So which big app is missing? Amazon does have big names I believe.
    Not about missing apps really. Amazon could have all the apps in the world, doesn't mean they work right on the Android Runtime. In any case, Amazon/Developers also block a lot of apps from BlackBerry use because they know the experience sucks, so even if it's on the Amazon app store, it's not downloadable.
    10-01-16 04:35 PM
    Not about missing apps really. Amazon could have all the apps in the world, doesn't mean they work right on the Android Runtime. In any case, Amazon/Developers also block a lot of apps from BlackBerry use because they know the experience sucks, so even if it's on the Amazon app store, it's not downloadable.
    I get it. Too bad.
    10-01-16 04:39 PM
    On another note, notice how he said in the BNN interview that an in-house PKB device may be released. He was extremely vague about it. He gave the impression it may be released next year or after 5 years. A few days later he decides to say that he is testing it. Continuous blunders. Sometimes I feel he acts like a child, well, most of the times actually.
    Don't you see? He's intentionally giving the middle finger to BlackBerry fans by flaunting the new device...

Seriously though, there's nothing inconsistent here. BlackBerry must have built the device and Chen has one. Whether it gets released or not may depend on whether BlackBerry can get a financial partner willing to foot the manufacturing costs or not. BlackBerry probably isn't willing to spend the money themselves.

It would be interesting if BlackBerry were to put up a Kickstarter campaign and see if they actually meet the funding goal. If not, we'll know for sure that not enough people are interested in a PKB Android from BlackBerry.
    10-01-16 07:05 PM
    After Chen gutted blackberry world and started selling phones with the amazon app store pre-installed, the fate of all bb10 devices was sealed.
    Too bad that's a poor characterization of what happened. When Chen arrived, consumers complained that there weren't enough apps on BB10. BlackBerry had already tried to woo top developers. Most weren't interested. Some were even hostile to the idea. BB10 could already sideload Android apps. Chen negotiated with Amazon and gained an official way to get Android apps for BB10 users.
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-01-16 07:15 PM
    After Chen gutted blackberry world and started selling phones with the amazon app store pre-installed, the fate of all bb10 devices was sealed.

Posted via CB10
    There was nothing to gut. Blackberry World was a wasteland. Filled with garbage. At launch, when Blackberry said they had 70K apps, they failed to mention that 25K of those apps were useless street guides all dumped in by the same developer.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and TgeekB like this.
    10-01-16 08:20 PM
    There was nothing to gut. Blackberry World was a wasteland. Filled with garbage. At launch, when Blackberry said they had 70K apps, they failed to mention that 25K of those apps were useless street guides all dumped in by the same developer.
    Many good developers made apps for blackberry world. You shouldn't call their work garbage.
    10-01-16 08:28 PM
    Just a slight exaggeration.
    10-02-16 12:13 AM
    Just a slight exaggeration.
    Which part? The garbage part or the 25k junk apps part? The 25K junk apps part is fact.
    10-02-16 05:29 AM
    they failed to mention that 25K of those apps were useless street guides all dumped in by the same developer.
    Hats off for these developers for taking the time to support what they like. At least they took it to the next level and contributed something, even if it won't really matter you know.
    10-02-16 05:09 PM
    Hats off for these developers for taking the time to support what they like. At least they took it to the next level and contributed something, even if it won't really matter you know.
    Lol yeah, hats off to them to spamming the app store with junk. At one time they had two thirds of the app store apps. At launch, they had 47,000 apps of Blackberry world's 70000 apps. Shortly thereafter they had over 200,000 apps in app world, because BB didn't have a proper checks and balances for apps being submitted and they wrote a program that would just dump garbage into the app store automatically without them having to do anything.
    10-03-16 03:14 AM
    So which big app is missing? Amazon does have big names I believe.
    Some. But not a lot

It's just as barren as BB World was.
    Might have something to do with Amazon T&Cs
    10-03-16 08:46 AM
    The only good thing about that was that it ended the ridiculous argument that was going on here.

You know the one from BBOS!
    "BB World is full of quality apps, we dont need 100k apps if 20k of them are fart apps, we'd rather have 50k useful apps"

And then BB10 came and that argument continued until that bombshell hit and the argument went away never to be seen again
    10-03-16 08:52 AM
    Just BB10 for daily use is not very logical then.
    10-03-16 08:53 AM
    Lol yeah, hats off to them to spamming the app store with junk. At one time they had two thirds of the app store apps. At launch, they had 47,000 apps of Blackberry world's 70000 apps. Shortly thereafter they had over 200,000 apps in app world, because BB didn't have a proper checks and balances for apps being submitted and they wrote a program that would just dump garbage into the app store automatically without them having to do anything.
    Well, to be honest with you, I don't have a BB10 device so I can't judge how the apps are. I was certain they would be meh since its not big developers or apps companies. I read a few articles about BB10 developers who develop many apps, thought its a good effort.

