"The BlackBerry Passport was a pretty unique device in terms of its design and its features. It was also the last time we saw BlackBerry launch a BlackBerry 10 smartphone before transitioning to Android with the BlackBerry Priv. However we’re sure some of you guys might be wondering, why didn’t BlackBerry just build an Android version of the Passport?

There have been rumors in the past that BlackBerry could be working on such a device, but obviously it never saw the light of day. So were the rumors wrong or was there another reason? According to the folks at MobileSyrup, there is a good explanation as to why there isn’t an Android BlackBerry Passport, and it boils down to the Passport’s unique design.

The Passport features a 1:1 ratio for its screen, and according to the Android Compatibility Certification Document, it requires that Android devices sport a display with a ratio of 4:3 or 16:9. However the report goes on to claim that Google was willing to make an exception for BlackBerry, and apparently worked together with the Canadian company to make Google’s Android apps compatible with the 1:1 display.

However ultimately both companies came to realize that the amount of time and effort that went in just to tweak Google Play Services just for a single handset was not worth it, and thus the project was scrapped. MobileSyrup notes that there were other factors involved, but this is one of the main ones."

This Is Why There Wasn?t An Android Version Of The BlackBerry Passport

Well, Google turned out to be a loving & caring company, they were willing to make an exception.
    09-30-16 05:43 PM
    This has already been discussed in another thread.
    09-30-16 06:16 PM
    I'd like an Android passport.
    09-30-16 06:29 PM
    "The BlackBerry Passport was a pretty unique device in terms of its design and its features. It was also the last time we saw BlackBerry launch a BlackBerry 10 smartphone before transitioning to Android with the BlackBerry Priv. However we�re sure some of you guys might be wondering, why didn�t BlackBerry just build an Android version of the Passport?

There have been rumors in the past that BlackBerry could be working on such a device, but obviously it never saw the light of day. So were the rumors wrong or was there another reason? According to the folks at MobileSyrup, there is a good explanation as to why there isn�t an Android BlackBerry Passport, and it boils down to the Passport�s unique design.

The Passport features a 1:1 ratio for its screen, and according to the Android Compatibility Certification Document, it requires that Android devices sport a display with a ratio of 4:3 or 16:9. However the report goes on to claim that Google was willing to make an exception for BlackBerry, and apparently worked together with the Canadian company to make Google�s Android apps compatible with the 1:1 display.

However ultimately both companies came to realize that the amount of time and effort that went in just to tweak Google Play Services just for a single handset was not worth it, and thus the project was scrapped. MobileSyrup notes that there were other factors involved, but this is one of the main ones."

This Is Why There Wasn?t An Android Version Of The BlackBerry Passport

Well, Google turned out to be a loving & caring company, they were willing to make an exception.
    If Google was willing and BB started it should have insisted it completed (even threaten to pull BBAndy if Google were stalling), like BBOS, BB10,PB just throw the towel in....
    09-30-16 07:13 PM
    This has already been discussed in another thread - V1.
    This has already been discussed in another thread - V1.2.
    You felt the need to say it twice? One time was enough xD.. I did my very best to search for all the keywords to find a matching thread but came up with nothing. I'm sure the mods will take care of it.

Wait, this is just like the iPhone, did you remove a dot in the 2nd one?
    09-30-16 10:37 PM
    I don't know how the double post happened. I found the discussion I was referring to in the The Android Passport has Arrived! thread, although looks like it was a very similar, but different article that is first mentioned in Post #140 by Amritv: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...45/index6.html

Here's a link to the other article: http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/09/27/wh...ered-passport/
    Last edited by BB-JAM215; 09-30-16 at 11:29 PM.
    09-30-16 11:15 PM
    I don't know how the double post happened. I found the discussion I was referring to in the The Android Passport has Arrived! thread, although looks like it was a very similar, but different article that is first mentioned in Post #140 by Amritv: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...45/index6.html

Here's a link to the other article: http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/09/27/wh...ered-passport/
    Oh I know about this thread but of course I didn't read every post. It would've been better if he posted it as a thread so people would know why.

The topic certainly merits its own thread. Lots of people, me included, were wondering about this. I actually read quite a few articles that stressed the fact that BB should've chosen the passport as its first android device due to it's uniqueness.

Its also interesting to see Google bending their rules for BlackBerry. They've been quite cooperative with BB in their secure Android adventure.

Too bad it didn't happen, it had much better odds in saving the hardware due to the fact that the Passport was released since quite a while.
    10-01-16 12:29 AM
    If Google was willing and BB started it should have insisted it completed (even threaten to pull BBAndy if Google were stalling), like BBOS, BB10,PB just throw the towel in....
    I would argue its BlackBerry who gave up the whole thing more than Google.

I don't see Google agreeing to bend the rules only then to say: Oh that's too much work guys, what about we say F it and you go bankrupt instead xD?

Utterly stupid from BlackBerry if that was the case. It may have been the right move to bring back the brand to relevance.
    10-01-16 12:37 AM
    If the Passport had done better in sales as a BB10 device, it would have had more of a chance as BlackBerry's first Andriod device. But so much was changing so fast at BlackBerry, and with the number of different devices being considered, there were bound to be casualties.
    10-01-16 12:52 AM
    I'd love to buy android Passport

posted via the last true BlackBerry
    10-01-16 12:56 AM
    I'd love to buy android Passport

Yeah that was a golden chance. Hopefully they fire up the mercury. It's designed in-house so I'm sure it's dazzling. I was anxiously waiting for that device.
    10-01-16 01:05 AM
    As for Mercury, there was a Financial Post article today about BlackBerry: 'The one with the keyboard, I guess it’s kind of resting in my office… I’m testing it right now,” Chen said. ... But an enigmatic Chen refused to go into details of when, or if, BlackBerry intends to release this phone to the market.'

See: BlackBerry CEO mulls release of one last in-house designed handset | Financial Post
    Last edited by BB-JAM215; 10-01-16 at 09:54 AM.
    10-01-16 01:20 AM
    Well I talked to a couple of insiders. They say they all held the testing device a couple of days ago. And it will be available in Jan.
    10-01-16 01:49 AM
    ...The Passport features a 1:1 ratio for its screen, and according to the Android Compatibility Certification Document, it requires that Android devices sport a display with a ratio of 4:3 or 16:9. However ... Google was willing to make an exception for BlackBerry, and apparently worked together with the Canadian company to make Google�s Android apps compatible with the 1:1 display.

However ultimately both companies came to realize that the amount of time and effort that went in just to tweak Google Play Services ... was not worth it,....
    As a software engineer, I refuse to believe it. Because it would prove that Android is a c r a p p y OS, with cr... vision, cr... prequisities, requirements, specification, and implementation.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    10-01-16 02:18 AM
    Well I talked to a couple of insiders. They say they all held the testing device a couple of days ago. And it will be available in Jan.
    Brilliant. I hope it happens. Goes in line with the early 2017 release rumors. Thanks for sharing!
    10-01-16 02:26 AM
    As for Mercury, the was a Financial Post article today about BlackBerry: 'The one with the keyboard, I guess it�s kind of resting in my office� I�m testing it right now,� Chen said. ... But an enigmatic Chen refused to go into details of when, or if, BlackBerry intends to release this phone to the market.'

See: BlackBerry CEO mulls release of one last in-house designed handset | Financial Post
    Whoa thanks for sharing

10-01-16 02:35 AM
    As for Mercury, the was a Financial Post article today about BlackBerry: 'The one with the keyboard, I guess it�s kind of resting in my office� I�m testing it right now,� Chen said. ... But an enigmatic Chen refused to go into details of when, or if, BlackBerry intends to release this phone to the market.'

Yes, its good you brought it here. Should've been home page news. I first saw it in a thread about BB's CEO playing with a new device. Why did they give it to Chen for testing though? Horrible idea xD.

He, the legendary Chen, once released a phone because people told him we want a $400 phone. I guess they lied to him. Or maybe he lied to them and didn't tell them it will be rebranded and with a bad battery xD.

On another note, notice how he said in the BNN interview that an in-house PKB device may be released. He was extremely vague about it. He gave the impression it may be released next year or after 5 years. A few days later he decides to say that he is testing it. Continuous blunders. Sometimes I feel he acts like a child, well, most of the times actually.

I once said in a post long before the earnings call that the device will be released anyway whether they're profitable by Sep or not. Why? Simply because Thurber said on FB it's "coming soon", this was back when the DTEK50 was released. Even if they were to be profitable, he couldn't have had a magic ball to see it. They always had the Mercury in their mind and so hopefully they go with it.
    10-01-16 02:52 AM
    I am so confused and sad by the demise of Blackberry. That really is what it is. Try finding support online for Link, or BB10, at the Blackberry web site and there is nothing, so hearing about them mulling over a new phone is making me feel like a cow in a carousel. Just keep looking at the nice picture everyone, everything is alright, what a nice new ph... bang, bolt to the head.

Sorry, as I try to backup my z30 and link will not recognize it, and bb website is useless, I am feeling very down by the whole series of events over the last 4 years.

My question is this. If they are not producing any new phones, how long, or why would they, continue providing updates for the Android phones? The mobile division is dead. Yes, the new JV in Indonesia will produce, but only for their market, and how does that benefit anyone here? Will DTek 50 and 60 users get updated software anymore?

Would you buy a new phone from a company that said it will not produce them anymore?
    10-01-16 07:13 AM
    If the Passport had done better in sales as a BB10 device, it would have had more of a chance as BlackBerry's first Andriod device. But so much was changing so fast at BlackBerry, and with the number of different devices being considered, there were bound to be casualties.
    After Chen gutted blackberry world and started selling phones with the amazon app store pre-installed, the fate of all bb10 devices was sealed.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-16 08:38 AM
    I am so confused and sad by the demise of Blackberry. That really is what it is. Try finding support online for Link, or BB10, at the Blackberry web site and there is nothing, so hearing about them mulling over a new phone is making me feel like a cow in a carousel. Just keep looking at the nice picture everyone, everything is alright, what a nice new ph... bang, bolt to the head.

Sorry, as I try to backup my z30 and link will not recognize it, and bb website is useless, I am feeling very down by the whole series of events over the last 4 years.

My question is this. If they are not producing any new phones, how long, or why would they, continue providing updates for the Android phones? The mobile division is dead. Yes, the new JV in Indonesia will produce, but only for their market, and how does that benefit anyone here? Will DTek 50 and 60 users get updated software anymore?

Would you buy a new phone from a company that said it will not produce them anymore?
    BlackBerry would still give you security updates for quite a long time. When it comes to OS updates in android, maybe when each phone completes a 2 years span. Most companies go for a 2 yrs commitment to OS updates, So I wouldn't expect OS updates beyond the normal span. This is the norm even for Samsung, Google, HTC, etc...

I would still buy their devices, specially the android ones. Because remember that they're a software company now and they will license their secure android to hardware manufacturers. So they support the software as long as there are devices being sold with that soft. They'll keep doing the software even if they're not making the hardware. Also you will still see a lot of apps getting updated. But OS updates beyond the normal span doesn't happen.
    10-01-16 09:30 AM
    I don't own bb 10 devices. Is the amazon app store still operational?
    10-01-16 09:50 AM
    Yes.
    10-01-16 10:08 AM
    What a shame. Would have bought.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    10-01-16 03:54 PM
    Yes it is.
    10-01-16 03:56 PM
    So which big app is missing? Amazon does have big names I believe.
    10-01-16 04:15 PM
63 123