This is the best post on a CrackBerry forum I have seen.
    I've commented the same thing to colleagues - we all have BlackBerrys.
    How many apps do you really need i asked them and does it make sense that BlackBerry might go tits-up due to the fact that it formerly did not give access to billions of apps that are useless anyways.

Good post

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL and anand_ma like this.
    02-09-14 06:30 AM
    Once again the point is being missed. The reason for having access to thousands of Android apps is not to install thousands, or hundreds, of apps on your BlackBerry. It's too install the one or two apps without which you'd choose a different platform. That's why it makes sense to have this capability.

Do you have an Audible account? You'll need an app to use it. That's just one example, but for a lot of people is not negotiable, and why should it be?

What's really underwhelming is to have an expensive smartphone that can't do what other smartphones do.

Sent via Tapatalk
    02-09-14 07:01 AM
    OP you are right!! 100% RIGHT!
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-09-14 07:24 AM
    LOL.

I completely understand one saying, "there is no gap for ME." That makes sense. By definition, if one is able to use a BBRY device as-is, then an app gap is not an issue for that person IMHO.

But stating stuff that flies in the face of what BBRY itself states (things like there is no app gap or that said app gap has not hurt BBRY or that said app gap is a creation of the media) borders on the comically obtuse.
    mikeo007, bbq10l, bp3dots and 2 others like this.
    02-09-14 07:27 AM
    Once again the point is being missed. The reason for having access to thousands of Android apps is not to install thousands, or hundreds, of apps on your BlackBerry. It's too install the one or two apps without which you'd choose a different platform. That's why it makes sense to have this capability.

Do you have an Audible account? You'll need an app to use it. That's just one example, but for a lot of people is not negotiable, and why should it be?

What's really underwhelming is to have an expensive smartphone that can't do what other smartphones do.

Sent via Tapatalk
    No mate the point is not being missed. The OP and the rest if us agree that having the app access and option is great and we do agree that BlackBerry definitely needs them. What we do realise however and this is in no way missing the point, is that the app gap as it was portrayed in the media was never as bad as it was made out to be. Even today that we have access to android apps, if you go online you still see various media still bringing up the app gap, loads of posters online are still bringing up the app gap whereas in reality, there is virtually no app gap. How do you explain that?

Posted via CB10 on my Z mfk'n 10!
    02-09-14 07:30 AM
    There was an app gap. For you it was a set of 3 to 4 items. For someone else it will be a different set and so on and so forth. Nobody was missing hundreds of apps, but there were hundreds or thousands missing that were barriers for adoption.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 07:33 AM
    Well it is always good to have options and that is what 10.2.1 does. Kudos to BlackBerry for getting this done and for not buying in to the walled garden approach. In the end it will serve them well.

However, as for me, I have downloaded one android app. I deleted about 10. For many, the permissions were beyond silly and I won't put them on my phone. A couple of others I found secondarily on BlackBerry World. Native works better and the files are much smaller.

My son has download a few games which he plays on occasion. I think that will keep him BlackBerry for the foreseeable future. That is a positive.

In the end, the app gap was small for most people although it was perhaps annoying. It takes away one of those barriers for the public.

I have said it before but I will say it again. BB10 is simply the best platform on the market if you want to get stuff done. The only thing BlackBerry needs is that new twist to make it truly unique. I'm looking forward to see what they bring out in fall. As to Apple and google, well they're lost at the moment bringing at best incremental change.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 07:41 AM
    No mate the point is not being missed. The OP and the rest if us agree that having the app access and option is great and we do agree that BlackBerry definitely needs them. What we do realise however and this is in no way missing the point, is that the app gap as it was portrayed in the media was never as bad as it was made out to be. Even today that we have access to android apps, if you go online you still see various media still bringing up the app gap, loads of posters online are still bringing up the app gap whereas in reality, there is virtually no app gap. How do you explain that?

So, to be clear, you believe that most consumers (not your or me) will see the BB10 ecosystem as competitive? You believe apk hunting competes with straightforward installation processes on other platforms?

Interesting, because BBRY itself notes the deficiencies. I find it interesting when folks here proclaim that the BB10 app situation "virtually" matches that of competing platforms.
    JeepBB, Drew808, mikeo007 and 3 others like this.
    02-09-14 07:45 AM
    For me personally, there are more than a few apps that I need to rely on from Snap. Honestly, I hate sideloading and I hate that the Android runtime was ever implemented, but these are apps I use regularly.

Photo a Day: C002B5A07, my amateur photography Channel
    02-09-14 08:14 AM
    Actually there is an app for my credit union on all of the platforms, and I am furious about it. so everyone has an app gap as far as i am concerned. I think they and the credit union owe this to me. I am entitled to this app as a customer.

All right on a serious note. Yes I wanted netflix as a native app....did I get it....no! I have loaded three with snap and its nice to have them but it was and is not a deal breaker for me. My life will not crash if I do not have these apps, my job does not depend on any apps. Yes there was and is a gap for some, no denying it , but .......I think if apps is the deal breaker for you then choose another platform. I think if people stop and think about whats really important to them they might find they really don't "need" to have that app just because all my friends do. You know if I don't have that app I will be left behind and laughed at by my friends. Some friends.
    Would I jump ship because BB doen't have my banking app......no thats like not buying the house of your dreams because you don't like the kitchen faucet.

Am I a minority .....Maybe....even probably, but I think people just need to have realistic priorities. If your job and life, or social life depend on having an app.....................................wow.
    5848pug likes this.
    02-09-14 08:17 AM
    Well I haven't gone the way of loading APKs etc. I like to get my BlackBerry apps from BlackBerry World.

So....I wanted Instagram and waited for iGrann when it came to BBW. I'm now waiting for banking apps as well as my Geico app and I'm using the browser until they do come. I would rather do that than to load APKs or 1mobile. I bought a BlackBerry to be a BlackBerry, not a BlackBerry/Android hybrid. I've already got an Android device. If I hadn't had an Android device I still would have waited, as I'm doing, for those apps to be available in BBW.

I'm in a very small minority here, and I understand that.
    Ummmm, from what I'm reading, it's looking more and more like you're not in that small a minority. I have yet to load any APKs. What I'm finding quite interesting here is many of the reasons BB users aren't loading any/many Android apps are some of the reasons I won't touch Android to begin with, not to mention that they further validate the more important reasons why we do prefer BlackBerry. Just my own observations. In the whole scheme of smart phone users, yeah we're obviously in the minority; but among BB users, you're certainly not alone.
    02-09-14 08:29 AM
    But that's one of life's treasures, we are all normal, most see things differently, most don't like the same things and some do. Blackberry to some is okay the way it is, and some think it should never been changed. I've just got my hands on a Q10 from sprint and I'm just getting used to everything about it. With that said, I might be updating the OS in a few days, and then again I probably won't. But I'm glad to have the option.
    02-09-14 08:37 AM
    So, to be clear, you believe that most consumers (not your or me) will see the BB10 ecosystem as competitive? You believe apk hunting competes with straightforward installation processes on other platforms?

Interesting, because BBRY itself notes the deficiencies. I find it interesting when folks here proclaim that the BB10 app situation "virtually" matches that of competing platforms.
    No mate. I'm not a yes man and I do accept BlackBerry had a problem when it launched BlackBerry 10. However, I was sensible enough to expect that because it was a brand new OS. Just like android was when it launched and so was Windows Phone when it launched. However, everyone banged on about this app gap like that was something out if the ordinary. And yes, I do see your point that most ordinary users would only look for apps on app world so my hope is that instead of waiting for apps to be ported over, BlackBerry actually implement direct access to Google apps the way Snap does as it's obviously easier and possible.

Having said all that, my point was that the situation is not as bad as it is made out to be and also having all these apps is not as great as it was made out to be. And yes you are right, BlackBerry can't compete with the others app stores right now but then again it is the newest OS by a mile so I don't expect it to be either.

There was and still is a very deep resentment for BlackBerry for reasons I still fail to grasp in the media. Even today that this gap has been virtually closed thanks to 10.2.1, a lot still choose to turn a blind eye and try to pretend that BlackBerry World is still what it was a year ago. Case in point, look at Engadget's cover of the 10.2.1 update, all they said was it turns BlackBerry into a radio and back handedly make jest of it but totally ignore the major additions to the OS including the direct apk install capability. How do you justify that really??? Those like BGR totally chose to ignore it but we're quick to say BlackBerry has only 0% share in the US. Yes I know BlackBerry haven't officially announced it but since when did that stop them from singing praise for the other OS's of their preferred choice when they had not yet officially announced stuff they were yet to or already had released. If apple released an update today they would use a fine comb to go through all the updates. For BlackBerry.. nothing.

Just to show how closed the app gap is. I just read on imore that the developer of flappy bird is taking it down within 24 hours due to all the attention he supposedly can't cope with. Guess what I did.. opened snap and installed it within 20 seconds just so I can see what all the fuss is about before its gone. Which app gap?

Last edited by BlackB_G; 02-09-14 at 09:08 AM.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-09-14 08:44 AM
    Agreed, I got instagram and BBC news and sports... then I didn't know what else I could possibly need
    02-09-14 09:06 AM
    Thanks OP first for the great thread. Why is it a great thread, because it points out what most BlackBerry users know in their quiet place. BlackBerry devices meet most of their needs right out of the box. You could have no BlackBerry World, and this device would meet your needs right out of the box....DONT Jump on me folks....but as BlackBerry users look at most of the apps you use, most of the time. the rest you could manage through the Browser. Now add BBW back in.....there were tons of good apps and games. maybe the function of the app had a different name, but they were there! Ok....except for the big name holdouts, Netflix, Instagram, Snapchat etc.....but really.....BlackBerry users most likely in general do not use these apps in a big way. Teenagers using BlackBerry devices, ok, but not the die hard BlackBerry users, not really....i did keep Netflix, but have yet to use it.....maybe when I travel for business, but probably no.

The Big Issue....not being able to have what others could, is a huge psychological factor and the media, backed by Apple and Android exploited this to perfection. I don't blame them either. Apple relies on a closed ecosystem, and an App dependant consumer. OP....you have come to the realization that the "app gap was psychologically way bigger than the reality". This is what big business is trying to keep the lid on.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-09-14 09:37 AM
    @tinochiko

So tell what app is better than the browser? What single app can you replace the browser with?

Oh, sorry, I forgot to lol.

Posted on CB10 with the Q10
    Any app that provides security for your house. I live in a very cold place and when I am away I need an alert if my furnace goes down. My bank app gives me an alert if my debit or credit cards are being used. Games that my grandchild uses like a Lego game or a Sandra Boynton interactive book.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    bbq10l likes this.
    02-09-14 09:50 AM
    Thanks OP first for the great thread. Why is it a great thread, because it points out what most BlackBerry users know in their quiet place. BlackBerry devices meet most of their needs right out of the box. You could have no BlackBerry World, and this device would meet your needs right out of the box....DONT Jump on me folks....but as BlackBerry users look at most of the apps you use, most of the time. the rest you could manage through the Browser. Now add BBW back in.....there were tons of good apps and games. maybe the function of the app had a different name, but they were there! Ok....except for the big name holdouts, Netflix, Instagram, Snapchat etc.....but really.....BlackBerry users most likely in general do not use these apps in a big way. Teenagers using BlackBerry devices, ok, but not the die hard BlackBerry users, not really....i did keep Netflix, but have yet to use it.....maybe when I travel for business, but probably no.

The Big Issue....not being able to have what others could, is a huge psychological factor and the media, backed by Apple and Android exploited this to perfection. I don't blame them either. Apple relies on a closed ecosystem, and an App dependant consumer. OP....you have come to the realization that the "app gap was psychologically way bigger than the reality". This is what big business is trying to keep the lid on.

Posted via CB10
    This may be true for you and some who don't use or need apps, but for those who do, it's definitely not just a "psychological factor".

bbq10l likes this.
    02-09-14 10:09 AM
    Any app that provides security for your house. I live in a very cold place and when I am away I need an alert if my furnace goes down. My bank app gives me an alert if my debit or credit cards are being used. Games that my grandchild uses like a Lego game or a Sandra Boynton interactive book.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    I hear what you are saying, but credit card and debit card companies call if they are suspicious.....also they are backed against fraud.....so is that an necessity. Games for the Grand Children. There are many appropriate games on any platform. The underlying message, is not that we don't appreciate having all the apps, but the App gap was psychologically way bigger than it actually is.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 10:13 AM
    The app gap was a problem when you needed that one app and it wasn't available. Like a banking app, airline, education, or something for work, etc. Once you get the app or apps you wanted all along, I think you kind of notice that other than those apps, you weren't missing much. Yes you were missing the choices you now have, but few really take advantage of that so it is an overstated problem. It is a problem nonetheless, but in my opinion it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 10:19 AM
    I'm not a big game player, so it's understandable how someone could download a popular game on BB10, play it for awhile, get bored, and think "huh, there's no app gap!" But that's not how I use apps. I value the ability to transfer information between apps. For example, if I'm going on a trip somewhere I look on Foursquare for attractions I'd like to see/places I'd like to go, click "share," and a list of various apps come up. I select Evernote, and it creates an entry for that listing, complete with a link back to the entry on Foursquare. I can also move items over to my calendar or create tasks. I can create an entire itinerary this way.

I know in my example these apps are on BB10, and that's awesome for me if I go back to BB10 in the future. But what if someone did something similar using different apps? Sure if they moved to BB10 they'd have the ability to do this, but if the apps they had been using all along weren't available they'd lose access to their past information. The trick here is to have access to WORKING VERSIONS of any app anyone could ever need. Make BB10 the ultimate tool for as many as possible by offering seamless integration to the services one is already used to. And don't assume that when someone is talking about needing apps that it's a game or time waster, or that it it's something that can be accessed via the browser.
    sheailewis1 likes this.
    02-09-14 10:23 AM
    This may be true for you and some who don't use or need apps, but for those who do, it's definitely not just a "psychological factor".

All those people who "need apps in a critical way" already left BlackBerry. Those who still hold a BlackBerry device need BlackBerry for things it offers out of the box that others simply don't. But it is true......the App Gap psychology was played like a violin. Now BB10 on 10.2.1 has granted us a plethora of apps, and the OP is correct. The initial euphoria of "Yes Finally", seems to be a let down for him and many others. We were flogged extremely hard for carrying BlackBerry devices by the media, blogs, peers etc. Now the truth has been realized by BlackBerry users how hard BlackBerry and it's customers have been unjustly criticized over the App Gap.

Posted via CB10
    laketrout73 likes this.
    02-09-14 10:26 AM
    All those people who "need apps in a critical way" already left BlackBerry. Those who still hold a BlackBerry device need BlackBerry for things it offers out of the box that others simply don't. But it is true......the App Gap psychology was played like a violin. Now BB10 on 10.2.1 has granted us a plethora of apps, and the OP is correct. The initial euphoria of "Yes Finally", seems to be a let down for him and many others. We were flogged extremely hard for carrying BlackBerry devices by the media, blogs, peers etc. Now the truth has been realized by BlackBerry users how hard BlackBerry and it's customers have been unjustly criticized over the App Gap.

Posted via CB10
    I don't get what you mean by how customers were "unjustly criticized" over the app gap. BlackBerry doesn't have a lot of the apps that people use, plain and simple. That can mean different apps for different people, but a great portion of top apps aren't there.

02-09-14 10:37 AM

I would like to address the bolded part of your post.

For most users, BB10 has always had the right apps to be competitive. Email, browser, social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc). The numbers of users that only use email, a browser and Facebook is overwhelmingly enough to have a solid base of users.

The lack that I see, is new hot apps (users go through the next thing faster than Liz Taylor went through men) and a feeling that it would exist in their respective app store. Plus apps that work with each other. These only seem to come with time.

Personally, I have found an end to all app stores, I just get to the end of BB World sooner.
    02-09-14 10:49 AM
    Right now the only Android apps I have on my Z10 is Netflix and the CIBC banking app. The BlackBerry App for CIBC does everything but deposit a cheque with the picture. That's it. Netflix is nice to have but not essential to the enjoyment of my device.

I've gone through all the apps BlackBerry World doesn't have and I'm left feeling meh...That's the "app gap" everyone is talking about?

What I find funny is those folks on iPhone or Android who complain about battery life have a kit of "cool apps" installed but rarely use them, but they seem to be on in the background.

I'm sure some people can find a use or a need for Yelp...me, not so much therefore I don't feel the "app gap" as much as others seem to be.

With mobile sites improving on many fronts, I simply use my browser before an app.

Instead of downloading tons of news apps, I use my browser. I guess if you need push notifications for everything you would need all those apps.

I'm good so far. BlackBerry for Life.

Posted with my Z10 via CB10
    02-09-14 10:58 AM
    Similar feeling from my side as well. I have the snap application installed but so very rarely I open it. More over I just recently updated and I'm even yet to login to snap.
    The app gap isn't really a kiling problem, to many many people atleast. Only those who have andriod mobiles and also have BlackBerry might be overwhelmed or atleast happy that they got the andriod support.
    One thing I do agree is, I always wanted a map app, here in India bb maps don't work. So I had to port and use andriod for which even I feel good. But the problem is that BlackBerry is not providing map support to many countries which makes us to rely on andriod ports, else I have no need of gmaps also!

Via The Monster Z30
    02-09-14 11:09 AM
214 1234 ...