Hi,

I want to get the new 9810. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on whether I should buy a 9810 that is unbranded & unlocked or if I should buy one from Rogers and have it unlocked. I'm a Fido customer.

Also, are there any advantages or disadvantages to one or the other? Does the unbranded one have features/software that Rogers disabled or changed, and so on.

I'm really new on most of this so your help & opinions are greatly appreciated.

Than You Very Much For Your Time & Effort,
    R.
    09-02-11 11:59 AM
    No real benefit to unbranding, it just removes the carrier logos from the start up screens. It MIGHT make it reboot slightly faster, but probably won't make THAT much of a difference (like a nano second faster). There are other programs you can use to remove the bloatware, that rogers/RIM preloads. Namely BB-Boss and BB Swiss Army Knife. Unbranded will come unlocked, but a Rogers model will have to be unlocked which you will have to pay for, so that will increase you cost AFTER the purchase. BUT the unbranded model will cost you more (most likely). You will find good unlocking deals in our Unlocking Forum, most unlockers give a discount to CBers and often run daily specials and/or give out free codes daily, or periodically.
    09-02-11 12:57 PM
    Thanx for the info

Do BB-Boss and BB Swiss Army Knife wipe it totally Like back to factory? Can I also get rid of the Rogers startup screen with them too?

Thanx,
    R.
    09-02-11 01:13 PM
    Thanx for the info

Do BB-Boss and BB Swiss Army Knife wipe it totally Like back to factory? Can I also get rid of the Rogers startup screen with them too?

Thanx,
    R.
    Taking a BB back to factory and unbranding it are 2 different things. Unbranding a BlackBerry requires the use of illegal software, which is not available to the general public. We don't really allow that subject to be discussed on CB. We can sorta dance around it as we are doing now, BUT this is as far as we can go. If you REALLY want unbranded you should buy it that way. Trying to unbrand it yourself WITHOUT the proper knowledge can ruin your BlackBerry beyond repair AND like I said requires difficult to obtain illegal software.
    09-02-11 01:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD