Interesting article with visualisations here: Mobile phone ownership in the UK.
    Blackberry very popular with teens (by far the most popular brand) but almost halves by the time people get to mid 20s.
    08-04-11 10:08 AM
    Teens get BlackBerrys so they can talk to their mates on BBM, on the way to school.

20 somethings buy iphones, becuase they can show off the crapps to their mates in pubs..

My sister turns 12 in a few weeks, she wants a BlackBerry too.
    08-04-11 10:31 AM
    Yeah. Seemed ironic to me that what was once the market leader for business users is now a teen device. In the past, BBs were deemed too expensive for kids, now it's turned full circle.
    08-04-11 10:58 AM
    Teens get BlackBerrys so they can talk to their mates on BBM, on the way to school.

20 somethings buy iphones, becuase they can show off the crapps to their mates in pubs..

My sister turns 12 in a few weeks, she wants a BlackBerry too.
    I 100% agree with this statement, plus the Curve models are affordable, as opposed to the iPhone and such.
    08-04-11 12:47 PM
    Yeah. Seemed ironic to me that what was once the market leader for business users is now a teen device. In the past, BBs were deemed too expensive for kids, now it's turned full circle.
    The curve models are sold on prepaid data tariffs in the uk so that factor in combination with things like bbm are why blackberry have made such inroads into a non-business user demographic.
    08-05-11 10:48 AM
    BB's more popular among teenaged girls whereas boys prefer iphones. That'll change soon... when the guys want to pickup
    08-05-11 11:40 AM
    BB's more popular among teenaged girls whereas boys prefer iphones. That'll change soon... when the guys want to pickup
    It's games vs talking

Teen age boys want to compete with eachother playing games, Enter LARGE app store
    teen age girls want to talk to eachother as fast as their fingers can go! Enter BBM

I think RIM is addressing the games and competition component with the latest crop of blackberry's
    and Apple is addressing the talking to eachother with iMessage,
    will be fun to see who wins in the fickle world of teenage social interaction.
    08-05-11 11:44 AM
    for a while I think the bb will win, because a lot of those teens are stuck with their 2 year contract
    08-05-11 12:07 PM
    for a while I think the bb will win, because a lot of those teens are stuck with their 2 year contract
    I think it will have more to do with the Prepaid plans that allow the kids to have BBM and SMS on the ultra cheap and devices that are low cost, that will keep BlackBerry Relevant for that much longer over the contract lock ins

since in the UK contract lock ins usually seem to take out the upfront cost of the phone. making the price point of the iPhone more within grasp. I'd suspect the bulk of iPhone users are locked into contracts, more so than the bulk of the BlackBerry users
    08-05-11 12:17 PM
    didn't think about the prepaids plans, the last time I looked seriously into phone plans there was only prepaid for calling, it's much different these days , you could be right.
    08-05-11 01:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD