.....this is going to get interesting.

(Reuters) - BlackBerry Ltd's patent claims related to an attachable keyboard accessory for Apple Inc's iPhones don't comply with legal requirements for patentability, Typo Products LLC said in a court filing late on Tuesday.

BlackBerry sued Typo last month, saying its physical keyboard that can be attached to some of Apple's iPhone models infringes patents.

The Canadian smartphone maker claimed that Typo's keyboard infringes its design and alleged that the startup's $99 keyboard featuring angled miniature keys is similar to those on many BlackBerry devices.

In a request to a federal court in San Francisco, Typo asked a U.S. judge to rule that the patents have not been infringed and to declare some of the claims invalid and unenforceable.

Typo said that one of the patents is not enforceable because the design was widely available for sale in 1988, prior to the BlackBerry patent approval, and this was not disclosed to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Typo urged the judge to dismiss every claim in BlackBerry's complaint with prejudice and not be subject to further action, the filing showed.

Typo, founded by "American Idol" co-host Ryan Seacrest, also asked the court for a permanent injunction to prevent BlackBerry from suing or threatening to sue the company for patent infringement.

BlackBerry, a once dominant smartphone maker has lost market share to the iPhone and other touchscreen devices.

Typo Products is named after the typographical errors that people make while typing on smartphones, according to its website.

BlackBerry posted billions in losses in recent quarters as its latest devices sold poorly, but it has maintained a loyal niche of customers who prefer to type on a physical keyboard.

The case is BlackBerry Ltd v. Typo Products LLC, case no. 3:14-cv-23 in the United States District Court for the northern district of California.

Typo Products tells U.S. judge BlackBerry's patent claims are invalid | Reuters
    02-19-14 08:35 AM
    What design is that? Sounds too much a stretch, what kind of smartphone existed in 1988? And what kind of keyboard does it have?

Ryan Seacrest is going to face fierce fights from BlackBerry, and he's gonna be millions of dollars poorer. I hope BlackBerry can gain something from this

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.1925
    needforbbx and thekidshop like this.
    02-19-14 08:51 AM
    I guess I never understood why you need to strap a keyboard on an iphone when there are good keyboard phones out there. So what - if you want a qwerty on an iphone you gotta carry around 2 different form factor chargers too? Might as well carry 2 devices.

It's not too terribly complex. If you want a nice size screen - get a note 3. If you want access to a billion app's and itunes music and movies - get an iphone. If you want a good qwerty - get a BB.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 10:19 AM
    A standard defence in any infringement suit is to attempt to get the original patent invalidated.

Posted via CB10. Join C001A8DC6 for bento-inspired lunch ideas
    02-19-14 10:43 AM
    If you want access to a billion app's and itunes music and movies - get an iphone. If you want a good qwerty - get a BB.
    The point is that there are some people who want both and are willing to attach a keyboard to do it. Typo may be the best way. Who knows whether it's a million people per year or 10 million.
    Tre Lawrence and techvisor like this.
    02-19-14 10:50 AM
    I guess I never understood why you need to strap a keyboard on an iphone when there are good keyboard phones out there. So what - if you want a qwerty on an iphone you gotta carry around 2 different form factor chargers too? Might as well carry 2 devices.

It's not too terribly complex. If you want a nice size screen - get a note 3. If you want access to a billion app's and itunes music and movies - get an iphone. If you want a good qwerty - get a BB.

Posted via CB10
    I thought keyboards were dead. Killed by the iPhone. Oh the irony.
    milo53 likes this.
    02-19-14 12:05 PM
    I thought keyboards were dead. Killed by the iPhone. Oh the irony.
    Physical keyboards are a dying market - even if it never completely dies.
    People certainly aren't as fixated on the keyboard to give up their iPhone/Android device to use a Blackberry. Apps/Ecosystem > Physical keyboard.
    techvisor likes this.
    02-19-14 02:10 PM
    Physical keyboards are a dying market - even if it never completely dies.
    People certainly aren't as fixated on the keyboard to give up their iPhone/Android device to use a Blackberry. Apps/Ecosystem > Physical keyboard.
    I agree to an extent but the general demographic of the average smartphone user went from being largely adult, professional and business to teenagers who can't live without snapchat.

Ten years ago when I was in upper management - I was the only person I knew who had a smartphone. Now a days every teenager and their teeny bopper friend has a smartphone.

I have tried to do actual work on an iphone and wanted to smash it into little pieces. My 14 year old niece can keep her iphone and her and her friends can keep snap chatting. I, on the other hand, need to bang out 50+ emails a day and won't do it on something that makes me want to stab myself in the temple with a number 2 pencil.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 03:15 PM
    I think that comparison between the typo keyboard and the blackberry keyboard reveal that they are almost identical.

Unless this isn't the subject of the lawsuit?

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 04:13 PM
    Regardless of if the court rules in favor of BlackBerry, Typo will merely tweek the keyboard to look different. They'll lose money in what's been produced so far, but eventually Typo will be able to release an attachable keyboard.

The 1988 issue works as follows:

Patents are granted for specific period of time. That time starts running when the patent is granted, not when the product hits the market. Typo is arguing that one of the patents that BlackBerry is using against Typo was actually granted in 1988 and has expired. Typo's argument is the 1988 patent that has expired is enough to open the door for Typo.

Posted via my BlackBerry Q10 or Z30 on VZW from Philly
    02-23-14 04:28 PM