I'm at my wit's end here. I've spent the last 90 minutes reading through this forum for a solution to my problem, to no avail, so perhaps someone could provide me their direct insight to the following. (My apologies in advance for the lengthy post, but I thought it best to get as much out there as I could):

My wife & I bought new 8320s today through our carrier Tmobile & added the H@H services for 9.99/month. I specifically bought these phones because of the wifi connectivity & good reviews, but have had nothing but problems with UMA since setting up my phones 9 hours ago. My eyes are red now.

My high-speed internet is through AT&T's U-verse service (a TV-Internet bundle), and our wireless router / residential gateway is a 2Wire (I believe the model is 3800HGV-B). I get very high signal (~46 dbm) wifi on channel 11 (We're the only one on the neighborhood; a neighbor has a very week connection to channel 6 that flutters in and out of visability.) I do not believe interference to be the problem. We must continue use of this router in order for our service to work correctly, but I believe I can layer another one on top of it if needed. I've yet to attempt this step and am somewhat leary of what other problems that might cause.

Anyhow, our BBs can connect to our wifi no problem & are assigned an IP. I can see this from the phone, and I can also log into the router and see that they are connected. Running diagnostics from the router says there is nothing wrong with the connection. Our laptops (2 of them) work flawlessly connecting to the Internet over this router.

From the perspective of my phones, when they first connect, the phone switches to UMA and I get wifi services, but this tends to last all of about 1-3 minutes if I'm lucky, then the phone switches back over to EDGE. I run the diagnostics from the BB and can see that it is still connected to wifi, an down under the UMA section, "UMA Wi-Fi Available" is checked yes, but the Connection is checked "no." I'm getting the W005.1 (ISP Error.Retry) message. I do realize that this ambiguous message tends to blame the service provider by definition, but I'm confused as to if/why ATT U-Verse would be allowing me to use UMA for a few minutes then disconnecting me. I will call them tomorrow to try to troubleshoot, but I have a feeling the people on this forum will tend to be more helpful.

Furthermore, I'm not really sure what it means, but the diagnostics also reference a few sites sitting at t-mobileuncs.com domain, but I would venture that these are accessed later down the chain (after the UMA connection is established), since they only seem to show that I've authenticated in those rare instances where I connect to UMA.

Regardless, rebooting the phone and rebooting the router do not resolve the UMA disconnect from occuring. I have tried setting the phone to wifi only, and get the same results (I currently am running wi-fi prefered). I have noticed that once or twice, the phones have intermittently switched back onto UMA, but again this only lasts a minute or so, and is very rare. Usually, I will have to shut down wifi and restart it in order to force a (very brief) connection. This too doesn't always work. Strager still, every once in a while the wifi diagnostics will say that hte UMA connection is successful, but the phone still prefers to sit on the EDGE network.

I would say that the phones are sitting on EDGE about 95% of the time, maybe more. I'm losing my mind. If this service simply does not work on AT&T U-Verse, I would like to know so I can determine which service (U-Verse or Tmobile) to cut. For whatever its worth, prior to my buying the phones from T-Mobile, I asked the AT&T technician who installed the U-Verse service if it would be problematic to run UMA over their service and he said "no," although God only knows if he really knew what I was talking about.

Anyway, please someone help! I think I'm starting to lose my mind over this.

Dan S.
    Last edited by ds2213; 09-27-08 at 11:22 PM.
    09-27-08 11:18 PM
    The good news is that you're not crazy, Dan.

I've had the same problem with my 8320 since I got it. Set it up for WiFi preffered, etc, and it would still hand off to EDGE or GPRS after 3 or 4 minutes into a call.

The fix is simple: when you're at home, turn off Mobile Connection. I've been doing this for a month or so, and it works great. Call quality is great, no dropped calls, and email/data work flawlessly. I ocassionally forget to turn Mobile Network back on when I leave the house, but that's really the only drawback.

FWIW, I'm running OS4.5.81 official.

I hope this helps.
    09-28-08 01:58 AM
    Unfortunately, turning off the EDGE (mobile) service doesn't help. I should also point out that I've tried the following tips I've gathered from other forums without resolve:

1. Setting one of our phone to allow PPTP server access in the 2Wire firewall. It seemed to allow my wife's phone access to UMA, but this morning it was back to Edge. It never had any effect on my phone

2. Layering my old Netgear router on top of the 2Wire router and trying to run my phones off of the Netgear wireless. Once again, I can connect to wifi, but get the dreaded yellow circle with white line through it. Strangely enough the wifi diagnostics are more confusing here than they were before. Under the UMA header the diagnostics say:

UMA Wi-Fi Available: (NOT CHECKED)
    Connection: (CHECKED)
    Registration (CHECKED)
    Authentication (CHECKED)

Still, both phones stay on Edge, though are on wifi prefered.

On an related note that probably can't be answered in this forum, now my U-verse TV is not working even though my internet is up, so I've got another problem to contend with as well. I think my wife is going to kill me soon.
    09-28-08 09:48 AM
    That is a really frustrating problem.

One possible issue is interference from non-broadcasting 2.4 GHz devices, portable phones in particular.

The only time I have dropped my UMA connections is when my LinkSys Skype phone is in use. It floods the place with 2.4 GHz interference. UMA returns as soon as the phone is hung up.

Another possible source of interference is a poorly shielded microwave oven. Mine is fine, but others have reported this issue.

You most recient issue will likely be solved by resetting the router to factory defaults prior to making any further changes.

09-28-08 12:47 PM
    Hi,
    I'm new here... Just bought my T-Mobile 8320 yesterday. WiFi was working fine until this afternoon. It keeps cutting out on me - I guess - and I get a "call failed" message. I'm using a linksys cable modem with an Apple Extreme Airport Base station router. I've also got Vonage voip in the loop. I'm beginning to think I need a splitter on the cable to separate the voip phone from the internet wireless signal. That's all the farther I've gotten on this question.

I think I'm only 1/2-techie, as my father and brothers were engineers, and my sons are Geeks in varying degrees from REALLY Geek to just-a-little geek.
    One son's Mother-in-law loves her 8320 and uses it with wifi all the time, without the BB internet packaged service. T-Mobile tells me that if I don't pay a $10 monthly fee, then my WiFi minutes will still be deducted from my overall minutes. So I pay it. Cheaper than the family "unlimited" plan.

Sorry about the rambling.
    09-28-08 06:33 PM
    Hi ds2213,
    I have been experiencing the same exact problem you have been. I have AT&T U-Verse with the 2WIRE 3800HGV-B router.

I'm able to connect Wi-Fi, however, almost every time I make a call while connected to UMA, it disconnects from UMA and my calls are dropped. Most of the time, they are dropped almost instantly.

Was wondering if you were able to solve your problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    10-25-08 01:29 AM
    BUMP TTT.

Thanks.
    10-27-08 12:21 AM
    BUMP TTT.

I've changed the firewall settings for the Blackberry Curve 8320 on the AT&T U-Verse 2WIRE router by adding the PPTP server the be allowed, but every time I make a voice call while connected to WiFi via UMA, it drops IMMEDIATELY after the call is connected.

I've also changed the channel to be various channels.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also... has anyone piggybacked the T-Mobile Hotspot@Home Linksys router to the AT&T U-Verse 2WIRE router? If so, did WiFi UMA calling work out of the box or did you have to change any of the T-Mobile/Linksys router settings?
    10-27-08 04:01 PM
    I personally dont use either one of those routers and have no issues. And I have horrible "mobile" connection at my house. I'm using a motorola router and verizon DSl. I can give you my settings if you think this will help you.
    10-27-08 05:26 PM
    I personally dont use either one of those routers and have no issues. And I have horrible "mobile" connection at my house. I'm using a motorola router and verizon DSl. I can give you my settings if you think this will help you.
    Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, I am forced to use the AT&T U-Verse router because the 2WIRE router is both a cable TV signal router and a broadband internet router. I cannot unplug it and use a different router (even though I wish I could).

Tonight, my company issued me a BlackBerry 8820 as well, and I am able to successfully connect WiFi at home and consistently hold a UMA connection. When I dial out while connected to UMA, it successfully connects the call and does not drop it, unlike the BlackBerry 8320 model, which so many other people have also experienced. So I have two models (8320 and 8820) side by side and one consistently drops the UMA connection after dialing the voice call (8320), and the other (8820) is successful at dialing and connecting and talking.

So is this a design flaw???
    10-28-08 12:49 AM
    I actually do prefer the 8320 because it is smaller and lighter than the 8820.
    10-28-08 12:49 AM
    What OS are they running?
    10-28-08 10:07 AM
    The 8820 is running 4.2.2.193
    The 8320 is running 4.2.2.180
    10-28-08 05:01 PM
    My 8820 was doing the same thing. I took it by one of the local stores. The very nice lady said that she knew about the problem. She did the following to fix it -- go to Manage Connections, then to WiFi options. If Hotspot @ Home is above your Home connection, move your Home connection to the top. She changed that on my phone and everything is working wonderfully now.
    10-28-08 05:17 PM
    Did that work for you? Im very curious about the solution to this now.
    10-29-08 11:04 AM
    I spent far too much time trying to resolve the same issue. I posted about it here. I'm sorry to hear they haven't resolved it yet. I ended up getting rid of the phone and going through another provider. I just couldn't take the headaches anymore.
    10-29-08 02:19 PM
    My 8820 was doing the same thing. I took it by one of the local stores. The very nice lady said that she knew about the problem. She did the following to fix it -- go to Manage Connections, then to WiFi options. If Hotspot @ Home is above your Home connection, move your Home connection to the top. She changed that on my phone and everything is working wonderfully now.
    This is because you are using Hotspot@Home. I'm using the AT&T U-Verse router.
    10-29-08 07:00 PM
    I spent far too much time trying to resolve the same issue. I posted about it here. I'm sorry to hear they haven't resolved it yet. I ended up getting rid of the phone and going through another provider. I just couldn't take the headaches anymore.
    Yeah... tell me about it.

So... I'm going to upgrade my BlackBerry OS to 4.5x... We'll see if that helps. I really do prefer the 8320 Curve over the supposedly more advanced 8820, but I may have no choice.

My company is all using the 8320 Curve, but we received a few 8820 demo units.
    10-29-08 07:09 PM
    So does your 8330 Sprint one work now?
    10-29-08 07:09 PM
    did you try moving the option to the top?
    michaelpgraf likes this.
    10-30-08 02:23 PM
    did you try moving the option to the top?
    Has nothing to do with it because I'm not even running the Hotspot@Home router. I'm using the AT&T U-Verse 2WIRE 3800 router.

I suspect the other poster's issue was the fact that the network was low on the priority list and wasn't connect to that one right away.
    10-31-08 01:01 PM
    Here's an update... Mysteriously, I am now able to make and receive calls while connected to the Wi-Fi in UMA mode, using my BlackBerry 8320 over the AT&T U-Verse 2WIRE 3800 router.

Why mysteriously? Because I can't figure out what change caused the thing to work. Only two things I did recently. Loaded the 4.5 desktop software to my machine and tried to update my OS, only to be stopped because the BB is managed through the BB enterprise server, two, connected my BB via an encrypted network and added a CA cert and inner link security option.

Both changes should have had NO impact to my network at home, but mysteriously, UMA doesn't drop anymore.
    10-31-08 01:04 PM
    Hmm, that is odd. Glad you got it going though.
    11-01-08 10:06 AM
    This is quite an old topic, but I was having this same problem with my bold 9700 so I thought I'd share my solution for any future troubled users. Fixed the issue by changing the channel on my wireless router to number 11.
    06-03-10 07:55 PM
    I've been experiencing dropped calls during UMA phone conversations for the longest. Changing the channel to 11 on my Belkin Pre-N router worked perfectly.
    07-07-10 12:50 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD