Well I haven't gone the way of loading APKs etc. I like to get my BlackBerry apps from BlackBerry World.

So....I wanted Instagram and waited for iGrann when it came to BBW. I'm now waiting for banking apps as well as my Geico app and I'm using the browser until they do come. I would rather do that than to load APKs or 1mobile. I bought a BlackBerry to be a BlackBerry, not a BlackBerry/Android hybrid. I've already got an Android device. If I hadn't had an Android device I still would have waited, as I'm doing, for those apps to be available in BBW.

I'm in a very small minority here, and I understand that.
    I too was going to take this approach until my little ones practically begged me to play Minecraft with them and I just couldn't stand playing it on my Galaxy S any longer. So now, I have 1.

I look at this differently, I don't consider these Android apps, I consider these apps written to run on the Android platform that can be re-formatted to run on my BlackBerry. Just like how I used my pliers this morning to remove a nail. Sure the hammer would have been better, and it is designed with that task in mind, but the pliers was right there. Not better, not worse, just different.
    02-09-14 11:11 AM
    I don't get what you mean by how customers were "unjustly criticized" over the app gap. BlackBerry doesn't have a lot of the apps that people use, plain and simple. That can mean different apps for different people, but a great portion of top apps aren't there.

Photo a Day: C002B5A07, my amateur photography Channel
    Well if you don't get "unjustly criticize". Well wander over to any other site, join a discussion, state anything positive about BlackBerry and prepare to be shredded. As soon as you bring up a valid point of why you use BlackBerry, eg features they may not have, like the HUB, HDMI out, NFC, DNLA, true multitasking, etc, they will completely ignore those facts and shred you on the app gap like piranhas on an old cow. Now the OP here made a statement that I concur with.....I know the feeling.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 11:18 AM
    I would like to address the bolded part of your post.

For most users, BB10 has always had the right apps to be competitive. Email, browser, social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc). The numbers of users that only use email, a browser and Facebook is overwhelmingly enough to have a solid base of users.

The lack that I see, is new hot apps (users go through the next thing faster than Liz Taylor went through men) and a feeling that it would exist in their respective app store. Plus apps that work with each other. These only seem to come with time.

Personally, I have found an end to all app stores, I just get to the end of BB World sooner.
    Poor Liz Taylor.....i had to laugh!

Posted via CB10
    red72 likes this.
    02-09-14 11:19 AM
    Well if you don't get "unjustly criticize". Well wander over to any other site, join a discussion, state anything positive about BlackBerry and prepare to be shredded. As soon as you bring up a valid point of why you use BlackBerry, eg features they may not have, like the HUB, HDMI out, NFC, DNLA, true multitasking, etc, they will completely ignore those facts and shred you on the app gap like piranhas on an old cow. Now the OP here made a statement that I concur with.....I know the feeling.

Posted via CB10
    The app gap is a completely valid point though. That's why I don't get how it's unjust criticism.

JeepBB likes this.
    02-09-14 11:27 AM
    I was just wondering what I would do after getting 10.2.1 ...

I heard Android Dropbox will come with Automatic Camera Upload

App gap also has to do with how up-to-date you are - if developers are giving iOS and Android users the latest versions of apps before they give BlackBerry a second thought, then this also makes up some of the "app gap" or perhaps more accurately, "ecosystem gap"

Case in point: Dropbox integration on BlackBerry is great, and in some ways like file manager integration, even better than on iOS or Android, but we are missing one big functionality - automatic camera upload !

It's very interesting how BlackBerry hasn't YET advertised Android apps being available on BB10 - I wonder what they are waiting for? It is a balance between keeping BlackBerry developers happy and getting new customers but isn't the cat out of the bag by now ???
    I don't understand the automatic upload. It's easy enough to take a picture and one touch send it to DropBox. Are you saying, take a picture and it stores in Dropbox without confirming? What if youre not in a wifi area and your taking alot of pictures??
    02-09-14 11:35 AM
    Once again the point is being missed. The reason for having access to thousands of Android apps is not to install thousands, or hundreds, of apps on your BlackBerry. It's too install the one or two apps without which you'd choose a different platform. That's why it makes sense to have this capability.

Do you have an Audible account? You'll need an app to use it. That's just one example, but for a lot of people is not negotiable, and why should it be?

What's really underwhelming is to have an expensive smartphone that can't do what other smartphones do.

Sent via Tapatalk
    So, true, I wish I had a phone with a bunch of security issues, slow browsers, bloated software, poor notifications, old hardware, an ugly home button... etc.
    02-09-14 11:39 AM
    I don't understand the automatic upload. It's easy enough to take a picture and one touch send it to DropBox. Are you saying, take a picture and it stores in Dropbox without confirming? What if youre not in a wifi area and your taking alot of pictures??
    "If it's not on BlackBerry we don't need it" Honestly, cmon. It's a fantastic feature. I used it with SkyDrive with my Windows Phone and it was great. And at least on SkyDrive, you could set it to upload only on wifi.

How about things like Protect that automatically backup your data? Isn't it easy enough to plug your phone into your computer and do it manually?

JeepBB likes this.
    02-09-14 11:42 AM
    The app gap is a completely valid point though. That's why I don't get how it's unjust criticism.

I think that's on a per person basis honestly.
    02-09-14 11:43 AM
    So, true, I wish I had a phone with a bunch of security issues, slow browsers, bloated software, poor notifications, old hardware, an ugly home button... etc.
    Notifications and the home button are personal preference. Not entirely sure what you mean by bloated software, and the whole security thing is kind of blown out of proportion. And the epitome of old hardware is the Z30 so I don't get why you're bringing that into the picture.

02-09-14 11:44 AM
    "If it's not on BlackBerry we don't need it" Honestly, cmon. It's a fantastic feature. I used it with SkyDrive with my Windows Phone and it was great. And at least on SkyDrive, you could set it to upload only on wifi.

How about things like Protect that automatically backup your data? Isn't it easy enough to plug your phone into your computer and do it manually?

Well thats what I was asking,, I didn't know how it worked. Simmer down
    02-09-14 11:45 AM
    I think that's on a per person basis honestly.
    Right, it varies per person, but it's still quite obvious that BlackBerry World is lacking whether you use the apps or not.

JeepBB likes this.
    02-09-14 11:45 AM
    The apps gap is alive and well. Many who have posted on this thread mention the one app that they use. That one app is enough reason not to buy a BlackBerry.

The fact that a large number of you were willing to sideload for trivial things like Netflix suggests that the population here does not reflect the average user.

I pay for Google Play all access Music service. Not available on BlackBerry. I did not buy in because it was from Google. I bought in because it was the only service that allowed me to upload 150 GB of music onto their servers. I use this service daily. If it's not available no deal.

I bank with USAA and Georgia United Federal Credit Union and have apps for both. The experience.of using these applications is far superior to a web page. For USAA I prefer the app over accessing my account on a pc.

I don't think the issue is overblown. Smartphones in general all do the same things. You can buy a device running any one of the major OS's and expect feature parity. Any platform offering less features, less compatibility/ interoperability is at a serious disadvantage. There is no need to make excuses.
    ajst222, bbq10l, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    02-09-14 11:46 AM
    Well thats what I was asking,, I didn't know how it worked. Simmer down
    It just seemed kind of ignorant that you were dissing a very useful feature and saying that it wasn't a big deal that BB10 lacked it.

Notifications and the home button are personal preference. Not entirely sure what you mean by bloated software, and the whole security thing is kind of blown out of proportion. And the epitome of old hardware is the Z30 so I don't get why you're bringing that into the picture.

In your eyes the security thing is blown out of proportion, in my eyes the app gap is blown out of proportion... see how that works, person preference.
    It just seemed kind of ignorant that you were dissing a very useful feature and saying that it wasn't a big deal that BB10 lacked it.

I wasn't dissing, I was asking HOW IT WORKED. nothing more, nothing less.
    I use Dropbox everyday, I don't have any issues with it, just asking about these other features.
    02-09-14 11:47 AM

You married? Don't have to answer that....but I am sure you heard, that if you want your relationship to last, and you do have a disagreement, STAY ON TOPIC! Now if you don't understand when I say "unjust".......you never will.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 11:47 AM
    You married? Don't have to answer that....but I am sure you heard, that if you want your relationship to last, and you do have a disagreement, STAY ON TOPIC! Now if you don't understand when I say "unjust".......you never will.

Posted via CB10
    I'm saying it doesn't make sense.

02-09-14 11:50 AM
    In your eyes the security thing is blown out of proportion, in my eyes the app gap is blown out of proportion... see how that works, person preference.
    I don't believe that's a personal preference. Unless you're on something like BES, you're phone is just as secure/unsecure as anything else. But with apps, it varies across the board, and looking at numbers and quality isn't personal preference.

