UAE telecoms operators have abruptly pulled the plug on BlackBerry�s newly launched BBM Channels social media service, only two weeks after its launch.

The mobile operator du said yesterday the service was no longer available, in response to guidelines from the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA).

�In accordance with the internet management policy issued by the TRA to regulate internet content that is not in line with moral, social and cultural values that the UAE stands for, the BBM Channel application is unavailable to du customers until further notice,� the company said yesterday. �We count on the support and understanding of our customers in this regard.�

Read more: Etisalat and du pull plug on new BlackBerry service | The National
    12-10-13 01:33 PM
    Unfortunately that government wants control over what people see.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 01:37 PM
    I expect it to be banned in china and a few other countries

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 01:51 PM
    they don't want an Arab uprising like what happened in the past with Twitter.
    12-10-13 05:29 PM
    Woah, that came unexpected

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 05:34 PM
    I wonder if Instagram is allowed in the UAE, cos Instagram is bad, really bad! Helped my cuz setup his HTC One the other day and he was boohooing so much about wanting his Instagram, so I set it up for him and what I saw took a few days to wipe out of my mind, takes NSFW to a whole new level!
    Mack Gans likes this.
    12-10-13 05:49 PM
    I wonder if Instagram is allowed in the UAE, cos Instagram is bad, really bad! Helped my cuz setup his HTC One the other day and he was boohooing so much about wanting his Instagram, so I set it up for him and what I saw took a few days to wipe out of my mind, takes NSFW to a whole new level!
    Forget about Instagram, what about Tumblr then? :rofl:

Posted via CB10
    Djlatino likes this.
    12-10-13 06:41 PM
    So how can they block it once it's downloaded and installed on the phone? Did BB deleted it from devices?
    12-11-13 03:14 AM
    Yeah that's why I cant update my channel haist! This is bb's asset!

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 03:26 AM
    Wow thats really lame

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    12-11-13 08:23 AM
    more of a cultural issue than a political move, I suppose. those parts of regions don't want their citizens mingle around. they call it a garden off of devils. what was he word... loose proximity, was it? besides they already have a hard time if the channels can be secret.
    12-12-13 05:00 AM
    Guess they aren't fans of the numerous yoga pants channels rotfl or a lot of the nudity you can see and thats before people even join the channel.

If BlackBerry wants this to take off in the states they bettet get a handle on it. I dont say that as a believer in opressing freedom to do what you want but as a parent.

Seriously though they are becoming the s4bb of BlackBerry channels.
    And if people think im wrong apple seems to have done pretty well with their requirements as far as this stuff goes.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 02:45 PM
    They must have you IT policies to control what apps can be downloaded and installed. Just like how the BES system works with control what employees do with their phones.

What's your Qollar ID? The shirt addict plan...coming soon. C00122EC9
    12-13-13 03:41 PM
    It's not a cultural issue and I know it cause I'm an arab, it's a national security issue.

They just don't like people gathering in one place and talking about stuff that the government don't want them to talk about, they either keep an eye on channels and see what citizens post or just relax and ban it and it's all good.

Saudi Arabia wanted to ban whatsapp cause whatsapp doesn't let them see what the saudi citizens say in chats, unfortunately the ministery of defence changed their minds and prevented the ban, I was really waiting for the ban but it never happened lol.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 09:19 AM
    It's not a cultural issue and I know it cause I'm an arab, it's a national security issue.

They just don't like people gathering in one place and talking about stuff that the government don't want them to talk about, they either keep an eye on channels and see what citizens post or just relax and ban it and it's all good.

Saudi Arabia wanted to ban whatsapp cause whatsapp doesn't let them see what the saudi citizens say in chats, unfortunately the ministery of defence changed their minds and prevented the ban, I was really waiting for the ban but it never happened lol.

Posted via CB10
    Isn't whatsapp working now?? Coz always my friends use to say BBM since ages, may be this could be reason. And channels?? What's wrong in it? GOSH!!!!!
    12-16-13 10:33 AM