10-04-16 10:12 AM
63 123
tools
    The fact that they don't even have Google Play-services pre-installed is quite interesting. I would love to know how they handle things when it comes to apps and what do they use. It also has to do with the main apps being blocked there, so they've to live with what they got.
    Weibo is a massive thing over there and fills that void that GPS would normally fill.
    10-03-16 10:07 AM
    Weibo is a massive thing over there and fills that void that GPS would normally fill.
    Yeah I've heard about it. That's quite smart actually, that someone was able to exploit the absence of very popular apps and offer a solution that became satisfying enough. If BlackBerry would've been able to do that with BBM and offer it multi-platform, then some people might have tolerated to some extent, the lack of apps. But still western market is heavily dependent on FB, Twitter, etc... So its a hard one to pull off. They had the main apps blocked so it helped.
    10-03-16 10:11 AM
    Well Chinese market is huge. But a few million for the west plus governments may be (did not sound logical Chinese and Western Governments) produced. Chinese can get bb10 and make it colossal. Other apps must release since market is big. Apart from Google.
    10-03-16 10:12 AM
    I think you mean Baidu. Weibo is the equivalent of Facebook-Twitter. Baidu is the Google of China.
    10-03-16 10:12 AM
    It could be a smart move. I don't know. Chinese need their own operating system to get rid of Google and Apple for good.
    10-03-16 10:13 AM
    As I have mentioned in other threads, 1.4 Billion people seem to get along very well without Google Play Services. They just have their own version in Baidu.

edit: in many ways, Baidu is even more integrated into society than Google is here. If you buy a movie ticket on Baidu, they are integrated with movie theatres themselves and you can even select a seat, for instance.
    10-03-16 10:14 AM
    Both of them, Weibo + Baidu offer a great replacement for the western apps. Even Google is not doing very well Vs Baidu there, although its search engine is available.
    10-03-16 10:15 AM
    Thorsten should have gone to China for the OS. Maybe he went.
    10-03-16 10:20 AM
    As I have mentioned in other threads, 1.4 Billion people seem to get along very well without Google Play Services. They just have their own version in Baidu.

edit: in many ways, Baidu is even more integrated into society than Google is here. If you buy a movie ticket on Baidu, they are integrated with movie theatres themselves and you can even select a seat, for instance.
    If the Chinese go all in on western markets in Tech, they would give the already established players a hell of a hard time. They've many great things to offer but its only available in China. However, this is starting to change slowly and we're seeing more and more of their products.
    10-03-16 10:25 AM
    If the Chinese go all in on western markets in Tech, they would give the already established players a hell of hard time.
    This thread has really gone off topic, but I'll just continue with the assertion that yes they could BUT there is a great deal of mistrust in western markets over anything tech related from China. Handsets from Chinese manufacturers are still reluctantly being accepted by North Americans for instance.
    Sairos likes this.
    10-03-16 10:30 AM
    I think you mean Baidu. Weibo is the equivalent of Facebook-Twitter. Baidu is the Google of China.
    Nah i'm sure it's weibu? its the social network that everyone uses that does everything! payments etc
    10-04-16 02:38 AM
    [QUOTE=darkehawke;12613790]Nah i'm sure it's weibu? its the social network that everyone uses that does everything! payments etc[/QUOT

There are several 3rd party pay apps in China, including Weibo which is huge. My wife tells me that Alipay and Wechat are now the most used (not sure about her correctness but I must agree). Alipay, is of course, Alibaba and Wechat is Tencent. When we are in China, we use Wechat for almost all our payments. When I mentioned Baidu, I was doing so in the context of a Google Play Store equivalent although Baidu also has a 3rd party pay system called Youa.
    10-04-16 09:10 AM
    Many good developers made apps for blackberry world. You shouldn't call their work garbage.
    Yeah. I still use a lot of them.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 10:12 AM
63 123