JeepBB likes this.
    02-09-14 11:51 AM
    I don't believe that's a personal preference. Unless you're on something like BES, you're phone is just as secure/unsecure as anything else. But with apps, it varies across the board, and looking at numbers and quality isn't personal preference.

How can you tell me what my personal preference is?? "My personal preference about apps is that I dont care about them " <<<< that's my personal statement. You cannot argue with that. Period....
    I don't get how having a home button is a personal preference, when you don't have a choice to have it if you use and iPhone, but if I use or not use apps, that's not a personal preference.?.?
    red72 likes this.
    02-09-14 11:55 AM
    How can you tell me what my personal preference is?? "My personal preference about apps is that I dont care about them " <<<< that's my personal statement. You cannot argue with that. Period....
    I'm talking about numbers, not if you use them or not...as is it's not a personal preference to say BlackBerry World has a better selection/more apps than the App Store.

JeepBB likes this.
    02-09-14 11:57 AM

And you do realize that the BB10 android runtime is sandboxed so it has no access to the OS....

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 11:57 AM
    I have downloaded only 5 apps from snap. None of which I have used after opening it once. Banking app was useless and I much preferred using the browser. I downloaded Google earth because I could, but I have no use for it. I downloaded Google maps, but haven't used it because I haven't had a need to yet. Then there was a torrent app which I just tested to see if it's working. I haven't torrented anything in years and I don't need to thanks to Stereotube. Then I came across an app that flashes different colours on your screen so that when I hook up my phone to the projector, I could turn my house into a nightclub lol.

I don't have a real NEED for any of these apps. And I can see myself deleting them later. Probably because of the way I use my phone. So I understand the OP's concern. And I also share his feelings about this issue too. For me, android apps on my BlackBerry is merely, meh.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 11:58 AM
    I'm talking about numbers, not if you use them or not...as is it's not a personal preference to say BlackBerry World has a better selection/more apps than the App Store.

Okay, I've never said BB World had better or more apps in it, but what they have, works for me.
    02-09-14 11:59 AM
    The apps gap is alive and well. Many who have posted on this thread mention the one app that they use. That one app is enough reason not to buy a BlackBerry.

The fact that a large number of you were willing to sideload for trivial things like Netflix suggests that the population here does not reflect the average user.

I pay for Google Play all access Music service. Not available on BlackBerry. I did not buy in because it was from Google. I bought in because it was the only service that allowed me to upload 150 GB of music onto their servers. I use this service daily. If it's not available no deal.

I bank with USAA and Georgia United Federal Credit Union and have apps for both. The experience.of using these applications is far superior to a web page. For USAA I prefer the app over accessing my account on a pc.

I don't think the issue is overblown. Smartphones in general all do the same things. You can buy a device running any one of the major OS's and expect feature parity. Any platform offering less features, less compatibility/ interoperability is at a serious disadvantage. There is no need to make excuses.
    Couldn't agree more. If you read the comments on this forum, you'll see all the excuses made for BlackBerry - "no one NEEDS all those apps" - ok- no one NEEDS an expensive smartphone. But people want them, and they like modern technology. So, what is wrong with that? Apps are great and make life easier. So why should people give them up to use a browser? Someone on these forums sat in a focus group with BlackBerry and stated the BlackBerry reps were saying no one needs apps when they can use a browser. Look where that got them. A lot of ya'll sound like them! If I can't get the one app I need or WANT, then the app gap remains huge. To those who criticized the grandmother for wanting to play app games with her grandkids- why shouldn't she? She can do that on other platforms, so why shouldn't she require that from BlackBerry? She should not have to give that up because BlackBerry can't deliver it. If all I want my phone for is "work" and "productivity" then I can ditch BlackBerry altogether and use a cheap phone for calls, texts, and email. All phones do that, and you know my old Hello Kitty phone never once dropped my email or couldn't recognize my password which my q10 does regularly. So much for a "prosumer" phone. We shouldn't have to "settle" because BlackBerry can't deliver. And people shouldn't be criticized because they want/expect from BlackBerry what other platforms simply provide.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-09-14 12:13 PM
    I agree with the OP. I downloaded a few apps, don't use them but wanted to have them just the same. The Other apps in my so called gap I won't use because of the permissions that they inexplicably need. Anyone taken a look at Pandora lately? Apollo doesn't need all that...

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 12:21 PM
214 12345 ...