Am I the only who thinks that blackberry messed up big on this one?
    I mean they're over there acting completely butthurt over this. Just imagine.
    If blackberry had released a BB branded keyboard of this type with universal compatibility for android, iphone and windows phone devices. All under the slogan "bringing the blackberry experience to your device."
    This would've potentially make people curious once again about blackberry and would've presented a wonderful opportunity to bring back thousands of costumers.
    Simply because this type of keyboard is bound to become retro and maybe even experience a revival as people ultimately grow tired of the sometimes annoying limitations of a touch screen only device and as prosumers become nostalgic at the unrivaled precision of a qwerty keyboard.
    I think blackberry just realized that they missed the train big time on this one just saying.
    completely disagree, if you like keyboards, but moved AWAY from the blackberry, and then were using a blackberry keyboard on your iphone that is just as good as a bb10 keyboard, why would you come back to BB? you already have a phone you like, and with the keybard you want….
    BCITMike likes this.
    02-07-14 01:28 PM
    Sorry, I'm with Chen on this one.

Those rebuttal arguments are worse than weak -- they're irrelevant.

Patents are a very unique sort of IP. You can selectively defend them without losing them and in addition your business size and success are utterly immaterial. Indeed, the very point of a patent is that you have a monopoly on your invention for the duration of the patent. That's what a patent is -- a legal grant of a monopoly right to exploit your invention for a limited period of time, provided by law, as an incentive to invent things.

Typo's biggest problem in this case is that they blew their own heads off when they stated in public that they copied the BlackBerry design. It appears they did that without looking first to see if BlackBerry had patented anything related to that design.

Well, BlackBerry had done exactly that, and then Typo admitted in public to infringing on it.

Now they've got a problem, and justly so.
    Raestloz likes this.
    02-07-14 02:39 PM
    BlackBerry is going to lose this battle.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 10:40 PM
    The Typo keyboard is a shameless ripoff when it comes to design. However, I'm feeling cynical about this and would not be surprised if Typo escapes with very few (if any) penalties.

I also won't be surprised to see the usual BlackBerry detractors justify Typo's position using one argument or another.
    Last edited by clickitykeys; 02-08-14 at 02:52 AM.
    02-08-14 02:07 AM
    There would certainly be damages. A lot of people stay with blackberry primarily for the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 07:42 AM
    Actually, two. You typed to instead of too...
    That wasn't a typo. It was a grammatical error!

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-08-14 08:18 AM
    This has been said before many times by other people and I agree:

IMO BlackBerry should develop a (BlackBerry) keyboard for iphone, android and WP to further the BlackBerry experience on other devices.

Posted on CB10 with the Q10
    02-08-14 08:58 AM

IMO BlackBerry should develop a (BlackBerry) keyboard for iphone, android and WP to further the BlackBerry experience on other devices.

Why the hell do you want to improve their experience on other device's!?

I'm sorry dude but that's just dumb! The so called BlackBerry experience you speak of won't exist if people don't buy BlackBerry's.

Making awesome keyboards for other mobile platforms will make people love their other devices more but that's not gonna help BlackBerry. We need people to switch back!

Posted via CB10
    BCITMike likes this.
    02-08-14 10:05 AM
    That's fine if they want to make a keyboard for iphones. But why they copying BlackBerry s keyboard style with those guitar frets going across the keys. Why's it look so damn similar to BlackBerry s huh typo
    02-08-14 10:19 AM
    I'm still cracking up that Kevin has gone though 3 of these $100 keyboards... Are the Pre-Production Keyboards that bad?
    02-08-14 10:55 AM
    It's not like there are tons of keyboard phones to argue this is some standard design. BlackBerry is the only one who has ever sold keyboards with that look. Typo knows that and that's their market... ex-blackberry users that are stuck with iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 11:08 AM
    Why the hell do you want to improve their experience on other device's!?

I'm sorry dude but that's just dumb! The so called BlackBerry experience you speak of won't exist if people don't buy BlackBerry's.

Making awesome keyboards for other mobile platforms will make people love their other devices more but that's not gonna help BlackBerry. We need people to switch back!

Posted via CB10
    First, it's only one part of the BlackBerry experience.
    Second, BlackBerry can make money from developing after market accessories.
    Third, the ceo doesn't seem to think the experience idea is dumb.

See below dude...

http://m.crackberry.com/john-chen-wo...os-and-android

02-08-14 11:16 AM
    It's not like there are tons of keyboard phones to argue this is some standard design. BlackBerry is the only one who has ever sold keyboards with that look. Typo knows that and that's their market... ex-blackberry users that are stuck with iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    If stuck means, captured by the apple cult.

02-08-14 11:20 AM
    To instead of too was a typo. Typo's instead of typos was a grammatical error. Just to make it even more confusing.
    That wasn't a typo. It was a grammatical error!
    But it is all better now.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    02-08-14 02:08 PM
    First, it's only one part of the BlackBerry experience.
    Second, BlackBerry can make money from developing after market accessories.
    Third, the ceo doesn't seem to think the experience idea is dumb.

See below dude...

http://m.crackberry.com/john-chen-wo...os-and-android

First, it's not only one part it's the biggest part of the BlackBerry experience as BlackBerry is most know for their superior keyboards.

Second, yes that's correct BlackBerry can make money from a keyboard accessory but they could also make 10 times more if those people bought a BlackBerry phone instead. BlackBerry is not in the accessory business.

Third, It was a silly question and he was just being nice. In his quote he doesn't really say anything about keyboards I think you assume too much.

I just don't get it dude

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 03:04 PM
    Most ridiculous comment of the day

Posted via CB10
    +1

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    02-08-14 03:06 PM
    BlackBerry's lawyers must be aggressive on this.

Posted via CB10 | Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1925
    Indeed they should knock the pics out of them!

dumb asses are saying keyboards like BlackBerry have been around since the 80's so was BlackBerry!! Morons and so is the courts thinking that their business model prevents keyboard add ons from being purchased by corporations.

I don't like the look of this is going and I feel BlackBerry will suffer in the end

BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    02-08-14 04:47 PM

Why not one for the z10 and 30...seems that many BlackBerry folk love the large touch screen real estate and yet miss their keyboards....of course now BlackBerry would have to cut a deal with Typo and Seacrest, as they were the ones to come up with the add-on.....win some, lose some....me I'm fine with just the touch screen....like flicking, just wish plural options would show up without having to back space...

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 04:58 PM
    To instead of too was a typo. Typo's instead of typos was a grammatical error. Just to make it even more confusing.

But it is all better now.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    Actually, those are both grammatical errors. Unless the person intended to hit the "o" twice and somehow only hit it once by accident.

A typo is simply hitting the wrong key, or failing to hit a key at all, by accident.

Sorry.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    02-08-14 06:50 PM
    Actually, those are both grammatical errors. Unless the person intended to hit the "o" twice and somehow only hit it once by accident.

A typo is simply hitting the wrong key, or failing to hit a key at all, by accident.

Sorry.

sorry, i'm gonna have to see a grammar police badge sir.
    crazigee likes this.
    02-08-14 08:05 PM
    Very respectfully, no. You want a BlackBerry ? Buy a Blackberry.
    Don't compromise the range logic. Touch is touch, physical is physical ... or build a slider (I'm not a fan).
    02-09-14 05:04 AM
    sorry, i'm gonna have to see a grammar police badge sir.
    Lol.

I'm actually a grammar special agent!

02-09-14 02:58 PM
    The Typo keyboard is a shameless ripoff when it comes to design. However, I'm feeling cynical about this and would not be surprised if Typo escapes with very few (if any) penalties.

I also won't be surprised to see the usual BlackBerry detractors justify Typo's position using one argument or another.
    One things for sure, there's no reason why an enterprising, innovative company can't produce a physical keyboard add on for an iPhone. Even if they're forced into minor redesign you have to admire their innovation.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-09-14 03:07 PM
    Well, I am that person, so I am sure to/too was a typo. The other was a grammatical error, caused by the fact that "-'s" is used differently in my native tongue.
    ...Unless the person intended to hit the "o" twice and somehow only hit it once by accident...

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    02-09-14 03:41 PM
    Very respectfully, no. You want a BlackBerry ? Buy a Blackberry.
    Don't compromise the range logic. Touch is touch, physical is physical ... or build a slider (I'm not a fan).
    Playing devils advocate here...

But what if you don't want a BlackBerry? Even if people want a physical keyboard, they still aren't buying BlackBerrys. They will still go out and buy the Android or iOS device that is full touch and just deal with it.

If they make a keyboard accessory, BlackBerry gets a customer and money. Said user wasn't going to buy a BB anyways, so it is a win. If they make nothing and continue at the rate they are going, they will continuously lose, which is what is currently happening. BB10 device sales are awful, and BBOS devices are not particularly wanted by people living in first world countries.

Cater to potential millions that want an addon to their iOS device, who will not leave no matter what (or will leave but to anything else but a BB), which can potentially bring them in more money than their entire smartphone line, and those who want BBs will still buy them, or try to boost a platform that so far basically no one wants or will give the time of day and keep on trying to make it to a good spot (all while money is loaned)?
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    02-09-14 03:47 PM
114 ... 2345