http://scitech.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=23952&external=865843.proteus. fma

The one thing I noticed is that BB was not mentioned in the article.

However the UFED is supposed to work on BB. It can even read deleted info. (Follow the link in the article)

I have nothing to hide personally but I still don't like the idea of a warrentless search.

Opinions anyone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-11 06:38 PM
    is the link supposed to go to a specific article?
    cuz it just leads to the main sci tech page, not an article
    04-20-11 06:47 PM
    actually you need to erase the space between the . and fma

FOX News - SciTech - Latest Headlines - Apple Users, Beware: iPhones Secretly Tracking Location, Experts Warn - Page 1 of 4
    04-20-11 06:48 PM
    Thanks for fixing that for me Fubaz

04-20-11 07:03 PM
    So what good is BlackBerry security if UFED can access BlackBerry data? Also, I wonder if UFED needs the BlackBerry's antenna to be on? Perhaps one can just shut off the BlackBerry's connections to thwart police searching ...

04-20-11 07:21 PM
    04-20-11 07:23 PM
    Wait a minute ... My BlackBerry uses content protection (encryption)! All data is encrypted when my device is locked! Extract all the encrypted data you want, UFED, lol.

04-20-11 07:51 PM
    So what good is BlackBerry security if UFED can access BlackBerry data? Also, I wonder if UFED needs the BlackBerry's antenna to be on? Perhaps one can just shut off the BlackBerry's connections to thwart police searching ...

The device plugs into the usb port and extracts the data that way.

04-20-11 08:15 PM
    The device plugs into the usb port and extracts the data that way.

Thanks. Good reason to enable content protection and to keep the device locked. Probably should make sure memory cleaning is taking place on a regular basis, like whenever the device is holstered.

04-20-11 08:18 PM
    04-20-11 08:40 PM
    Yeegads now every person on earth has a "black box" attached to them. Haha!

04-20-11 09:19 PM
    Wait a minute ... My BlackBerry uses content protection (encryption)! All data is encrypted when my device is locked! Extract all the encrypted data you want, UFED, lol.

Could someone use the method below to still get all of your info?

Cryogenically frozen RAM bypasses all disk encryption methods | ZDNet

When the phone is locked, does the ram still hold the encryption keys? If so than if they can get your phone, it doesn't matter if it's locked.
    04-20-11 10:21 PM
    I'm not sure. I would think that's where the BlackBerry's memory cleaning feature would come into play, but I'll wait for others to chime in.

04-20-11 10:32 PM
    I'll add one more thing: I don't think the private key would be in the RAM. I remember reading in BlackBerry literature that the small open lock indicator which appears at the top when the device is first locked means that the BlackBerry is deleting the private key from the device memory. The lock icon then changes to the locked position once deletion of the private key is complete.

Last edited by T�nis; 04-20-11 at 10:39 PM.
    04-20-11 10:36 PM
    I'll add one more thing: I don't think the private key would be in the RAM. I remember reading in BlackBerry literature that the small open lock indicator which appears at the top when the device is first locked means that the BlackBerry is deleting the private key from the device memory. The lock icon then changes to the locked position once deletion of the private key is complete.

That sounds good.
    04-21-11 02:06 AM
    So their new little toy would be useful on a Blackberry only if the data was NOT encrypted?

If it is encrypted they would get a bunch of unreadable files?

I don't encrypt my data because I have no need to but I don't like the idea of being pulled over for speeding and having the oficer demanding to see my phone. It has nothing to do with speeding.

04-21-11 08:52 AM
    You guys realize you do not have to give the officer your phone without a warrant, right? If he asks, you can decline. Just like he cannot search your car without your permission or a warrant.

04-22-11 01:31 PM
    You guys realize you do not have to give the officer your phone without a warrant, right? If he asks, you can decline. Just like he cannot search your car without your permission or a warrant.
    This is true. Good information. But the officer might search the car and the phone anyway, without your consent. If you consent to a search, you're on the hook for anything he finds. If you don't consent, he'll have to explain his probable cause to the judge. If he didn't have probable cause for the warrantless search, whatever he found will be deemed inadmissable. If the judge deems he did have probable cause, you're on the hook for whatever he found in the search. And that's why you should encrypt. I would never consent to a search.

Last edited by T�nis; 04-22-11 at 01:44 PM.
    04-22-11 01:38 PM
    Thank you for that info. I have nothing to hide at all, but as soon as I heard my state police had the device to copy your data, I immediately enabled my encryption. .

I kind of wonder what would ensue if you declined a search and/or your phone. :/ . Lol

04-22-11 01:58 PM
    Thank you for that info. I have nothing to hide at all, but as soon as I heard my state police had the device to copy your data, I immediately enabled my encryption. .

I kind of wonder what would ensue if you declined a search and/or your phone. :/ . Lol

Good job on the encryption! If the officer searches your phone against your wishes, he'll find encrypted files.

04-22-11 02:09 PM
    Probable cause could be fairly easy for an officer to claim. If he pulls you over all he has to do is claim that you are suspected of texting while driving.(In a state where it is illegal)

This is all speculation of course. I prefer to believe that the police are on our side and will only search a phone of someone suspected of a crime and not just because they have a new toy to play with.

04-22-11 02:18 PM
    Probable cause could be fairly easy for an officer to claim. If he pulls you over all he has to do is claim that you are suspected of texting while driving.(In a state where it is illegal)
    A real concern!
    I prefer to believe that the police are on our side and will only search a phone of someone suspected of a crime and not just because they have a new toy to play with.

It's a nice thought, but I prefer to encrypt and not help them build any kind of a case against me, even if it's only a case of texting while driving, lol.

04-22-11 02:24 PM
    I asked a cop friend of mine about the device and apparently the portable device is indeed used for texting while driving infractions. Furthermore it doesn't download phone info (the one in the station is for that) it uses your phone to connect to the cell tower and looks at the tower's logs to see if you were using the phone when you shouldn't have been.

Guess it doesn't matter if your logs an the handheld are encrypted or not.

04-22-11 03:56 PM
    I asked a cop friend of mine about the device and apparently the portable device is indeed used for texting while driving infractions. Furthermore it doesn't download phone info (the one in the station is for that) it uses your phone to connect to the cell tower and looks at the tower's logs to see if you were using the phone when you shouldn't have been.

So, is it hacking the carrier, or is the carrier giving law enforcement information without a court order?

04-22-11 03:59 PM

04-22-11 04:12 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD