If you like Stephen Fry but are a bit iffy on Harry Potter, you should give his rendition of the Harry Potter audio books a listen. They are amazingly good. I've listened to other audio books since, and they don't quite hold a candle to the range of character he imparts. Sometimes I'd swear it's many different actors but it's all him.

Seriously, give 'em a listen. You won't be disappointed.
    zyben likes this.
    01-25-13 03:49 PM
    Fry used to be quite the iPhone man, I'm glad to see RIM has managed to convert him to the dark side. He's a great guy and a worthy ambassador for BlackBerry!
    01-25-13 03:51 PM
    Stephen Fry is probably the most trust worthy, wears his heart on his sleeve, knowledgable celebrity in the UK.

not only that, but he loves his tech stuff.

he's been a huge supporter of past Apple launches, most notably the IPhones 4&5 and the ipads, but not because he loves the brand (although its safe to say he's an admirer), but he was genuinely impressed with its capabilities.

anyone in RIM with any knowledge of Stephen knew that if they could show him a device that would not only compete but out-perform the Iphone then they would be onto a winner.

he's hugely regarded and respected in the UK, and this is a huge coup for RIM and BlackBerry due to his impressive Twitter following. As I have tickets to next weeks fan evnt in London, I am hoping he's there!!

it costs nothing to market this way if you truly believe in your product.... and it obviously saves RIM a few extra pennies to pay for a Super Bowl ad
    01-25-13 05:46 PM
    What a lucky bugger. I want one now! Im famous!
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    01-25-13 05:47 PM
    You know, when people on here are moaning that RIM haven't done any marketing, point them to this thread. It IS marketing. And effective too.
    01-25-13 06:39 PM
    Basic question, wondering why would RIM present BB10 to Stephen Fry?
    5 million followers is good enough for me....there is no better advertising, anywhere or anyhow, then word of mouth......tkh
    zyben likes this.
    01-25-13 10:41 PM
    Fry used to be quite the iPhone man, I'm glad to see RIM has managed to convert him to the dark side. He's a great guy and a worthy ambassador for BlackBerry!
    He's tech mad. He appreciates style too. So I guess the iPhone was a natural. For him to endorse the RIM product is a blessing for them.
    zyben and LazyEvul like this.
    01-26-13 01:57 AM
    He's highly intelligent, loves gadgets, and his opinion can be trusted. If he likes BB10 that's a massive win for RIM.
    01-26-13 10:16 AM
    Still is an Apple man by all accounts, but is also open to good technology whoever makes it.

Gordon
    01-26-13 10:59 AM
    5 million followers is good enough for me....there is no better advertising, anywhere or anyhow, then word of mouth......tkh
    Jonathan Ross (@wossy) only has 2.8million followers but is also tweeting he has one and is impressed. Interesting that many people now accusing him of making sponsored tweets because they can't believe BB10 could just be a game changer.

Gordon
    zyben likes this.
    01-26-13 11:03 AM
    its a shame that these celebs are being accused of being paid by RIM to tweet their support for RIM, which I seriously doubt is the case....

... but there is an element of bribery (in its loosest terms) involved...

we must remember that RIM have carefully and cleverly targeted these celebs to keep and test drive the device, prior to launch, and probably said something along the lines of "feel free to review or comment on what you think of the phone on social media".

This in itself is not without risk, as they may not have liked what they saw... but I am sure that the amount of confidence that RIM has in the product, gave them the confidence to market in this way...

I will be interested to see if they, or any celebs (e.g. JLS, who we know does have an affiliation to BlackBerry) turn up at the London launch event.
    01-26-13 04:51 PM
    You have to declare it if you're being paid to promote something on Twitter. It falls under advertising regulations. But one or two in the past have ignored that and got into a spot of bother.
    01-26-13 05:00 PM
37 12