I just got my Alltel 8330m and I tried to use BB Maps and it said "unable to acquire a GPS lock". I retried a few times, exited the program and restarted, and did a batt pull and the most I got was "searching for satellites". The guy I got it from is a friend and he said that BB Maps never worked for him either. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Frankie
    01-06-10 03:25 PM
    do you have a data plan?
    01-06-10 05:27 PM
    Yes I do. It worked on my VZW 8830 but it won't work on this phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-10 05:34 PM
    What OS version is on the device?
    Are you outside?
    Do you have a clear view of the sky?
    How long are you waiting before exiting out of BBMaps?
    01-07-10 10:28 AM
    I'm running a .169 hybrid now but it didn't work on regular .169 either. I used to get gps on my 8830 inside my house, but yes I have tried it outside with a clear shot of the sky. I would get a gps lock in 5-10 seconds most of the time on my 8830 but I have waited a couple mins with this phone & nothing happens. A lot of the time I'll get the "unable to acquire gps lock" message as soon as I click the "start gps navigation" button, so the phone doesn't even give itself a chance to get a lock before it gives up

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-10 11:29 AM
    I got it to get a lock, it took over 5 mins but it did. Now it gets a lock within a few seconds. I dont understand lol
    01-10-10 12:38 PM
    Sometimes it can take as long as 10 minutes to get the initial lock on the 8330.
    01-10-10 04:06 PM
    I worked on mine for weeks. Finally have it nailed down after reading many posts and searching the Forums. The biggest thing for me was - buy an external GPS puck -bluetooth- let it grab the satellites. Then I run BB Maps and make sure that it sees the satellites. Leave Maps running, and start up any other GPS program that you want - AMAZE, Speedometer, NAv4all, Google Maps - and they will run flawlessly. I find that the internal GPS unit is just very weak. Once you go external with the puck, problem solved I bought the puck on EBAY for 25$ plus 5$ shipping.

Good Luck ..
    Wiggy
    01-11-10 09:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD