Isn't this a similar solution that was tried when the Leap was launched after the Z30. Folks just waited for the better equipped Z30 price to go down on Amazon.
    Users don't want lesser devices, they want better pricing. If I can get a more powerful Samsung for $0 down on a 2 year contract, why would I purchase in a lesser powered BlackBerry device, especially given the lack of commitment to the BlackBerry Consumers' product investments exhibited by the CEO in the past .

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by KNEBB; 04-09-16 at 05:09 AM.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    04-08-16 06:32 PM
    I just hope the specs of these phones won't be behind the competitors'...

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 07:12 PM
    They're long sold out on the Z30, at most it'll be a Leap.

PS: what's with all your negativity and trash talk about BlackBerry lately?
    The fact that he's CrackBerry's EIC doesn't mean he's only allowed to say positive things about the company the site covers.
    JeepBB and TgeekB like this.
    04-08-16 08:33 PM
    In what world does Chen think that $400 is a "midrange" android phone?

Or a midrange anything for that matter?

Cheap android phones are < $150.

Midrange android phones are $150-$300.
    04-08-16 08:59 PM
    The fact that he's CrackBerry's EIC doesn't mean he's only allowed to say positive things about the company the site covers.
    No of course not, just out of the norm.
    04-08-16 09:25 PM
    For those wanting BB10 to return for new devices this year, it is over because carriers are not going to buy in . Blackberry will not update android runtime, as they already state that and thus there is no point in coming up with ideas based on having an updated android runtime.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 10:03 PM
    I say drop the Priv name as it is still stupid. Rename it the BlackBerry Slider and drop the price to $499. What may happen is you get a whole new set of YouTube positive reviews with a cool name. Change the colour if need be. Have it run Marshmallow.

Posted via CB10
    andy957, spiller, BeautyEh and 1 others like this.
    04-08-16 10:32 PM
    For slab phones without a KB why not just charge $9.99 for a blackberry software suite that runs on a $390 Android - done! Get on with the Vienna that might actual keep the PKB users with the brand and actually bring a few folks back to Blackberry.
    coryallen78 likes this.
    04-09-16 12:44 AM
    No mid tier BlackBerry for me, but great news

Posted via CB10
    wilber1 likes this.
    04-09-16 01:23 AM
    This makes me happy to hear, I just like new things from BlackBerry. I'm interested in the PKB as a Classic user. An all touch device... why not just get a Galaxy phone :s ah well, exciting none the less
    asublimeday and Plazmic Flame like this.
    04-09-16 01:38 AM
    This makes me happy to hear, I just like new things from BlackBerry. I'm interested in the PKB as a Classic user. An all touch device... why not just get a Galaxy phone :s ah well, exciting none the less
    My view also.... Classic user looking for an pkb upgrade in the future.

Many here were so sure that Priv is the last BlackBerry phone. At least this way there might be a nice pkb android phone (no slider please) on the market. As I last checked there were not so many on the market ;-) That's my positive view....

Posted via CB10
    asublimeday likes this.
    04-09-16 05:09 AM
    Mid tier is Not what I would like to see I think the Vienna type should be high end specs or go home .
    asublimeday likes this.
    04-09-16 05:25 AM
    Just a thought, if I can get a Z30 style phone with high end specs for a mid-range price ($350-400 CAD, not USD please) that would be awesome.
    04-09-16 05:26 AM
    That's some good news for the handset division at least. Hopefully the price reduction helps them sell a bit more.

Disappointed about BB10 but glad I moved on when I did now that Android is 100 confirmed as their only commitment.
    Wow 100% commitment....from this company that's as good AS ..........Nothing. Been down this road before, and we know were it will land. The handset division is dead. period. The other companies that make handsets are always 2 steps ahead of BlackBerry. Chen is always a day late and a dollar short!

Woof!
    04-09-16 07:13 AM
    Why 2 mid-ranges?
    Why not 1 mid-range and 1 entry level?
    If he wants to shake the market, he should go under 100$.
    Android phones have different pricing. Could someone please tell the management at BlackBerry about this?
    In my country, Egypt, huge consumer numbers, You can buy an android phone for 450 LE (50 USD) so if you're buying a 1200 LE (135 USD) phone you're set! (And this price is mid-range in android world pricing)
    Don't go 400 USD on me just because some rich gulf executives told you so!
    400 $ is 3200 LE. I could go buy a Note 3 or a Z3 or a Huawei P8 with that kind of money.
    If 400 $ is mid-range, it surely is the very high end of the top of the "mid-range"
    All I'm saying is when you're in the android game, play by their rules. In the android world you can buy a phone with 50 something $ an android phone.
    I'm sure that the management understands all this. Maybe they're targeting the higher-level people in the corporate world. But what about small businesses and individual businessmen? I just want to give voice to my opinion:
    Why not an entry level android phone too?
    IMHO: in android, you don't have to stick to the "high end" of corporates anymore. It's android; the smartphone of the masses.
    I just hope my message reaches the management at BlackBerry.
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    04-09-16 07:20 AM
    Yeah, that was what came first to my mind.
    Followed by my eyes glazing over............more old news from Chen. A day late and a dollar short!
    WooF!
    andy957, Slash82 and shoaib2811 like this.
    04-09-16 07:26 AM
    Chen is like a kid who do not understand that BB10 have no competition in any price range, he needs only came out from the "niche" market to global market with BB10, but whatever, seems like being ignorant is more profitable this is what happens then you give companies steering wheel to accountant.. no offense, just dry reality.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    04-09-16 07:30 AM
    Chen is like a kid who do not understand that BB10 have no competition in any price range, he needs only came out from the "niche" market to global market with BB10, but whatever, seems like being ignorant is more profitable this is what happens then you give companies steering wheel to accountant.. no offense, just dry reality.
    He has an MS in electrical engineering.
    Polt likes this.
    04-09-16 07:56 AM
    Could be interesting, though $400 may be a bit steep for "mid-range".
    04-09-16 08:11 AM
    Could be interesting, though $400 may be a bit steep for "mid-range".
    It's definitely too steep. Sorry to say but BlackBerry continue to be out to lunch where hardware is concerned. This is iPhone SE and Moto X territory where BlackBerry aren't likely to make an impression.

I agree with previous comments that suggest selling BlackBerry apps for Android and folding the hardware business - i.e. go software only. Much better margins and lower risk in software.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-16 08:50 AM
    It's definitely too steep. Sorry to say but BlackBerry continue to be out to lunch where hardware is concerned. This is iPhone SE and Moto X territory where BlackBerry aren't likely to make an impression.

I agree with previous comments that suggest selling BlackBerry apps for Android and folding the hardware business - i.e. go software only. Much better margins and lower risk in software.

Posted via CB10
    It's one of the advantages of Android with its wide array of devices and price points. Case in point:

I bought a Moto G (2015), refurbished for $149. I believe it was $229 brand new. While it doesn't have top of the line specs, it is very respectable, is near vanilla Android, has an sd slot, waterproof, very good camera, etc.

I'm not sure, at $400, they can pull people in.
    04-09-16 09:38 AM
    I say drop the Priv name as it is still stupid.
    Couldn't agree more.
    04-09-16 11:18 AM
    Also: drop Passport's price to 300$ and it'll do better than crapdroid Priv.

Here in Italy it costs 440�, talking about prices!!!!

Posted via CB10
    I'm curious. What is it about Android that makes you want to label it "crapdroid"? Have you used it?
    04-09-16 11:19 AM
    I'm curious. What is it about Android that makes you want to label it "crapdroid"? Have you used it?
    You hear it in schoolyards everywhere.
    DrBoomBotz, JeepBB and asublimeday like this.
    04-09-16 11:31 AM
    You hear it in schoolyards everywhere.
    Yes but I was hoping that the OP of that post (JulesDB) would answer. It amazes me how people can just repeat something without ever having used the device or OS, that's why I asked for specifics on why he would call it that.
    asublimeday likes this.
    04-09-16 11:33 AM
347 1234 ...