I hate to admit it, I call myself fairly technically savvy, but I did not know until last week that there was such a thing as connecting to a wireless router and talking on a cell phone. The three spots I need to use my 8130 the most, home, work, and work 2, have no cell signal but all have wireless internet. After reading post I see that UMA makes this possible but when I contacted AT&T they said they do not support this service. I did not think at the time to ask if "do not support" meant it would not work. I understand that the 8310 does not have Wifi capabilities, (although I do have the AT&T data plan) and was looking into purchasing a 8320 off of eBay. I just did not want to do so only to find out it still would not work. Can someone please tell me what is involved in gettting an unlocked 8320 from ebay to work on a wireless internet router or is this possible?
    Thanks!!
    JCTapp
    08-16-09 08:03 AM
    Switch to T-Mobile. They are the only company who offers UMA calling and with their $9.99 add on you have unlimited UMA calling.
    08-16-09 08:28 AM
    Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) is seen as a threat to the existing revenue model for most carriers. They do not, and are not ever likely to support UMA.

T-Mobile (USA) and Rogers (Canada) take a different viewpoint. They have embraced UMA technology to supplement their existing mobile network.

Like you, I live and work in a very limited signal zone. Wifi and UMA provide me with the quality of service I expect, and pay for.

Would switching to T-Mobile be advantageous to you? Full signal and unlimited voice and data is a powerful incentive.
    08-16-09 09:18 AM
    I think the OP is just wanting to have recpetion in those dead areas that have a wireless router. Can he do that, have cell/data with an unlocked 8320 on At&t? Your calls will be deducted from your plans minutes.

However, if you are looking to make unlimited calls over a wireless router your only option is to switch to T-mobile. $9.99 covers all the phones in a family plan too.
    08-16-09 11:59 AM
    I think the OP is just wanting to have recpetion in those dead areas that have a wireless router. Can he do that, have cell/data with an unlocked 8320 on At&t? Your calls will be deducted from your plans minutes.

However, if you are looking to make unlimited calls over a wireless router your only option is to switch to T-mobile. $9.99 covers all the phones in a family plan too.
    No. AT&T does not maintain a UMA server.

That would be true for a T-Mobile customer, but the AT&T Curve will only use Wifi with the Hotspot Browser.
    08-16-09 12:42 PM
    I had Tmo before switching to Att. They did not get reception in the places I mentioned either and less in other places than my Att. I guess from the reples to my post that it is not possible is that the case? Also I have about 6 months left on the att contract.
    08-16-09 01:17 PM
    I thought that google voice app got around all of that and you could use that to make phone calls using the data instead of actual minutes whether it be with the data from att or just wifi?
    08-16-09 01:26 PM
    Negative.....uma is uma gv is a dialer app and provides number consolidation

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-09 09:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD