Did a search within the pearl forums because I'm not sure what other models have wifi with uma or wifi at all.

Anyway here's my issue:

When I have wifi on, the calls are automatically placed over UMA (which is used instead of the GSM network for better quality I've read somewhere, and you can also tether and talk at the same time, blah blah blah).

The only problem is: when I leave a wifi area while in a call, CALL FAILED. Oh, thanks, can't you just switch to GSM when wifi goes out of range? Is this possible? I don't know.. Do you?

Or do I just have to keep it on GSM all the time.. I know you can say wifi or GSM preferred but I can't figure out if there's a way to make it like this:

Data: wifi preferred
    Voice: gsm preferred
    06-08-09 01:55 AM
    On the Rogers Wireless network this feature is called TalkSpot and it's advertised as being able to initiate a call over WiFi at home and if you leave your home the call is still free since you initiated the call over WiFi, the call continues.

I would assume the phone can handle what you are asking for then. Perhaps T-Mobile can't then?
    06-08-09 01:44 PM
    I know sometimes the phone has problem with switching from UMA to GSM network... It disconnects from one completely while in transit... I have 8120 myself & that has happen to me few times... Try this... When you're at home or somewhere that offers free wifi, & you know you're gonna be there for a while, click on "manage connections" & uncheck "moble network"... Now at that point, your phone will only work on wi-fi... Reverse works as well... If you know your phone gets good reception at home, go into same place & uncheck "Wi-Fi"... Now the phone will only work on GSM net work... Mine does work here & there, switching back & forth from gsm to uma... But there's always been some sort of distortion for few seconds, may be 10 - 15 seconds... It's 1/2 & 1/2... But I don't get that great of a signal when I'm home so once I'm home, I tend to turn off "mobile network" so my phone will only work on wi-fi off of my router... I do have t-mobile, by the way... And I don't think you can't split the voice & data... If you're on wi-fi, then you're on wi-fi... Not voice on gsm & data on wi-fi... There are phones, at least for tmobile, that has built in wi-fi but doesn't have UMA software so by default, it has to be set up the way you said, voice on gsm & data on wi-fi... But with 8120, you don't have a choice, I don't think... I'm 85% sure but I could be wrong...
    Last edited by sk66rc; 06-08-09 at 02:34 PM.
    06-08-09 02:30 PM
    Well it defaults to using the Wifi for calling anyway unless of course wifi is disabled..

I just want to know if there is a fix to keep it from dropping calls when the wifi is out of range, and automatically have it switch to the mobile network during the call.

I know you can say wifi or network preferred but I'd want it to be preffered as:

voice calling: network (or wifi if it can switch like I stated above)
    data: wifi (when available)
    Last edited by andrewopolis; 06-08-09 at 02:53 PM.
    06-08-09 02:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD