Hey guys, my service provider is Rogers and I am unable to connect to websites when accessing the browser. The wifi is on and is displaying my router connection but when I try to access a website, i get this " unable to connect to the internet, please try again later. If the problem persists please contact your service provider".

i've heard that Rogers does not help out and rather tells you that you're unable to access wifi w/o a data plan. They do this just so you buy their data plans.

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem. Let me know.

Thanks
    03-05-11 05:57 PM
    Download bolt or opera. It should work over wifi. Although they are sub-par browsers when compared to the stock BB browser

Unfortunately, the stock Blackberry Browser usually requires data to run off wifi. Nothing you can really do about it
    Last edited by aznlgcy; 03-05-11 at 06:28 PM.
    03-05-11 06:26 PM
    thank you.
    03-05-11 07:12 PM
    had that same issue on mine, it was a manufacture issue.
    03-05-11 09:09 PM
    Make sure you have data turned on under Options/Netowrk Connections/Molbile Network. Data plan or not, if this is off you can't connect with wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by stewartj1; 03-06-11 at 07:14 AM.
    A0Z likes this.
    03-06-11 06:58 AM
    RIM disabled the Hotspot option in OS6 which in previous OSs allowed you to use wifi for browsing without a data plan so the rep was right and was not forcing you to get a data plan. So AZNLGCY is right and those are your only 2 options for browsing without a data plan. Good luck

03-06-11 12:18 PM
    RIM disabled the Hotspot option in OS6 which in previous OSs allowed you to use wifi for browsing without a data plan so the rep was right and was not forcing you to get a data plan. So AZNLGCY is right and those are your only 2 options for browsing without a data plan. Good luck

Yeah, i read up on the bolt and opera and understood that it is not torch friendly, so i'm just going to have to live w/o torch internet browsing for now. It was such a tease when I inserted my friends simcard in my torch who had data and used the internet. Amazing browsing..
    03-06-11 05:13 PM
    So you're not allowed using WiFi unless you have a data plan? Lol that is the biggest scam I've ever heard in my life.
    UN4GTBL likes this.
    03-06-11 06:09 PM
    So you're not allowed using WiFi unless you have a data plan? Lol that is the biggest scam I've ever heard in my life.
    You are allowed to use wifi, just the core BB apps won't work and you need to download third-party apps as alternatives to the core BB apps
    03-06-11 06:12 PM
    You are allowed to use wifi, just the core BB apps won't work and you need to download third-party apps as alternatives to the core BB apps
    what if I get my phone unlocked? will that solve the problem....
    03-06-11 07:42 PM
    no that won't solve the problem. All unlocking does is allow you to use you phone on another carrier. It will not unlock core phone functions. So still without a data plan you can't use core BB apps. You got to find work arounds.
    03-06-11 07:47 PM
    So basically you need to download another browser for it to work with WiFi sans a data plan?
    03-07-11 08:00 AM
    So basically you need to download another browser for it to work with WiFi sans a data plan?
    From what I have read yes, that is exactly what you have to do.
    03-07-11 10:55 AM
    From what I have read yes, that is exactly what you have to do.
    Ok that's not so bad considering I'm getting a data plan anyway...but when I do have a data plan I'm guessing that WiFi doesn't add to your data?

I've heard some horror stories of it doing just that.
    03-07-11 12:48 PM
    Ok that's not so bad considering I'm getting a data plan anyway...but when I do have a data plan I'm guessing that WiFi doesn't add to your data?

I've heard some horror stories of it doing just that.
    If you're connected through WiFi, then no, you shouldn't incur any data charges.

As was pointed out you do need to have Data Services to ON, but you can disable your Mobile Network under Connections to confirm that you are indeed going through WiFi only!
    Last edited by fnord; 03-07-11 at 12:58 PM.
    03-07-11 12:55 PM
    thats y me luv blackberry
    05-04-11 12:00 AM
    I'm on TELUS (Canadian) and was vacationing in Florida last week. I subscribed to an international SMS package so I could text while in the US, but turned my data off so I wouldn't get charged data roaming. I assumed that when I connected to a wifi network, I'd be able to browse the web and use BBM, etc. This wasn't the case. I connected to a few wifi networks, and with my data off, I couldn't browse the web or anything else. I turned my data on briefly and that solved the issue, but I turned it off again to keep myself from getting any data charges. Hope RIM really reconsiders this.
    05-04-11 08:57 AM
    You need BIS/BES to surf. BB won't work with WiFi only.
    05-04-11 10:53 AM
    I'm on TELUS (Canadian) and was vacationing in Florida last week. I subscribed to an international SMS package so I could text while in the US, but turned my data off so I wouldn't get charged data roaming. I assumed that when I connected to a wifi network, I'd be able to browse the web and use BBM, etc. This wasn't the case. I connected to a few wifi networks, and with my data off, I couldn't browse the web or anything else. I turned my data on briefly and that solved the issue, but I turned it off again to keep myself from getting any data charges. Hope RIM really reconsiders this.
    Best thing to do would be to only turn on your data once you have connected to a wifi netowrk to avoid data roaming charges...

Then you could browse without using data. Leaving the data on the whole time and only browsing when on wifi might incurr costs from push email / app's updating over data

05-04-11 11:10 AM
    switch the router off and on , I deleted the saved wifi profile from my torch , waited for router to reboot , searched for it , put in password and it connected . added it to smart wifi
    06-01-12 04:14 AM
    stewartj1
    Make sure you have data turned on under Options/Netowrk Connections/Molbile Network. Data plan or not, if this is off you can't connect with wifi.
    12-30-12 07:03 AM

Thank you!
    12-30-12 07:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD