Playing devils advocate here...

But what if you don't want a BlackBerry? Even if people want a physical keyboard, they still aren't buying BlackBerrys. They will still go out and buy the Android or iOS device that is full touch and just deal with it.

If they make a keyboard accessory, BlackBerry gets a customer and money. Said user wasn't going to buy a BB anyways, so it is a win. If they make nothing and continue at the rate they are going, they will continuously lose, which is what is currently happening. BB10 device sales are awful, and BBOS devices are not particularly wanted by people living in first world countries.

Cater to potential millions that want an addon to their iOS device, who will not leave no matter what (or will leave but to anything else but a BB), which can potentially bring them in more money than their entire smartphone line, and those who want BBs will still buy them, or try to boost a platform that so far basically no one wants or will give the time of day and keep on trying to make it to a good spot (all while money is loaned)?
    Although I don't entirely agree with you, if this were a play, it should be a Bbm play and not a BlackBerry one. Sell the keyboard with the whole Bbm ecosystem, not on the BlackBerry coat tails. Just doesn't seem like the right thing if you ultimately want to sell more handsets.

There's my nickel, waiting for 3cents back .

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-09-14 05:12 PM
    Although I don't entirely agree with you, if this were a play, it should be a Bbm play and not a BlackBerry one. Sell the keyboard with the whole Bbm ecosystem, not on the BlackBerry coat tails. Just doesn't seem like the right thing if you ultimately want to sell more handsets.

There's my nickel, waiting for 3cents back .

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    But these people aren't buying BBs anyway, so how would it hurt the bottom line on the handset division?

Right now, the only people who seem to be buying BBs are those who want BBs, or are die hards. Average Joe and Jane who go to the store who have no clue about any OS on the market, don't seem to be walking out with BB10 devices, physical keyboard or not.

I have said it before but I will say it again. I live in one of the most populated States in the USA, and in one of the most populated areas of said state (NY Metro Area), and I have not seen ONE random stranger with a BB10 device in over a year that BB10 has been on the market. I see all other new devices when they come out, but not BB10. I saw more Palm Pres, Pixis and WebOS in general than BB10. These devices have been EOL for a while.

So the question remains, how will it hurt if no one wants your product anyways? These people already own an iPhone. Spend $100 on a keyboard and remain happy, or move to a device they don't want which will also most likely cost them full retail if they signed a contract with their iPhone (another thing most seem to not want to do) just because it has a physical keyboard?
    02-09-14 05:25 PM
    But these people aren't buying BBs anyway, so how would it hurt the bottom line on the handset division?
    How do you know that? These people could be on the fence

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 05:52 PM
    How do you know that? These people could be on the fence

Posted via CB10
    I think the market speaks for itself. BB10 adoption rate is absolutely **** poor.

On the fence about what? How many people do you think actually do research on devices and really take time to think about it? Most people I have met walk into a carrier store when their contract is up, and walk out with a device that was displayed in the store. BB10 devices are displayed in the store and an extremely low amount are walking out with one.

The only people I know who really do some research on smartphones are tech savvy people. I have even spoken to carrier reps about this and it is the same story. iOS and Android are usually the only ones ever even considered. WP is extremely rare as well.
    02-09-14 06:02 PM
    I think the market speaks for itself. BB10 adoption rate is absolutely **** poor.

On the fence about what? How many people do you think actually do research on devices and really take time to think about it? Most people I have met walk into a carrier store when their contract is up, and walk out with a device that was displayed in the store. BB10 devices are displayed in the store and an extremely low amount are walking out with one.

The only people I know who really do some research on smartphones are tech savvy people. I have even spoken to carrier reps about this and it is the same story. iOS and Android are usually the only ones ever even considered. WP is extremely rare as well.
    I agree with your statement about adoption rates, particularly BlackBerry low adoption rate.

My friends and colleagues who have purchased a phone recently didn't even consider BlackBerry as an option. As I said in another thread, some of my friends and colleagues didn't even know BlackBerry made a full touch screen device. Almost all the people I work with thought that my Z10, in its Otterbox Defender, was an iPhone.

I'm not sure however that this argument about poor adoption rates translates into it being a good idea for BlackBerry to make keyboards for other devices. That's BlackBerry's unique feature.

On a side note I wouldn't count out Windows Phone in the future. They have some good potential from what I've seen.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    02-09-14 09:24 PM

So what your saying is you want to get BlackBerry's biggest unique feature and give it to the competition!? You're not a business man are you?

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 09:28 PM
    It's a very touchy game. Besides some chargers and pouches, BlackBerry isn't in the accessory market.
    Going in this area could be done, if they decide that they should provide a large range, including cases and "gadgets" that the public desires now (and have a poor offer currently for BB10 devices).
    And this is a huge move on every front, from the supply chain to the distribution channels (with marketing and so on in the middle). We're talking about $millions, aimed at general public when Chen's #1 target is enterprise ...

I know some of you - Kevin included - did test the typo kb in real situation and I didn't. I also know many of iphone users are in love with some of their accessories, like their Morphie ... But I for one refuse to stick a wart on my device, that's absolute nonsense IMHO, just a workaround to overcome the weakness of a device.

P.S : I must say the BBM branding (@Poncherelly) idea is pretty neat ... lot of work to do before it could be mature, but that's a nice reflexion to have.
    02-10-14 02:28 AM
    So what your saying is you want to get BlackBerry's biggest unique feature and give it to the competition!? You're not a business man are you?

Posted via CB10
    I am playing devil advocate, maybe you missed that part? I don't think BB should do this.

Read my previous post. I clearly said "Playing devils advocate here". Please read. I just created a counter argument because I can see them doing this, but I don't think they should.

I can also see them being extremely profitable this way as well, but still think they should stick to their own brand.

Businessmen can see both sides of the story, but it doesn't mean it will be entertained.
    02-10-14 11:27 AM
    It's a very touchy game. Besides some chargers and pouches, BlackBerry isn't in the accessory market.
    Going in this area could be done, if they decide that they should provide a large range, including cases and "gadgets" that the public desires now (and have a poor offer currently for BB10 devices).
    And this is a huge move on every front, from the supply chain to the distribution channels (with marketing and so on in the middle). We're talking about $millions, aimed at general public when Chen's #1 target is enterprise ...

I know some of you - Kevin included - did test the typo kb in real situation and I didn't. I also know many of iphone users are in love with some of their accessories, like their Morphie ... But I for one refuse to stick a wart on my device, that's absolute nonsense IMHO, just a workaround to overcome the weakness of a device.

P.S : I must say the BBM branding (@Poncherelly) idea is pretty neat ... lot of work to do before it could be mature, but that's a nice reflexion to have.
    How is a Mophie juicepack a weakness? It adds double battery life and excellent device protection. I have never seen you write something so ridiculous.

Should we consider the ability to swap batteries and add charging sticks/bundles to our Z10/Z30/Q's a weakness? You know, you shouldn't have to charge on the go or need to change a battery since it should just last...
    02-10-14 11:34 AM
    One may argue that a user replaceable battery is a more elegant solution vs a bulging pos attached to the back of ur phone (mophie)

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-10-14 04:58 PM
    How is a Mophie juicepack a weakness? It adds double battery life and excellent device protection. I have never seen you write something so ridiculous.

Should we consider the ability to swap batteries and add charging sticks/bundles to our Z10/Z30/Q's a weakness? You know, you shouldn't have to charge on the go or need to change a battery since it should just last...
    I've heard so many times Z30 was "last year" specs that - sorry - but I cannot stop laughing when my buddies hide the glorious design (I mean it, no second degree here) of their iphones behind stupid pink rabbits or awfull black capotes.

I never used anything but a belt pouch (for my 9900) and got rid of it the instant I had a BB10 device. I did broke a screen because I was stupid (and I'm pretty sure no case will have saved it) but even then, I replaced it for $50 (overseas shipping included). Yes, I believe these are awful warts. They deprecate what I believe is a good device; a great feeling in my hands and a strength that can afford normal usage, mine being quite rough. I don't mind a scratch on the back, I'm no maniac and cannot understand the meaning of a AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA grade device ... that you actually never use nor see in its perfect shape.

I don't use carry anything with my Z30 nor cable than extra anything; it's a robust, sexy and balanced nuke powered device. As is. And you're right, modern devices should all offer that.
    This, of course is perfectly personal, so I'm entitled to it and don't pretend you should share my POV ... but at the end of the day, I'm wondering how much frustration some have with their "precious" beautiful devices looking like plastic toys in their hands. Must be the eyes of love, a persistent vision and feel of what they are ... out of the box ?
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 02-11-14 at 10:51 AM. Reason: use/carry + persistent vision
    02-10-14 06:50 PM
    One may argue that a user replaceable battery is a more elegant solution vs a bulging pos attached to the back of ur phone (mophie)

Posted via CB10
    It's really not that bulky. I own one and I barely notice the difference in my pockets. Unless you wear skinny jeans or tights, it's not that bad.

One can also argue that not having to power down their device to change their battery is an even better solution. Plus it's a case.

Everyone I know who has bashed it for being bulky tried it and didn't think the same after. But, different strokes different folks.
    02-10-14 07:00 PM
    I am playing devil advocate, maybe you missed that part? I don't think BB should do this.

Read my previous post. I clearly said "Playing devils advocate here". Please read. I just created a counter argument because I can see them doing this, but I don't think they should.

I can also see them being extremely profitable this way as well, but still think they should stick to their own brand.

Businessmen can see both sides of the story, but it doesn't mean it will be entertained.
    So what your saying is you're playing devils advocate!?

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 11:13 PM
    It's really not that bulky. I own one and I barely notice the difference in my pockets. Unless you wear skinny jeans or tights, it's not that bad.

One can also argue that not having to power down their device to change their battery is an even better solution. Plus it's a case.

Everyone I know who has bashed it for being bulky tried it and didn't think the same after. But, different strokes different folks.
    I disagree, ive handled a cellphone with mophie, it is notably thicker and not attractive at all.. But I use my Q10 without a case/cover/anything.... Thin as can be.. I like the feel of the phone with no extra layers.. Gotta love that glass weave

But yes, to each their own...
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-11-14 08:25 AM
114 ... 345