Not sure if this is the best place to post this. It may not be specific to BlackBerry devices, but this kind of scam has been running for a long time. This does NOT affect browsing over Wi-Fi.

A webpage which has ads inserted via an ad network could forcibly redirect to a webpage which immediately charges directly to your phone bill or debits your credit. Granted, most web ads and popups are harmless, but this kind of thing shouldn't be allowed to happen.

This scam is operated by the "big 4" UK networks: EE, Vodafone, O2 and Three. It is facilitated by a backend service called "PayForIt" (external link) which can charge directly to a user's phone bill or credit without any type of authorization.

When using PayForIt, a clear webpage should be shown informing the user that proceeding will result in a charge to the victim's phone bill. This should also clearly show the amount which will be charged. Scammers take advantage of this system by disguising the proceed button as another element such as an invisible button covering the whole page, so that clicking or tapping anywhere will result in a charge being made. All they have to do now is simply hide the PayForIt confirmation elements behind other webpage elements, so that they aren't visible.

However, now it seems that crooks are including Javascript code which will automaticlly activate the proceed button without any user intervention, causing victims to get charged, simply for landing on a maliciously crafted webpage. This usually happens on a Friday night, and I'll explain why later.

I have been duped by this scam. It has happened before, but that was only a one-off charge so I let it slide. I called my operator, and requested that a �0.00 spending limit to be placed on my account in the hopes of preventing this from happening again. They confirmed that this has been successfully applied, and will be effective immediately. But this didn't seem to mean anything, because it happened again anyway, completely bypassing the �0.00 spending limit on my account. Only this time, I have been forcibly subscribed to a �4.50 per week service without my consent.

UK users beware! Operator run charge-to-bill SCAM affecting 3G/4G browsing on Friday nights-img_20160806_004129.png UK users beware! Operator run charge-to-bill SCAM affecting 3G/4G browsing on Friday nights-img_20160806_013744.png

Now I know that posting phone numbers is against the rules, but I hope you'll grant me a one time exception so that I can name and shame the poor excuse of a company "TapVids" as well as my operator, Three. If this is a problem, please inform me and I will repost this, but with the numbers blurred.

The second screenshot shows that a �4.50 charge has indeed been made to my phone bill. And of course, when attempting to send STOP to 64055, I get "Unidentified subscriber". Did you really think it would be that easy?!

UK users beware! Operator run charge-to-bill SCAM affecting 3G/4G browsing on Friday nights-img_20160806_011700.png

My first step is to terminate Three's Direct Debit on my account. This will be effective on Monday. I will not pay any further bills until this matter is resolved to my satisfaction.

My next step is to contact the number shown on the text. The reason this usually happens on a Friday night is because their "customer services", as well as your operator's customer services are typically closed until Monday. This means that they can bill you AGAIN for next week before you have a chance to dispute it! Therefore, it results in each poor sucker getting billed a minimum of �9. I'll have to wait until Monday before calling that number and demanding a refund.

If I am unable to get a refund from this service, then I will inform my operator, and demand a refund from them. If I am still unable to get a refund from them, then I will tell them that I am leaving them at the end of the month (no contract) and will not be paying the final bill until this matter is resolved.

Finally, as a last resort, I will register a complaint to PhonepayPlus, and prepare to take both Three and TapVids to the small claims court.
    I'll probably register a complaint about TapVids to PhonepayPlus anyway purely for abusing the (let's face it, horrifically flawed) PayForIt system.

I checked out the shortcode number on PhonepayPlus.

UK users beware! Operator run charge-to-bill SCAM affecting 3G/4G browsing on Friday nights-img_20160806_005420.png

Notice how this service has only been active for less than a month. Are these kinds of services set up and operated until PhonepayPlus closes them down (which probably doesn't take very long), and then a fresh one is set up? Additionally, it states that the service is currently operating. Why doesn't the STOP shortcode work then?

If anybody else here has been caught by this, please - DO NOT SUFFER IN SILENCE, fight these crooks, as well as your operator and share your experiences here.
    Last edited by Someone7272; 08-05-16 at 09:50 PM.
    baarn and RumoredNow like this.
    08-05-16 09:31 PM
    Thanks, haven't had any of this yet. Maybe there's similar scams down here in Australia, but hey... :-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    08-06-16 12:27 AM
    So, pro tip. Use Firefox and no script on your desktop and mobile devices, it will prevent this from running.

Furthermore, refrain from visiting shady sites.

I'm surprised the blackberry browser was tricked like that, I could see an android device being scammed, but didn't think BB10 could perform the type of operation necessary.

Yeah, complain, and report them to every official channel you can, perhaps even call the media in on this.

Posted via a Priv on an 6.0 Mushroom
    08-06-16 01:06 AM
    Thanks, haven't had any of this yet. Maybe there's similar scams down here in Australia, but hey... :-)
    I don't think that "PayForIt" or similar services operate in Australia so you'll be okay on this front. However, you should still be careful of premium-rate shortcode texts.

So, pro tip. Use Firefox and no script on your desktop and mobile devices, it will prevent this from running.

Furthermore, refrain from visiting shady sites.

I'm surprised the blackberry browser was tricked like that, I could see an android device being scammed, but didn't think BB10 could perform the type of operation necessary.

Yeah, complain, and report them to every official channel you can, perhaps even call the media in on this.
    Thanks for that, I've now installed the latest Firefox APK directly from Firefox, which seems to work, but does not run very well. I also installed the AdBlockPlus extension along with it. Hopefully this will reduce the chances of it happening again.

The reason the BlackBerry Browser got tricked by it is because it doesn't matter what device you're using, the PayForIt service provides your mobile number to the malicious adverts based off your mobile network's IP address. From there, they can simulate a user agreeing to click the button with a little Javascript. Heck, perhaps I should start doing this, if they can get away with it, why can't I? I'll be so rich quickly...

If BlackBerry 10 used BIS which sends web browsing through a proxy server operated by BlackBerry, this probably wouldn't be possible.

What exactly constitutes a shady site? The website I was visiting was a technology news blog which I frequently visit on my PC (but we have a commercial web filtering proxy which is very good at blocking adverts), so I'm suprised this happened.

I scroll down the page, suddenly an advert fills the page and opens 3 popup windows. I quickly close them all, and 5 minutes later, I receive the text message shown at the top of this thread.

I've been on the phone to my operator's customer services, and they tried everything they could to get the charges cancelled, but were unable to do so. I have now given 30 days notice to terminate my plan with them. They were not happy about this, and offered to change my phone number. While this would stop any further charges from this service, it'll probably still happen again with a different fraudulant service, so I declined and asked to leave the operator. I also requested to initiate a formal complaint against them.

I will be calling TapVids on Monday in a three-way call with my operator to demand a refund from them. Failing that then I will immediately terminate my operator's direct debit on my account, and only pay the final bill amount excluding the fraudulant charges. They can chase me for �4.50 - �9 if they like. They're not getting it.

Regardless of the outcome, I will also raise a formal complaint with PhonepayPlus, the regulator of UK premium phone services, and tell them that TapVids are abusing the PayForIt system.

My last resort is legal action aginst TapVids for charging me for a service which I didn't want, nor ask for, and also against Three for not providing adequate safeguards to stop this from happening, despite claiming that they would do so.
    Last edited by Someone7272; 08-06-16 at 09:05 AM.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    08-06-16 08:22 AM
    Wow - I had no idea. Good luck, 7272. Too bad your only option is to destroy your account and phone number.

Does anyone know if this scam can occur in Canada?

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    08-07-16 12:45 AM
    Wow - I had no idea. Good luck, 7272. Too bad your only option is to destroy your account and phone number.

Does anyone know if this scam can occur in Canada?
    You are safe. This particular scam can only affect UK users.

I have given my 30 days notice to terminate my plan with the operator. I also opted to ditch the number. Somebody said to report it to Action Fraud, PhonepayPlus but things are not looking good. I didn't want to leave this operator but if I can't trust them to protect their customers, what choice do I have?
    08-07-16 09:50 AM

Prem WatsApp, I did some research and I have some bad news for you. According to the Australian Communications Consumer Action Network (ACCAN), turns out carriers in Australia are operating similar charge-to-bill services. That means this scam IS possible in Australia!

I recommend you use the Firefox APK (get it directly from Firefox) and install AdBlock Plus. I know it's hard to ditch the BlackBerry 10 browser, as it is great, but you're only one popup away from being illegitimately billed for/subscribed to services which you didn't want nor request!
    08-07-16 06:59 PM
    Sounds nasty. Good luck with it, hope you get a result. You might want to get in touch with the regulator ofcom.org.uk.
    08-07-16 07:00 PM
    It has been many days since the company, identifying as "Txtnation" promised to call me back. Obviously they haven't. I was able to get the subscription cancelled but they won't refund the �4.50. Instead, they just say that they'll call me back to discuss a refund. There's a better chance of me winning millions on the lottery.

Three aren't making any efforts to help me, or even stop me from leaving them, so I'll be without service from the 5th September until I find a carrier who can offer unlimited data.

PhonepayPlus are now investigating Tapvids/Txtnation/64055, but I don't think they can help me to get a refund.

Will be away in Spain next week, but I will keep you posted here if anything changes.
    08-12-16 03:14 PM
    We have that scam running in Canada already it's run by our big 3 telecom operators, who charge us the highest$$$$ according to a new report. We have the highest Cell phone and data charges in the G20.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-16 04:00 PM
    This is why I stick with pre-payed, I don't trust Carriers with my credit card or bank info. I've met to many people with crazy roaming fee's up to 2000� or tricked into 15� min. Numbers that look like a local number. There are to many ways to scam and Carriers don't have you in there best interest.
    08-12-16 05:46 PM
    This is why I stick with pre-payed, I don't trust Carriers with my credit card or bank info. I've met to many people with crazy roaming fee's up to 2000€ or tricked into 15€ min. Numbers that look like a local number. There are to many ways to scam and Carriers don't have you in there best interest.
    Please note that this has nothing to do with roaming charges.

This kind of scam can actually screw prepaid customers over more, because it can instantaneously run a prepaid balance to zero, rendering your prepaid plan useless. In extreme cases, it can even result in a negative balance.
    08-12-16 05:59 PM
    Please note that this has nothing to do with roaming charges.

This kind of scam can actually screw prepaid customers over more, because it can instantaneously run a prepaid balance to zero, rendering your prepaid plan useless. In extreme cases, it can even result in a negative balance.
    I am aware that it isn't about roaming, I just don't want to risk more than the max. 30� that I have on my pre-payed Flatrate. My Carrier only have my email address and I reload in cash at the supermarket, negative balance is not possible with my account.

Thanks for the info and I wish you all the best with your claim.

PS: I recently also visited a tech site and there where also strange pop ups with Javascript, the first time I click it away because most virus are not made for BB10, but the second time I just close the browser. I'm sure this could have been an attack like you mentioned.
    08-13-16 04:00 AM
    I'm on a month-to-month prepaid "plan", no contract.

Basically, I recharge $40 on Boost to get my "UNLTD." entitlement, then my prepaid balance instantly drops to $0, and I can make unlimited calls and send national TXTs, plus use my 3GB standard data, and the bonus weekend data...

:-D

I'm not sure whether Telstra / Boost would let me into minus. If, that's a case for our friend, the Telco Ombudsman... ( a friend of mine calls him the OZ-budz-man... ;-) )

08-14-16 04:25 PM
    I am aware that it isn't about roaming, I just don't want to risk more than the max. 30€ that I have on my pre-payed Flatrate. My Carrier only have my email address and I reload in cash at the supermarket, negative balance is not possible with my account.

Thanks for the info and I wish you all the best with your claim.

PS: I recently also visited a tech site and there where also strange pop ups with Javascript, the first time I click it away because most virus are not made for BB10, but the second time I just close the browser. I'm sure this could have been an attack like you mentioned.
    I know that all UK pre-paid operators do allow for a negative balance, so this could be really bad for pre-paid customers over here.

Keep in mind that this isn't any type of virus nor malicious software. It's basically a page with Javascript code which is designed to auto-click a button. If direct-to-bill carrier payments are available in your area, then this type of scam is possible.

I'm on a month-to-month prepaid "plan", no contract.

Basically, I recharge $40 on Boost to get my "UNLTD." entitlement, then my prepaid balance instantly drops to $0, and I can make unlimited calls and send national TXTs, plus use my 3GB standard data, and the bonus weekend data...

I'm not sure whether Telstra / Boost would let me into minus. If, that's a case for our friend, the Telco Ombudsman... ( a friend of mine calls him the OZ-budz-man... ;-)
    There's a good chance that if you cannot normally get a negative balance, this type of scam could "force" your pre-paid account into a negative balance. That's how it works over here in the UK. Some operators will willingly allow you to have a negative balance (within limits) but this type of scam can get you negative balance, even if you've specifically requested not to have this option. Furthermore, any negative balance limits imposed by your carrier do not apply to fraudulent payments made via this scam.

Do you think that in my case, it's worth getting the Ombudsman services involved? I still haven't got my money back.
    08-14-16 05:07 PM
    UK users beware! Operator run charge-to-bill SCAM affecting 3G/4G browsing on Friday nights-img_20160815_145459.png

08-14-16 11:55 PM
    Thank you very much for your input. I hate the way Three have dealt with this, they've basically said "it was initiated from your device, therefore you requested it. So suck it!". Operators should have a duty of care, and protect their customers against fraud, but in the UK they don't care. I feel like this direct-to-bill PayforIT service has been set up exclusively with the intention to scam customers. They think they've heard the last of me?!

If this was my credit card, It'd just take one phone call and the card would be frozen and the fraudulent charges would be cancelled.

But my phone is NOT a credit card! And I don't want it to be. I already have a credit card which I've foolishly maxxed, so I really don't need to be dealing with this!

Right now, I'm on holiday in Fuerteventura, so I can't do anything about this right now. I was expecting calls today from Three and Tapvids/TxtNation, and although I've enabled ALL roaming (calls, texts and data), neither of them have contacted me. Not that I was actually expecting them to!

When I return to the UK, I'll give Three and Tapvids/TxtNation one final chance, otherwise I will get Ombudsman services involved.
    Last edited by Someone7272; 08-15-16 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Grammar error
    08-15-16 05:29 PM
    I agree that this merits the Ombudsman's attention. It's not the amount of your loss that matters, but the method by which your money was stolen from you. Any unauthorized withdrawal of your money is a theft, and this one is perpetrated with tacit approval of the carriers (who may be getting a kickback from the scammers).

Does the UK have a regulator that allows telecom companies to operate? If so, you should approach them as well.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    08-16-16 11:57 PM
    All hats off to the OZbudsman... he saved my bacon from Dodo once... !

08-17-16 07:36 AM
    I agree that this merits the Ombudsman's attention. It's not the amount of your loss that matters, but the method by which your money was stolen from you. Any unauthorized withdrawal of your money is a theft, and this one is perpetrated with tacit approval of the carriers (who may be getting a kickback from the scammers).

Does the UK have a regulator that allows telecom companies to operate? If so, you should approach them as well.
    The regulator in the UK is PhonepayPlus. But I've already contacted them and they've launched an ongoing investigation about this.
    All hats off to the OZbudsman... he saved my bacon from Dodo once... !
    It looks like this is now my only option. I had an hour long phone call with Three yesterday, I recorded the entire thing for good measure (with their permission, of course), but they insist that there's no more that they can do. I requested a deadlock letter, but they wouldn't send me one, saying that they don't send these out "for this type of complaint".

I will ring The Ombudsman Service tomorrow and register my complaint. Hopefully, they will consider the complaint, and charge Three purely because a complaint has been made against them. Hope it hurts them.

Won't have a mobile provider after the 5th September, so this is gonna hurt me bad.
    08-22-16 07:57 PM
    This happened to me too. I asked "Three UK" (mobile operator) about in on a post on their Facebook page. I would post pictures here but I can't see how to do it in this forum.

This was the conversation:

(Me)
    Three what can I do about this?

I just got a text saying I subscribed to these people like the women in the article:

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ights-1081977/

Three UK, responded:

"Hi Ryan, sorry to hear you've been subscribed to something you're unaware of. Can you please text 'STOP' to the number in the text and let us know how you get on >Lauren C".

Me:

"Thanks.

I read on the internet that other people have texted stop and they've been charged �5 for the text.

How can I check if I will be charged?"

Three UK, responded:

"Unfortunately we can't say for sure, Kevin. We don't charge you for these services, so any charges that'd be applied would be decided by the company themselves.

If you'd like to check if you're going to be charged for the text, we'd suggest getting in touch with the company directly or checking their website for any pricing information. >Ian"

(Me)
    "Thanks,

I don't know who the company is though. How can I find out?

What had happened was, I looked at a webpage about "Free Movies." A pop up came that said "[Cancel] and [OK]" and nothing else. I clicked cancel and then a text came through saying thanks for subscribing for �4.50 a week. I can't get through to the site now though. It won't appear on my screen.

I looked at my Bill since, and it appears there's another company that has been charging me too."

Three UK, responded:

"Is there a 6 digit number attached to the text message you've received? If so, you can check the company details by entering the shortcode here, Shortcodes. - Text messages - Calls, email & messaging - Support - Three. We hope this helps >Vicki"

(Me)
    "Yes this was it here.

I'll put the number in."

(Attach green picture)
    I'll put the number in
    (picture online lookup charge)

(Me)
    "After I searched the helpline number in Google it came up as Txtnation"
    (Attach pic)

Three UK, responded:

"The company may have subsidiaries, so we'd recommend calling the helpline number in the text, as they'll be able to advise you if you're being charged. If you want to launch an investigation into what happened, we'd urge you to contact PhonepayPlus as they're the regulations for the industry and will be able to carry out an investigation PhonepayPlus - The UK regulatory body for premium rate services - PhonepayPlus
    . We'll do our best to provide you any information you may need during this process >Kimberley"

(Me)
    "Thanks Three,

Yes I think I'll do that but they don't answer the phone according to one person that left a review on their Facebook page. Surprising seen as they have �15,000,000 in the Bank (company info link below� "worth").

So many people on the internet are reporting that they have been scammed/tricked by them. One person reported that they have a business contract with EE.

And yes, there are many subsidiary companies linked to them. In particular "Surash Patel" whose closed companies are being reported to be years over due for tax files.

You can see the companies at the links here:

Ownership:

Mgage Europe Limited - Company Information - Endole

Linkedin:

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/surashpatel

Facebook page (see reviews):

https://facebook.com/MGage-a-Vivial-...0912212024928/ "

Three UK, responded:

"That would be the best thing to do. As Kimberley mentioned, if you need any further information at all, please let us know and we'll do our best to get it for you. >Lucy "

(Me)
    "Thank you,

Given the confusing nature of the multiple company names and services, I am unable to ascertain whether texting "STOP" would incur a �5 charge as others have reported on the internet forums.

Could you please find out if texting that number will incur a charge?

I'd also like to formally declare as a Three customer that these services and companies are rogue. I request as a duty of care to myself and other "Three" customers that "Three" look into this as soon as possible and do their utmost to block all services from them and their subsidiaries and individuals connected to them, on all the UK telecommunication networks."

*Another Facebook profile made the comment:

"I'm having the same issue and same company."*

No reply came from him when I asked what he had done about it.

I said to "Three UK" (mobile operator)

This is fraud can you not help is with this? Three has facilitated the charge.

No reply came and that was several hours ago. I called Three and they said to call back tomorrow between 9 A.M & 5 P.M and they will initiate a "Three way call" with the companies in question.

I hope this has helped. I will endeavor to report back on my results.

The shortcode number was 64055.
    The Helpline number given in the text came up as belonging to TxtNation.
    09-13-16 05:53 PM
    I said I'd report back, here I am !

I made an online complaint to "PhonePayPlus".

I called Three UK for the Three way telephone call that Three UK had suggested.

The first person at three was very helpful. In fact, they all were quite well meaning. Yet, after being first contact with Three, I was told by the customer service representative:

(Approximately):
    "Stay on the line, I will be listening as you talk to the Third party. I won't be able to talk, but stay on the line when your call with them has ended and I will come on the line to talk with you about the results."

I was on hold for a little while and then the phone started ringing. I person answered from "PhonePayPlus" whom is a the regulator I previously mentioned.

I thought that perhaps the Three customer service representative had tried patching me through to the Third party company with no luck, and so put me through to make a complaint to PhonePayPlus.

So, I went through the details of what had happened and how I came about to be talking to the advisor. I also advised that the person from Three is listening in the background (as far as I knew).

To break a long conversation down:

They advised me that TxtNation own the phone number that I was texted from. She gave an email address, one of TxtNations email address'.. which was given to me as: [email protected] .

She advised emailing TxtNation with details of my phone number, and the number I was texted from.

She advised me to ask:

1. How I came to be subscribed to the service.

2. How I may obtain a refund.

3. Proof of me actually having subscribed to the service.

She said to wait two business days and if I hear nothing, get back to PhonePayPlus.

At the end of the call, I said I need to hold the line so the person from Three comes back on. She said "I don't think they're there."

Which she was right about.

So, I called back Three UK and got through after listening to some music and putting all my details in again, and answering the security questions. AND after explaining the whole situation again, (plus another query I had regarding a charge) the very nice man said pretty much the same thing as his previous colleague.

He put us through to TxtNation.

A person named "Beverly" at TxtNation came on the line. The man from Three explained the situation, she asked to speak to me.
    I gave her my details. She said "You will get a text confirming your unsubscription" and hung up the phone.

The man from Three was quite taken aback as was I.

We talked, he asked if he could help me further. I said, yes, as they didn't mention a refund at TxtNation. He said, let's call back.

I mentioned the other charge I wanted to talk about with regards to my account and said that, ~"If its the same company that's involved in the other charge, it might be best to check that first so we don't have to call TxtNation separately again."

For some reason, he did agree but then for some other reason the phone just started ringing at TxtNation again. The same person answered. I explained that I'd like to know about a refund and that no text had come through just yet notifying me of their "unsubscription" action.

"Beverly" at TxtNation then asked for my phone number. I said, well surely you must have it seen as I just spoke to you, gave you the number and am expecting a text from you.

Oh yes, what was your name again, (she said).

Argh. Anyway, she said I'd get a call in a couple of days, which I doubt.

The call ended. No person from Three UK was on the line. Just a dead line.

So, I was so annoyed, that I hadn't tried to record all these calls. I really wished I had the whole thing recorded. It was so ridiculous. I decided to call Three back YET AGAIN. But, before I did, I downloaded some call recording software. The first I tried didn't work (I tested it first on my voicemail) so, I did some Googling and testing and finally found one that worked.

I called Three back.

Got cut off from the queue.

I called back again. Waited for quite some time.

Got through. All the same rigmarole again. She said she doesn't know why her colleagues put me though to TxtNation ! She said its not much to do with them !

She was very helpful though. She also informed me I was due for "an upgrade."

I don't have the energy to type the whole thing so here it is on YouTube. Yes, I had to make an MP4 video and sign up and everything.

The salesman regarding the upgrade can be heard at the end. He doesn't think much of "GiffGaff" which you can hear him talk about. I edited the length of the audio from over an hour to something shorter that omits my personal information and all the music while on hold and waiting to talk to someone.

Here is the YouTube link:

Also please find attached relevant screenshots.

I'm really upset about the whole thing and not even sure if I've spoken to the right people. I did receive a message from TxtNation later, that said I had been unsubscribed from services.

Whether that means all services they can find on the system to purge me somehow� I don't know, as they didn't give details of which services they unsubscribed me from.

I have two more companies to chase up tomorrow about other charges I've just noticed on my account. Time now: 03.57 A.M.

Entry on Sun 18th September 2016:

I was advised to run a cURL test on the site to see what code is running on the webpage that I think originated the Billing request. Here is a link to a post on this page which has the cURL report.

Please do not click on any link within the report in case it takes you to an external site.

Here is the G+ link to the code that has been found so far:
    Could someone that is careful and knowledgeable please help locate the potentially offending code? Or offer any other suggestions.

Help is very much appreciated:

https://plus.google.com/112501263028...ts/3Phj6pxBj89
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    09-18-16 12:25 PM
    This is horrific. They want to wear you down and just keep the cash. Small as it is fro each individual it stacks up quickly.

Good on those who fight this bull snot.

Great good luck.
    09-18-16 02:39 PM
    This is a dreadful business!!

Hopefully the investigators will stop this mob from doing what they're doing. And who knows what country it's actually being run from!

--Classic, 9700, Playbook, flip - posted using crackberry app --
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-18-16 04:26 PM
    Similar but different scam here in the US involving ringtones. Or at least there used to be.
    09-18-16 04:28 PM
30 12