47k is a lot of apps though, if every one of them spends his time on just a few, the end product would be good. They can even take it to Android & iOS if its a very good app. Another solution for them would be to form some sort of BB10 developers group that work together on a few apps so they would be really something. Anyway, all too late and won't help anyway.
    10-03-16 09:02 AM
    The only good thing about that was that it ended the ridiculous argument that was going on here.

You know the one from BBOS!
    "BB World is full of quality apps, we dont need 100k apps if 20k of them are fart apps, we'd rather have 50k useful apps"

And then BB10 came and that argument continued until that bombshell hit and the argument went away never to be seen again
    That I can speak about, I had a BBOS device, the apps were crap. We only cared about texting, emails and the most important apps generally. But to say the overall state of the app store is something special is a reach.
    10-03-16 09:03 AM
    That I can speak about, I had a BBOS device, the apps were crap. We only cared about texting, emails and the most important apps generally. But to say the overall state of the app store is something special is a reach.
    Haven't you just done that about BB World?
    There were some great apps on there! Advanced OS!

BB10 App store had some great apps, and it had a load of crap too.
    I dont think anyone is saying all of the apps were crap, but the overall state of the store was crap. More rubbish than gems
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-03-16 09:13 AM
    I dont think anyone is saying all of the apps were crap, but the overall state of the store was crap. More rubbish than gems
    Exactly, that's what I meant. It was no PlayStore or App Store. Good times anyway, wouldn't have traded the device for any other phone back then, so that's all that mattered.
    10-03-16 09:16 AM

Exactly, that's what I meant. It was no PlayStore or App Store. Good times anyway, wouldn't have traded the device for any other phone back then, so that's all that mattered.
    Ha The Torch 2 still is one of my favourite phone experiences ever.
    Sairos likes this.
    10-03-16 09:20 AM
    Bb10 should have the must 50 apps. All of them being banks, social networking and shopping. The rest is not that important.
    10-03-16 09:48 AM
    Banks
    All the big names.
    Local ones would jump ship.

Shopping
    Amazon
    Ebay
    And big local names.

Social
    Instagram
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Pinterest
    Snapchat
    Whatsapp
    LinkedIn
    Flipboard
    Tapatalk

Extra
    Playstation
    Nokia Here Maps
    Airlines (Lufthansa, Turkish Airlines etc)
    Booking.com
    Uber
    AirBnB
    A good travel wallet app (for boarding passes, even Google does not have one)
    Google Drive
    10-03-16 09:54 AM
    I thought the list would be longer. It is not. Guess I am an easy guy.

Would anyone complain too much and leave if these apps were available?

I don't think so.
    10-03-16 09:55 AM
    I thought the list would be longer. It is not. Guess I am an easy guy.
    If they had even half of that, indeed they would be appealing devices to many people.
    10-03-16 09:56 AM
    If they had even half of that, indeed they would be appealing devices to many people.
    Maybe Chinese oems are OK with Bb10 since the app selection there is pretty different from the west. Be it Baidu, weibo, line and such. We should think outside the box.
    Last edited by ardakca; 10-03-16 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Addition of Baidu
    10-03-16 09:57 AM
    Maybe Chinese oems are OK with Bb10 since the app selection there is pretty different from the west. Be it weibo, line and such. We should think outside the box.
    The fact that they don't even have Google Play-services pre-installed is quite interesting. I would love to know how they handle things when it comes to apps and what do they use. It also has to do with the main apps being blocked there, so they've to live with what they got.
    10-03-16 10:02 AM
    Maybe Chinese oems are OK with Bb10 since the app selection there is pretty different from the west. Be it weibo, line and such. We should think outside the box.
    Yeah but i read an interesting article about the Chinese internet and apps, and works over there would not work over here due to the way the internet is regulated over there or something.
    It basically said companies in China either chase the western market or the local market but never both

Hmm apart from the banking apps and youtube, I dont really use apps that much.
    BB10 would have had to go a long way to convince me that their contacts app was fixed though. That was one of the main reasons I left lol
    10-03-16 10:04 AM
63 123