What browser is as good as the BB10 browser? I'm surprised that I choose it over Chrome on my MacBook when I'm at home. I find myself using the browser instead of the app a lot, including on Crackberry. The app doesn't cut it for me.
    I wasn't saying it's not the best, I was just saying the reason it's the best is not really about the range of websites it can access and more about how it accesses them

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-10-14 01:08 AM
    It's always been the case with wonderful products and great companies they will stand the churn of the market and are sure to bounce back because of their strong DNAs of creating classic products and solutions.......

Defeat is not when u fall down but when not ready to get up!!!

Aziz ..... Z30
    02-10-14 01:24 AM
    I can't believe people still use cheques in your part of the world.

I guess, if cheques are still used a lot then a banking app that accommodates that would be useful.

Here in the UK, I rarely see cheques or even hear of them.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 01:39 AM

I guess, if cheques are still used a lot then a banking app that accommodates that would be useful.

Posted via CB10
    Yep we still use. While most people get paid through direct deposit, we still receive checks/money orders/etc for various payments like rent/monthly fees/etc..
    Checks are still very common in USA, especially in business. Maybe it's common in EU/UK for people to bounce checks that's why you guys stopped using it? I know in Italy, Turkey and Greece it was a big headache, interestingly bouncing check is not a crime in USA while it can result in imprisonment in some countries in Europe..
    02-10-14 01:43 AM
    Yep we still use. While most people get paid through direct deposit, we still receive checks/money orders/etc for various payments like rent/monthly fees/etc..
    Checks are still very common in USA, especially in business. Maybe it's common in EU/UK for people to bounce checks that's why you guys stopped using it? I know in Italy, Turkey and Greece it was a big headache, interestingly bouncing check is not a crime in USA while it can result in imprisonment in some countries in Europe..
    Erm no I'm in UK and cheques are still used, government recently announced plans to allow banks to let customers scan cheques to reduce waiting time, a little behind the times as usual..

It's no more common for cheques to bounce here than anywere else as far as I know..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-10-14 01:48 AM
    It seems to me that if you're a user that doesn't really use social-oriented apps, then the browser and most bbw apps will be fine. However if you happen to use or want to use social-oriented apps, 10.2.1 has been really great. Most of them either do not even have a website to use or are far, far superior to their respective website. Let me give a few examples that I personally use all the time:

- Tinder. No website or bbw version available.
    - Fully featured IG. Igrann is great and I'm really happy that the dev made this app, but it still lacks video upload and ig direct and will always be behind in features. Great alternative though.
    - Yelp. Website doesn't recognize the bb10 browser as mobile and the desktop site is a chore to use on a phone. Not in bbw (and there are no plans for it to be).
    - clash of clans. No alternative.
    - Venmo. The app is much easier to use than the website. Not in bbw.

Again, obviously not everyone will know of or want to use these types of apps, but for those that do, it is nice to be able to download and more importantly update them ota instead of having to sideload.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 02:00 AM
    I remember when we had something called the "app gap". I believed it was HUGE! That there were thousands of amazing apps that I could not use and was sad.
    Then the 10.2.1 update came, and I believed I would fill my phone with apps and games. But now I have just 2 or 3 (which I still don't even use regularly). And I would think very hard of what to download. And I wouldnt come up with anything. I would even go through their top apps and games.
    Even my friends, whom I helped go through the process of updating and installing apk's. After installing instagram and maybe 2 more, they'll be like: "what's next?" or "what else?"

Attachment 246271

This has happened like 4 times. This underwhelming feeling made me sad, because the so called app gap that was not really a gap, could have killed a brilliant hardworking Company. And I feel guilty.

Posted via CB10
    This is something I always debated in the different posts about the famous "app gap." I am not a participant in the many social media frenzie (I don't care about Instagram, Facebook, etc.) and the few apps I needed (Google Voice and one from my bank) I side loaded and that was it. It is still the case for me. I always laughed at the "it's all about APPs, APPs, APPs posts and, at times, it was frustrating to see people jump on the band wagon attacking BlackBerry and anyone who dared saying there was no app gap.
    allwi likes this.
    02-10-14 02:52 AM

Posted via CB10
    Still used all over the world.

When a tree cutting service can come to my house to prune my trees and I give him a check and he deposits right in front of me on his iPad, it rankles that I don't have that option natively on my BUSINESS ORIENTED device, when iPads and iPhones are supposedly toys and my BlackBerry is supposedly a business device for uber connected business people.

THAT is a problem.

When I am able to conduct business (insurance, banking, stock) on my phone though the use of native apps, THEN there won't be an app gap.

There IS an app gap. It is not marketing or a phsychological thing and there is no conspiracy. I can't conduct business on my BlackBerry with made for BlackBerry apps but I can conduct them on my iPhone? THAT is an app gap. Anything else is a band aid.
    02-10-14 03:39 AM
    Why do some people consider banking apps to be the most wanted? Really? More than Netflix, Skype or Instagram?

Posted via the Diva's BlackBerry Z10.
    Because they have money and afraid of losing it.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 05:32 AM
    It's funny to read the first post because I can relate. I have been an Android user myself with the HTC One being my personal phone. I recently wanted to try something different so swapped my work iPhone out for a Z10. I was quite sceptical of hearing it, but all I can say is damn the keyboard is good. I always thought the iPhone keyboard was the best out there, but boy has my opinion changed.

Anyways, after realising I could sideload Android apps... and then natively install them after installing the leaked OS, I was wanting to install whatever I could onto my Z10. Funnily enough, I only installed Instagram and Dolphin Browser as I like tabbed browsing. I actually wanted Chrome as I like the sync features, but you can't win em all.

After that, I realised there isn't really anything else I absolutely need. I even looked at my main phone to see if I wanted to install anything from there onto the Z10 but didn't really find a need to. The Z10 does everything I need it to do and does it efficiently.
    jrohland and Elite1 like this.
    02-10-14 06:46 AM
    The "app gap" isssue was completely ridiculous from the start.

For 99 percent users the app gap consisted of instagram and that's it. For the rest it was a legit gap of apps that we actually needed.

Crackberry writers didn't help the situation in my opinion. They promoted side loading apps to fix a perceived problem in lack of said app.

Given that this OS is a year old, there's much room to grow and I'd rather use a built for BlackBerry app.

Extremely unhappy with T-Mobile not releasing 10.2 yet...
    02-10-14 06:58 AM
    The app gap is still there! Non-native apps don't provide the user experience that we BB10 users would be appreciated for. Side-loading Android apps can't be compared to native BB10 apps because BB10 apps provide much better user experience IMO. I have Viber, Spotify and some banking apps installed and I can say that those apps are nowhere near the quality of native BB10 apps or even some non certified ones like Whatsapp. Its not fair to say that the app gap is gone.
    02-10-14 07:01 AM
    I had a lot of fun installing these APKs and admiring the launch screen.
    As of date, on the 15-20 apps I installed well ... none of them are on my screen anymore.
    Exactly as OP described; "I thought I may need/enjoy/adopt them ... err ... NO".
    02-10-14 08:27 AM
    So, I think it's clear that a lot of folks would use BB10 only, runtime or not.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-10-14 08:57 AM
    99%? NOPE.
    The "app gap" isssue was completely ridiculous from the start.

For 99 percent users the app gap consisted of instagram and that's it. For the rest it was a legit gap of apps that we actually needed.

Crackberry writers didn't help the situation in my opinion. They promoted side loading apps to fix a perceived problem in lack of said app.

Given that this OS is a year old, there's much room to grow and I'd rather use a built for BlackBerry app.

Extremely unhappy with T-Mobile not releasing 10.2 yet...
    02-10-14 09:10 AM
    I am not an app guy, and most of my coworkers neither, I think I have 20 apps installed in my S4 and I only use like 4 of them, the problem is not how many apps you use, the problem is that if you are used to one app then you are going to miss it if it is not on BB, I think BB should make a leverage in native enteprise apps (the ones that make bussiness people more productive), and let the social, games and others be ran by the Android runtime.
    02-10-14 09:27 AM
    Actually, I do not want to do my banking on my phone.

I don't take pictures of random things or use filters. What ridiculous questions.

Posted via the Diva's BlackBerry Z10.
    Denise, I feel sorry for you. The problem is obvious - you cannot make your own decisions as to what works for you.
    02-10-14 09:57 AM
    I had a lot of fun installing these APKs and admiring the launch screen.
    As of date, on the 15-20 apps I installed well ... none of them are on my screen anymore.
    Exactly as OP described; "I thought I may need/enjoy/adopt them ... err ... NO".
    Superfly - you can't delete them!!! Rules are rules - once downloaded you must spend at least 10 minutes per downloaded app per day or your phone will self-destruct.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-10-14 10:04 AM
    The day the new update arrived I, like probably many, frantically downloaded a bunch of Android apps.

It was fun for a day.

Since then? I've not touched a single one.

It really is interesting how the "app gap" was considered by even us BlackBerry fans to be a HUGE issue, and when it comes down to it, many of us don't even take advantage of the new "solution".

I hope BlackBerry can take heart from this and push on.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 10:17 AM
    Another thing is I hate the layout and UI of non BB10 apps.

BB10 apps are beautiful and smooth, with the dark theme and overlays etc.

Posted via CB10
    crucial bbq likes this.
    02-10-14 10:19 AM
    Maybe we are not the Appers.i only installed a little bank app too,the other Android apps were lagging in my Z10.

Post via my Z10
    When you look at the list of missing apps that users so desperately want, they are all Instagram, Vine, Netflix, Candy Crush, Fruit Ninja, and so on. Primarily apps that kids want. The only app that is missing for me is the Navy Federal Credit Union app...but I got that on my iPad. I did install the apk on my Z10...and only ended up using it once or twice.

It has been proven time and time again that the desire to have "choice" is largely an illusion as human beings have a tendency to only use the same one or two items over and over again. A Pew research not too long ago revealed that the average smartphone user only has something like ten apps installed, and, out of that number only use perhaps three on a regular basis.

I have had Netflix installed on every Android handset and iPad I have owned...never used that app once. I don't even watch Netflix on my laptop...
    02-10-14 10:42 AM
    Same here. Just added Spotify, Google Maps and my local bank app. Of course, the Q10 screen imposes some restrictions, but everything works just fine for me.
    However, I might be a niche user. I have no use for Flappy Birds, Angry Birds (or every other kind of birds) and most of the other apps that populate the Apple Appstore/Google Play Store.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 10:43 AM
    I am not an app guy, and most of my coworkers neither, I think I have 20 apps installed in my S4 and I only use like 4 of them, the problem is not how many apps you use, the problem is that if you are used to one app then you are going to miss it if it is not on BB, I think BB should make a leverage in native enteprise apps (the ones that make bussiness people more productive), and let the social, games and others be ran by the Android runtime.
    There is no doubt that there are literally tons of Android apps available. However, if you search through any particular niche, such as a note taking app, you will find hundreds, if not thousands, of apps that are copy-cats of each other or simply just pure junk. I read an article a while ago that stated something like If you were to remove all of the junk apps from Google Play, the total number of remaining apps would be significantly less than half of what is currently available. At least Apple makes an effort for quality.
    02-10-14 10:49 AM
    Same here. Just added Spotify, Google Maps and my local bank app. Of course, the Q10 screen imposes some restrictions, but everything works just fine for me.
    However, I might be a niche user. I have no use for Flappy Birds, Angry Birds (or every other kind of birds) and most of the other apps that populate the Apple Appstore/Google Play Store.
    How about Italian birds?
    The Underwhelming feeling after being able to Install Apk's-4403432_std.jpg

Kidding aside, I agree, but instead of Spotify just use Grooveshark, the website works just fine and you can queue songs as well.
    I also miss the shopping apps, the cases where websites just don't work as well, like Costco, Amazon, Groupon, Woot. For example Amazon's sideloaded version does not work anymore and the APK seems to be slower than usual on 10.2.1.

For google maps I just decided to use web browser for now, sure it is not as convenient as it's own app (no tap and slide zoom) but it works well.
    02-10-14 10:51 AM
    All those people who "need apps in a critical way" already left BlackBerry. Those who still hold a BlackBerry device need BlackBerry for things it offers out of the box that others simply don't. But it is true......the App Gap psychology was played like a violin. Now BB10 on 10.2.1 has granted us a plethora of apps, and the OP is correct. The initial euphoria of "Yes Finally", seems to be a let down for him and many others. We were flogged extremely hard for carrying BlackBerry devices by the media, blogs, peers etc. Now the truth has been realized by BlackBerry users how hard BlackBerry and it's customers have been unjustly criticized over the App Gap.

Posted via CB10
    So... BlackBerry should not try to get those people back to BlackBerry ecosystem, instead, they should just make decisions to please the existing user base? Or to be more specific, the part of existing user base that agrees with you?

Lol

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.1925+1926 radio
    Elite1 likes this.
    02-10-14 11:17 AM
214 ... 56789