Before I get flamed, I must say it's up to personal preferences between a physical and virtual keyboard. Typing this fast may seem ridiculous to some, and I agree that it's not something the average joe can pull off. However, I just wanted to share these videos to help those who are having a hard time deciding which OS7 device to get to see that it is very possible to type as fast (if not faster) on a virtual keyboard, and to debunk the myth that typing on a virtual keyboard is slow. Just because it's slow for someone else it does not mean it'll be slow for you. Bottom line: Try it yourself!

Disclaimer: This is not a war between BB and other platforms. I couldn't find a typing speed test made by a BB touchscreen user as well as a properly recorded one on Android. So if you could, please add it to the list. Or even better, put those fingers to work and post a video of your mad typing skills! Maybe Kevin can put them up on the blog for some fun and laughter, or host a MobileNations typing contest or something.

BlackBerry Bold 9000 75WPM:

iPhone4 79WPM:

Android ???WPM:
    Last edited by Derwent Graphite; 08-08-11 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Typos
    08-08-11 09:44 AM
    It's not slow at all. When the iPhone first came out it was my biggest gripe about it and the reason I didn't want to make the switch. I eventually did and couldn't believe how much faster I could type since I don't have to physically press down on anything. I can just glide my fingers around. It took all of a week to master and I can even type without looking at the screen. I also don't understand why people say the iPhone isn't one hand typing friendly. I have ridiculously small hands (seriously, my friends make fun of my "baby" hands whenever I high five them) and I can easily do it.
    08-08-11 09:48 AM
    Typing speed was never a concern for me, rather, it was to be able to touch type and see where I'm going instead of stopping mid-step to send a reply.
    08-08-11 10:04 AM
    I think the speed is down to the user. I have small fingers and I still type faster on a physical keyboard than any of the touch screen ones. But that's just me!
    08-08-11 10:22 AM
    I had the Pantech Crux (true it is a smaller screen and a feature phone) and I could not stand typing on it. I loved the touch screen when it came to using the phone but typing was a nightmare.
    08-08-11 12:28 PM
    I type just as fast on both. There the same speed for me, I just prefer the keyboard as I don't have to look at what I'm typing and I know its either right or wrong, and also cuz I prefer feeling keys then a screen

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-11 01:01 PM
    I just prefer being able to rest my fingers on a key without actually pressing it. My WPM on physical and touchscreen keyboards are both around 40 WPM, sometimes one is faster than the other because I can roll my fingers on a physical keyboard, but an on-screen keyboard is faster when my fingers are tired.
    08-08-11 08:23 PM
    I can type equally fast on my nook with swype and my blackberry. But once I have to go back and fix the typos on my nook, blackberry wins.
    08-09-11 12:32 AM
    I can type pretty quick on a full-sized keyboard and my netbook's replacement USB keyboard and my blackberry's qwerty keyboard. Not so much on a touch screen.

08-09-11 02:05 AM
    I am horrendously slow on a touchscreen. And it takes me forever to correct a spelling error. I like the trackpad where you can get the cursor where you need it without having to zoom out.
    Just a preference.
    I also cannot chew gum while I'm walking.
    08-09-11 02:34 AM
    I just like the feel of "clicky keys". Speed's not the issue for me.

08-09-11 02:49 AM
    I think the question is not so much what a rare super-expert can do under ideal conditions, but what an average Joe can do under normal conditions. I can move pretty quickly with Swype on my Android phone when I'm fresh and sitting still. Not so much when I'm tired or trying to text while moving (either walking or riding). It's then that the touch screen really slows down.

Also, if you're just texting a friend, a few typos aren't so important. When you're responding to a business email, it better be right. That's where the BlackBerry keyboard shines.
    08-09-11 09:56 AM
    One thing I like about virtual keyboards... no thumb fatigue. It might sound silly, but I used to have to occasionally stretch or crack my thumbs on a busy day.
    08-09-11 02:15 PM
    One thing I like about virtual keyboards... no thumb fatigue. It might sound silly, but I used to have to occasionally stretch or crack my thumbs on a busy day.
    Same here. Multitouch touchscreens allow my thumbs to just glide along the screen. Very simple for me but I have seen people fail hard with touchscreens.
    08-09-11 02:38 PM
    keyboard allows me to type under the table and/or not looking and sending a txt /email without even looking at the screen
    08-09-11 02:49 PM
    I get enough felange exercise from typing on my desktop keyboard ..

Sent from my Incredible
    08-09-11 03:04 PM
    I'd like to see someone try it on a Torch.
    08-09-11 05:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD