I remember when we had something called the "app gap". I believed it was HUGE! That there were thousands of amazing apps that I could not use and was sad.
    Then the 10.2.1 update came, and I believed I would fill my phone with apps and games. But now I have just 2 or 3 (which I still don't even use regularly). And I would think very hard of what to download. And I wouldnt come up with anything. I would even go through their top apps and games.
    Even my friends, whom I helped go through the process of updating and installing apk's. After installing instagram and maybe 2 more, they'll be like: "what's next?" or "what else?"

The Underwhelming feeling after being able to Install Apk's-img_20140209_082635.png

This has happened like 4 times. This underwhelming feeling made me sad, because the so called app gap that was not really a gap, could have killed a brilliant hardworking Company. And I feel guilty.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 01:39 AM
    My app gap was one banking app and one diet app, both of which I could use through browser.

I understand exactly where you are coming from.

Z10 until Z30
    anand_ma and heading4tomorrow like this.
    02-09-14 01:44 AM
    Blackberry world is just okay

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 01:45 AM
    Maybe we are not the Appers.i only installed a little bank app too,the other Android apps were lagging in my Z10.

Post via my Z10
    02-09-14 02:46 AM
    OP you are on point with this one! I have actually held off on installing Snap because I can for the life of me think of an app I want from the Google play store hahah

Posted via CB10
    BoldPreza likes this.
    02-09-14 02:56 AM
    I have also been thinking for a while but still have yet to download any Android apps.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 03:19 AM
    Lol people have been trying to say from the beginning, the 'app gap' was a much smaller issue than it was made out to be

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-09-14 03:40 AM
    Shazam? naah sound hound is good enough

Google maps? Actually this might be the one!

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 03:40 AM
    Most folks I know using BB OS10 with the new update have several apps installed, so you folks are not the norm.

I always try and use native apps and have purchased a few to help support the developers, but some of the ones I use like Craigslist, eBay, Golf Channel, Dunkin Donuts, Detroit Red Wings and a couple others are not available in the BB World?

The eBay app that currently exists has not been updated in a while so I use the android one. The Craigslist ones are crude compared to the features in the Android version, so until they can get native ones that look and perform like the competition? I am afraid it's my only option and forget using the browser, it's 2014 and not 2005.

Sent using the CB app
    Last edited by bakron1; 02-09-14 at 04:30 AM.
    look_alive likes this.
    02-09-14 03:50 AM
    I totally agree davinci,
    I think that BlackBerry will do better from now on and we will see the missing apps become available on bbworld as BlackBerry sell more handsets.

Posted on CB10 with the Q10
    02-09-14 04:07 AM
    I don't understand, the browser is the best app, it can access billions of websites after all.

02-09-14 04:10 AM
    I don't understand, the browser is the best app, it can access billions of websites after all.

Lol that's not why it's the best? What browser can't access billions of websites?

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    bbq10l likes this.
    02-09-14 04:21 AM
    Lol that's not why it's the best? What browser can't access billions of websites?

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    The point is that half the time you don't need a dedicated application for various online services because the browser handles the job perfectly. The other half of the time these so called applications are just links to a mobile website anyway.

I'm underwhelmed by the whole Android on BlackBerry thing simply because the applications I've tried either do not work properly or at all. The Android capability is not sufficiently reliable or dependable. It has a feeling of forcing a square peg into a round hole.
    Q10Bold, Nemzy, Mecca EL and 2 others like this.
    02-09-14 04:35 AM
    The point is that half the time you don't need a dedicated application for various online services because the browser handles the job perfectly. The other half of the time these so called applications are just links to a mobile website anyway.

I'm underwhelmed by the whole Android on BlackBerry thing simply because the applications I've tried either do not work properly or at all. The Android capability is not sufficiently reliable or dependable. It has a feeling of forcing a square peg into a round hole.
    Hmm I see your point, but a lot of people appreciated the ability to have snapchat instagram and games that weren't yet available natively (ofcourse for the social apps there are now plenty alternatives) and whilst andorid apps don't work as well as native, of you don't have a round peg available and you're desperate enough, it's nice to have a choice of a square peg that you can force fit

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Nemzy likes this.
    02-09-14 04:44 AM
    @davinci4real O boy I feel you men. Making noise over some useless apps like the world was about to end meanwhile it's nothing. Just reinstalled the android versions of instagram and the Chive app yesterday and deleted them after like two minutes and instead use the native Igrann and ChiveOn app. Deleted all the temple runs, candy crush dem dem.. Nothing beats the native apps. On top of that BlackBerry10 does so much that half these apps are redundant and just taking up space. I installed the halifax bank app, used for a while then deleted and just use my browser cos it's better. Did the same for tumblr cos the app just clogs up your phone with cache downloads and the same applies to a lot of android apps.

Now, I'm not against having the choice of many options but then again I've found that it's a load of bull if it's all about quantity and not quality. I still have the amazon, eBay and paypal apps but I'm really considering deleting them cos the browser is better. Not sure why I need this space taking up on my phone.. feels like I'm just following the masses and that really irks me. In fact, I'm deleting the eBay one now cos it's just a version of the eBay mobile site just like the halifax banking app was. Keeping the amazon and paypal apps though. I think that's a perfect example of how having the choice does help but still, the apps ain't that great. Only reason I'm keeping the amazon app is cos when I save the browser version to home screen it shows the page I'm on as the icon instead of the amazon icon. Same applies to the PayPal app. Don't get me wrong though, there are many cases where the mobile site is not as good as the app such as the PayPal app, youtube, BBC Iplayer, filmOn etc so I'm not gonna pretend to say BlackBerry does not need them. It does. Period. However, it's not half as bad as the media and those on other platforms made us think it was.

I won't mind if there are native options but to be fair, the so called app gap is waaaay smaller than most of the band wagon riders would have you believe. If some random guy popped up tomorrow and claims he was Jesus I bet you he would have tons of believers in no time. I really feel guilty for almost believing the app gap was what the android and iPhone warriors would have us believe. Cant even remember the last time I played a game on my phone and I currently have only one.. Batman. I installed loads of them including minion rush, real racing, spiderman, iron Man, all the angry birds and loads others. All quality apps but I'm not much of a gamer. I agree for the heavy gamers it's great and kudos to BlackBerry for getting them on the platform.

Posted via CB10 on my Z mfk'n 10!
    Last edited by BlackB_G; 02-09-14 at 05:26 AM.
    02-09-14 04:46 AM
    I was missing 2 banking apps, one payment app and an app to display the program of my favourite TV stations. None of these apps I could find as native versions in BB world, so I'm very happy to have them as Android apps now.
    And, having access to these apps is important from a psychological & marketing perspective.
    Hm. Did I say marketing? Oh well...
    peregrineay and Mecca EL like this.
    02-09-14 05:04 AM
    @tinochiko

So tell what app is better than the browser? What single app can you replace the browser with?

Oh, sorry, I forgot to lol.

02-09-14 05:19 AM
    The few Android apps I installed I got rid of because the permissions the apps requested where ridiculous. At least with BlackBerry you can select or decline certain requests an app might request, but with Android it is all or nothing, so I deleted them off my Z10 almost straight away. I would think very hard now if there was ever an Android app that I might want on my phone now.

Z10 In action here!
    02-09-14 05:27 AM
    @tinochiko

So tell what app is better than the browser? What single app can you replace the browser with?

It's not about being better than the browser :s, some apps fit better as an app than a browser, e.g. with banking on Barclays, you have to have a pin sentry to login online, but with an app you just set up a pin code and you're done, also many apps don't have a browser alternative e.g. vine (and yes there are vine viewers) but some people just prefer the experience of an app, a native app incorporate the functions of the OS, it's like you wouldn't play games usually from a mobile browser would you?

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-09-14 05:28 AM
    I was just wondering what I would do after getting 10.2.1 ...

I heard Android Dropbox will come with Automatic Camera Upload

App gap also has to do with how up-to-date you are - if developers are giving iOS and Android users the latest versions of apps before they give BlackBerry a second thought, then this also makes up some of the "app gap" or perhaps more accurately, "ecosystem gap"

Case in point: Dropbox integration on BlackBerry is great, and in some ways like file manager integration, even better than on iOS or Android, but we are missing one big functionality - automatic camera upload !

It's very interesting how BlackBerry hasn't YET advertised Android apps being available on BB10 - I wonder what they are waiting for? It is a balance between keeping BlackBerry developers happy and getting new customers but isn't the cat out of the bag by now ???
    02-09-14 05:49 AM
    Well I haven't gone the way of loading APKs etc. I like to get my BlackBerry apps from BlackBerry World.

So....I wanted Instagram and waited for iGrann when it came to BBW. I'm now waiting for banking apps as well as my Geico app and I'm using the browser until they do come. I would rather do that than to load APKs or 1mobile. I bought a BlackBerry to be a BlackBerry, not a BlackBerry/Android hybrid. I've already got an Android device. If I hadn't had an Android device I still would have waited, as I'm doing, for those apps to be available in BBW.

I'm in a very small minority here, and I understand that.
    02-09-14 05:51 AM
    Totally agree.

But I'm definitely not an app type of person.

I could easily do without.

I have to say 10.2.1 is an awesome update because it re confirmed to me that in not missing out on much.

BlackBerry world is she and secure and has most of the apps I need.

I do find local apps can be a bit worrisome eg I had to go grab my banking app from play.

But I've since though long and hard and found some decent camera apps too. Having said that, the native editor is still just as good.

So I'm glad we have the option. I recently tried an android app that made its way natively to BlackBerry that I bought.

Hands down the native app played better and looked better and was cheaper lol.

The android version though has a free one but that doesn't affect the ui or speed.

I like options but I like that everything I need is already built into BlackBerry 10
    world saviour likes this.
    02-09-14 05:53 AM
    @tinochiko

The Bank of America app on my iPhone, as one example, has features that are not available on the website, such as setting alerts for debits and transactions past a certain amount of money. I find that useful. That is one instance of the app having more features than the website.
    02-09-14 05:54 AM
    +1 OP!
    I wound up pretty much with one banking app. I have put a couple others on I guess because I could, but never used them and mostly wound up removing them. On occasion I would open up Snap to look through because there "must" be something I need in there - only to close it again, having come away uninspired.
    I WOULD be installing Instagram to keep up with a couple of people, but then Igrann came along.
    For me, the "app gap" boiled down to my bank.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL, AYC2112 and 5848pug like this.
    02-09-14 05:59 AM
    Op, it just show how media generated perception can influence the masses. Sad reality we are all living with and paid for our life, energy, and money.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 06:10 AM
214 123 ...