ajst222 and JeepBB like this.
    02-10-14 06:36 PM
    Seems like the people who don't want Android apps are making lots of personal attacks in this thread. Why? There is no reason for hostility towards people who want BlackBerry to keep up with the other platforms in offering the big name apps.
    Beautifully said! Thank you

02-10-14 06:38 PM
    Not to speak for her, but a lot of people have signatures like that. You haven't seen things like "Sent from my amazing Z30" or "Sent from my awesome iPhone 5s"? Cmon...tons of people do it.

Again, not to speak for her, so I'll speak for myself. Not everything is positive about BlackBerry, and it seems like any legitimate flaw is just ignored and the person who brings it up is ripped to shreds. Instead, these flaws/problems should be embraced by CB, and taken to heart by BlackBerry so they can improve. You can't improve if you just shove all the bad stuff under the rug and act as if it's not there. But it's there.

Fair enough, but I never said Blackberries have no faults - I agree there's tons of problems with a BB but what I don't understand is why most complainers here keep complaining when the simple solution would be to use one of the many other awesome devices that they own.

I just simply pack 2 or 3 phones with me and live with the fact there is no single perfect platform but I'm not always on here complaining or knocking BB, Apple or Google. As far as I'm concerned they ALL have issues.

Sent from my amazing, awesome and out of this world 128GB LTE iPad Air - LOL
    02-10-14 06:40 PM
    Fair enough, but I never said Blackberries have no faults - I agree there's tons of problems with a BB but what I don't understand is why most complainers here keep complaining when the simple solution would be to use one of the many other awesome devices that they own.

I just simply pack 2 or 3 phones with me and live with the fact there is no single perfect platform but I'm not always on here complaining or knocking BB, Apple or Google. As far as I'm concerned they ALL have issues.

Sent from my amazing, awesome and out of this world 128GB LTE iPad Air - LOL
    Again, I hate to speak for qbnkelt hahah but she mainly seems to complain about the apps, and that's a very valid complaint. My guess is that she likes the OS so stays with it, but isn't happy with the app situation.

02-10-14 06:43 PM

Really?!?!?

OK....guess what...I LOVE my gold iPhone 5s. It's awesome. I LOVE my gorgeous burgundy SGIII. And I LOVE my Q10, it's my most loved BlackBerry since my 9700. Sorry, but that is not a crime. It is perfectly normal to love three different devices because you know what....they're not people to whom I have made a vow til death us do part. I can love different devices because each has its own strengths. And because I love each one in turn, I put it in my signature. I don't hide the fact that I've got several devices and I don't hide the fact that I love using them.

I also speak my mind about each device, and if there is something I see that bothers me, I say it. I'm no yes girl and I'm no apologist.

Oh....advance notice.....I'll be getting a Note 4 this year, so I'll have that in my signature too, when I use it. Full disclosure ahead of time.

And I think you might want to read my comments on my Q10....it might be eye opening to you.

And this thread is not about me, so if you have further comments you can PM me rather than derail this further.
    TgeekB likes this.
    02-10-14 07:07 PM
    Really?!?!?

OK....guess what...I LOVE my gold iPhone 5s. It's awesome. I LOVE my gorgeous burgundy SGIII. And I LOVE my Q10, it's my most loved BlackBerry since my 9700. Sorry, but that is not a crime. It is perfectly normal to love three different devices because you know what....they're not people to whom I have made a vow til death us do part. I can love different devices because each has its own strengths. And because I love each one in turn, I put it in my signature. I don't hide the fact that I've got several devices and I don't hide the fact that I love using them.

I also speak my mind about each device, and if there is something I see that bothers me, I say it. I'm no yes girl and I'm no apologist.

Oh....advance notice.....I'll be getting a Note 4 this year, so I'll have that in my signature too, when I use it. Full disclosure ahead of time.

And I think you might want to read my comments on my Q10....it might be eye opening to you.
    I remember when I switched to Windows Phone and got eaten alive for having my Tapatalk signature of "Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928" hahah

02-10-14 07:11 PM
    I remember when I switched to Windows Phone and got eaten alive for having my Tapatalk signature of "Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928" hahah

The things people worry about.....
    ajst222 and JeepBB like this.
    02-10-14 07:14 PM
    Really?!?!?

And this thread is not about me, so if you have further comments you can PM me rather than derail this further.
    Whatever turns your crank

Sent from my NOT SO awesome space grey iPhone 5s
    02-10-14 07:15 PM
    Whatever turns your crank

Sent from my NOT SO awesome space grey iPhone 5s
    Phones do.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-10-14 07:17 PM
214 ... 6789