All BBRY needed/needs is a few more million people who don't believe any app gap exists.
    bbq10l, ajst222, JeepBB and 3 others like this.
    02-09-14 12:32 PM
    And you do realize that the BB10 android runtime is sandboxed so it has no access to the OS....

Posted via CB10
    Your point...

Photo a Day: C002B5A07, my amateur photography Channel
    02-09-14 12:34 PM
    All BBRY needed/needs is a few more million people who don't believe any app gap exists.
    Hahaha well said!

02-09-14 12:36 PM
    I don't understand the automatic upload. It's easy enough to take a picture and one touch send it to DropBox. Are you saying, take a picture and it stores in Dropbox without confirming? What if youre not in a wifi area and your taking alot of pictures??
    I know this feature is not available on dropbox but it is available on Box. Box is available native on BlackBerry 10

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 12:36 PM
    Your point...

You stated without BES, basically BlackBerry is no better.....well its not susceptible to malware and viruses like android devices are.....so that is one point that undermines your comment. I have more but.....

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 12:37 PM
    I remember a poster or two actually stating that because of the runtime, BB10 now has MORE apps than Android and is second only to Apple.

This person was serious, too.
    bbq10l and mikeo007 like this.
    02-09-14 12:38 PM
    And you do realize that the BB10 android runtime is sandboxed so it has no access to the OS....
    Erm...

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...sables-901849/

02-09-14 12:40 PM
    I remember a poster or two actually stating that because of the runtime, BB10 now has MORE apps than Android and is second only to Apple.

This person was serious, too.
    Well add BlackBerry World and the Android apps.....the number could be true. Honestly, does it matter anymore. 1,000, 000 or 950, 000. The app gap is gone.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 12:41 PM
    Well add BlackBerry World and the Android apps.....the number could be true. Honestly, does it matter anymore. 1,000, 000 or 950, 000. The app gap is gone.

Posted via CB10
    So there you go. BBRY has indeed conquered the app gap..
    JeepBB, mikeo007 and MERCDROID like this.
    02-09-14 12:43 PM
    Man can anyone read anymore? I said OS......never mentioned anything about pictures, address books.....and this is on BES, and the argument made by the other guy was you needed BES or the BlackBerry device was no more secure than other devices. Also this issue is being addressed so it's a non issue to the conversation.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 12:45 PM
    Hurrah!!!

BB wins again!
    Tre Lawrence and MERCDROID like this.
    02-09-14 12:46 PM
    BB10 is one iOS emulator away from frog-jumping the competition. If we could get a legacy PalmOS runtime, it will be game over.
    JeepBB likes this.
    You stated without BES, basically BlackBerry is no better.....well its not susceptible to malware and viruses like android devices are.....so that is one point that undermines your comment. I have more but.....

Posted via CB10
    You're talking only about Android apps and suddenly BlackBerry is more secure? Even so they have access to all your device and personal information :O

knighty2112,

Thanks for your comment about the Android permissions being all or nothing.

Sideloaded Snap so that I can get Android apps.

The only one that I really needed was a banking (check deposit) available as an Android app. The browser would let me check account balances, but I couldn't deposit checks!

A major reason I use BlackBerry is the security...and when an app want's access to everything (whether they need it or not) then I don't need that app.

Still keeping my Bold 9900 as my main device...and just following what the Q10 can do (now have 10.2.1 on it) for two reasons:
    • trackpad (and related keys) left off Q10
    • BB OS10 doesn't have Categories for contacts�and I have 5900 contacts on my 9900...need Categories

Thanks to all for the comments.

Kind regards,
    George_B
    knighty2112 likes this.
    02-09-14 12:48 PM
    Quantity vs quality

As many people have stated, native apps are much better than android ports, look at the reviews of android ports in bb world and the fact that it's a port is an issue for a lot of people

Direct apk install is still not compatible with the generic user, until they get play store ota or equivalent (that doesn't require getting a cable to instal) it's a step in the right direction though.. but even so andorid apps will never be the full answer to the 'app gap', the 'app gap' in the generic sense (a lot of people demanding an app that's not available on BB10) when these apps come natively, andorid apk is a short term solution..and it's not perfect,

Yes it's more about just having the choice than you need loads of apps etc, but just knowing that when something new comes you won't be left out of a native experience

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    bbq10l likes this.
    02-09-14 12:49 PM
    You're talking only about Android apps and suddenly BlackBerry is more secure? Even so they have access to all your device and personal information :O

Just one item....oh....DOD erases all doubt on security. Your reaching really deep if you want to go on about security......

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 12:49 PM
    Just one item....oh....DOD erases all doubt on security. Your reaching really deep if you want to go on about security......
    Do the US DoD use BB10 handsets?

I thought they were all still on legacy BB handsets?

BB7 FTW!
    02-09-14 12:54 PM
    Quantity vs quality

As many people have stated, native apps are much better than android ports, look at the reviews of android ports in bb world and the fact that it's a port is an issue for a lot of people

Direct apk install is still not compatible with the generic user, until they get play store ota or equivalent (that doesn't require getting a cable to instal) it's a step in the right direction though.. but even so andorid apps will never be the full answer to the 'app gap', the 'app gap' in the generic sense (a lot of people demanding an app that's not available on BB10) when these apps come natively, andorid apk is a short term solution..and it's not perfect,

Yes it's more about just having the choice than you need loads of apps etc, but just knowing that when something new comes you won't be left out of a native experience

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Good points.

It will always be a choice of quality... for me, at least. I review apps for a living, and at the end of the day, my "anchor" apps (the apps I prefer having on a daily driver) can be counted on one hand. Seriously.
    02-09-14 12:56 PM
    I just learn how to side load snap and apps on my Z10. Well the word learn is more an exaggeration. I just follow certain instruction. Yay!! I got Snap. I got Porsche clock back. I went through the tons of apps available. Oh My!! Netflix, Shazam, Temple Run2 .....nah.. not interested. Deleted Instagram...was excited that I can do it .....that's all....what app gap?!! Bring on Ontario!!!
    02-09-14 01:03 PM
    I just learn how to side load snap and apps on my Z10. Well the word learn is more an exaggeration. I just follow certain instruction. Yay!! I got Snap. I got Porsche clock back. I went through the tons of apps available. Oh My!! Netflix, Shazam, Temple Run2 .....nah.. not interested. Deleted Instagram...was excited that I can do it .....that's all....what app gap?!! Bring on Ontario!!!
    You got Porsche clock back through snap?

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-09-14 01:12 PM
    Do the US DoD use BB10 handsets?

I thought they were all still on legacy BB handsets?

BB7 FTW!
    They connected 80 000 current BlackBerry handsets, yet not sure of their OS. However, another article was published recently stating in the near future that the DOD will be purchasing in excess over 500,000 BlackBerry devices, which if I recall correctly are BB10.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 01:30 PM
    They connected 80 000 current BlackBerry handsets, yet not sure of their OS. However, another article was published recently stating in the near future that the DOD will be purchasing in excess over 500,000 BlackBerry devices, which if I recall correctly are BB10.
    Didn't we do this already?

*All* of the 80k devices being connected to the new infrastructure are legacy devices AFAIK. There's no new BB10 devices in that mix that I've seen reported, just the 80k legacy devices they already have. DoD even issued a statement that they haven't bought any sizeable quantity of BB handsets recently and had no plans to do so. Unless of course you know different?

As to the imminent 500k BB10 purchase... That's just a quote from a Seeking Alpha article - just an opinion piece in other words. Can you provide a DoD statement that states that they're buying new BB phones at *all* - never mind BB10 phones.
    bbq10l, propeller10 and mikeo007 like this.
    02-09-14 02:00 PM
    You got Porsche clock back through snap?

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Nope I downloaded the clock bar and just use Chrome to side load.
    02-09-14 02:06 PM
    The apps gap is alive and well. Many who have posted on this thread mention the one app that they use. That one app is enough reason not to buy a BlackBerry.

The fact that a large number of you were willing to sideload for trivial things like Netflix suggests that the population here does not reflect the average user.

I pay for Google Play all access Music service. Not available on BlackBerry. I did not buy in because it was from Google. I bought in because it was the only service that allowed me to upload 150 GB of music onto their servers. I use this service daily. If it's not available no deal.

I bank with USAA and Georgia United Federal Credit Union and have apps for both. The experience.of using these applications is far superior to a web page. For USAA I prefer the app over accessing my account on a pc.

I don't think the issue is overblown. Smartphones in general all do the same things. You can buy a device running any one of the major OS's and expect feature parity. Any platform offering less features, less compatibility/ interoperability is at a serious disadvantage. There is no need to make excuses.
    I think those are all personal preferences and only deal breakers to you. So every car out there , well basically every everything all had to be exactly the same will all the same features or it is no good, and no one will buy it. Yep makes sense to me!
    02-09-14 02:11 PM
    Didn't we do this already?

*All* of the 80k devices being connected to the new infrastructure are legacy devices AFAIK. There's no new BB10 devices in that mix that I've seen reported, just the 80k legacy devices they already have. DoD even issued a statement that they haven't bought any sizeable quantity of BB handsets recently and had no plans to do so. Unless of course you know different?

As to the imminent 500k BB10 purchase... That's just a quote from a Seeking Alpha article - just an opinion piece in other words. Can you provide a DoD statement that states that they're buying new BB phones at *all* - never mind BB10 phones.
    Only can state there was an article written.....now if Seeking Alpha wrote a positive article on BlackBerry then that is a new one. Guess the only thing I can say is "where there is smoke, there is usually fire".

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 02:14 PM
214 ... 23456 ...