Hello,

If you're like me--allergic to useless Amazon icons on your BlackBerry, I may have a solution for you to get rid of Amazon, for good, no icons, no nothing.
    Of course it's baked in the system so we need to be creative and do a workaround:

Step 1: Download Darcy's BB Tool and connect to your BlackBerry. *Optional
    Step 2: Go to 'Installed Apps' and delete everything with the word 'Amazon' in it. Disconnect your BlackBerry. *Optional
    Step 3: Enable Parental Control in: Settings > Security > Parental Controls. Enable it, and set a passport you like.
    Step 4: Scroll down to the bottom and uncheck 'Amazon Apps', leave the rest as it is.

Now enjoy your Amazon-free BlackBerry. This solution is update proof.
    The good: No Amazon on your device, update proof.
    The bad: Wallpaper cannot be changed in parental mode.

*The second you disable this parental control method, Amazon and Amazone Store will be the first apps to cry like a little kid for your permissions to take over your phone.
    Last edited by Wybrem; 09-12-15 at 04:59 PM.
    09-11-15 05:20 AM
    I can't believe people in this day and age treat Amazon app store like its a disease. What's your Blackberry like with NO android apps?
    WHatever. Hope this works and doesn't bork your phone.
    09-11-15 05:24 AM
    Wouldn't it just be easier to hide the Amazon icon in a folder and just forget about it?
    09-11-15 05:26 AM
    I can't believe people in this day and age treat Amazon app store like its a disease. What's your Blackberry like with NO android apps?
    I don't have any Android apps. I like it that way. To answer your question: it is clean. Amazon is like mallware to me, I don't want it, can't delete it, it forces my icons away with every update, etc. O and, there's two apps now, because one wasn't enough already.

Wouldn't it just be easier to hide the Amazon icon in a folder and just forget about it?
    Yes, but this is for people who "are like me--allergic to useless Amazon icons on your BlackBerry". Also with every update they will be back with your way, and back on their old spot forcing my other icons away.
    Lusitano17 and lift like this.
    09-11-15 05:29 AM
    Yes, but this is for people who "are like me--allergic to useless Amazon icons on your BlackBerry". Also with every update they will be back with your way, and back on their old spot forcing my other icons away.
    I understand. If its that big of a deal to you then by all means use your method.
    southlander likes this.
    09-11-15 05:36 AM
    I understand. If its that big of a deal to you then by all means use your method.
    Thanks, it is. I don't see how for example Instagram is of any value.
    extisis likes this.
    09-11-15 06:58 AM
    Thanks, it is. I don't see how for example Instagram is of any value.
    Why Instagram?

What about Microsoft Office, remote VNC, Synology server access apps, banking apps, wireless printing apps, medical analysis and tracking, etc, etc? It's not all about social networking - although many people use that for business too.

If you can get by without Android apps, then fine. Just don't lay the 'kid' argument on those who can't.

I have a junk folder full of 25 icons already - all the useless, redundant BlackBerry shortcuts like phone, sms, Hub, settings, help, tutorials, setup, clock, etc, etc. Throwing one or two more in there is of no consequence.

BlackBerry has vetted the Amazon appstore. If it was data mining your device, it would be on the front page of Crackberry faster than you can say 'tin-foil hat'.

If you think grabbing apks from other random websites is safer than the very existence of the Amazon Appstore on your device, then you need to reevaluate your understanding of security.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    09-11-15 07:09 AM
    Guys...there is simple way to get rid of amazon and ebay apps( or any future android apps BlackBerry decides to include) right from your smartphone settings!

Enable and Get to Parental Controls settings
    Scroll down and disable Amazon apps
    DONE!!! You might need to restart your device!

Valid Passport!
    Bbnivende likes this.
    09-11-15 07:20 AM
    What about Microsoft Office, remote VNC, Synology server access apps, banking apps, wireless printing apps, medical analysis and tracking, etc
    I don't know where you're from, but here there are like 10 apps on Amazon, all for kids--like Instagram.
    -Microsoft Office; people still use that overpriced software? Docs work fine, along with Open Office.
    -VNC; We've got that in BBworld as well. Why would you need that anyway.
    -Server; I can access my servers just fine through my BlackBerry IF, big IF I wanted to, but I'd much rather use a computer.
    -Banking apps; NONE available on Amazon at the moment and location.
    -Wireless printing.... from a phone, are you serious, it's a PHONE...
    Alright let's stop it here, you are one of those people who uses their phone as a computer, great, get an iPhone. I use my phone for secure communication; call, sms, pgp email.

all the useless, redundant BlackBerry shortcuts like phone, sms, Hub, settings, help, tutorials, setup, clock, etc, etc.
    You can delete some of those, the rest may be useless to you, but it's not 3d party AND the clock works the same for you as it does for me or someone in China. Amazon does not.

BlackBerry has vetted the Amazon appstore. If it was data mining your device, it would be on the front page of Crackberry faster than you can say 'tin-foil hat'.
    It's not data mining?: Amazon would like to know/see: Your location (why?), Shared Files (again, why?), Contacts (again, why?), Camera (WTF?), Device Identifying Information (No just no), Phone (Why?), Microphone (WTF!?):
    Amazon would like to: have access to your pictures, music, documents, and other files stored on your device, at a remote storage provider, on media card, or in the cloud. Amazon would like to access your device's current or saved locations. Amazon would like to take pictures, record video, and use the flash. Amazon would like access device identifiers such as serial number an PIN. Amazon would also like to identify when you are on a call, and to access identifiers such as your device phone number and BlackBerry ID username. On top of that Amazon would just LOVE to record sound using the microphone.

Amazon sounds like Facebook to me, I don't have nor want Facebook for privacy reasons alone.

If you think grabbing apks from other random websites is safer than the very existence of the Amazon Appstore on your device, then you need to reevaluate your understanding of security.
    Good point, Amazon however, is NOT the solution. Apple App Store would be, since Android is known for it's mallware.
    09-11-15 08:47 AM
    Alright let's stop it here, you are one of those people who uses their phone as a computer, great, get an iPhone. I use my phone for secure communication; call, sms, pgp email.
    Why even use a BB10 phone then? You might as well be using a BBOS phone if that's all you use it for. Are you on BES? If not then your phone isn't secure just because it says Blackberry on it.
    jaydee5799 and kbz1960 like this.
    09-11-15 09:13 AM
    I

It's not data mining?: Amazon would like to know/see: Your location (why?), Shared Files (again, why?), Contacts (again, why?), Camera (WTF?), Device Identifying Information (No just no), Phone (Why?), Microphone (WTF!?):
    Yes, I'm 'one of those' who make full use of a smartphone. I love BB10, and so far can supplement the apps I need with Android, but the outdated Runtime and lack of Google Play Services is becoming more and more of an issue. Thanks to Cobalt for providing some workarounds. I have no desire for an iPhone.

Amazon is not complete by any means, but it complements BBW very well without any downside.

Amazon actually only makes use of two permissions (which you can monitor with Permissions Manager (another Android app, yes)). Location (which is required to accommodate regional issues with app selections) and access to shared files (which allows it to save the downloaded software). It also uses a hidden permission along with many Android apps - notifications (to send notifications to HUB for indicating available updates). That's it.

Last edited by conite; 09-11-15 at 12:31 PM.
    09-11-15 09:30 AM
    Double post
    09-11-15 09:37 AM
    Hello,

If you're like me--allergic to useless Amazon icons on your BlackBerry, I may have a solution for you to get rid of Amazon, for good, no icons, no nothing.
    Of course it's baked in the system so we need to be creative and do a workaround:

Step 1: Download Darcy's BB Tool and connect to your BlackBerry.
    Step 2: Go to 'Installed Apps' and delete everything with the word 'Amazon' in it. Disconnect your BlackBerry.
    Step 3: Enable Parental Control in: Settings > Security > Parental Controls. Enable it, and set a passport you like.
    Step 4: Scroll down to the bottom and uncheck 'Amazon Apps', leave the rest as it is.

Now enjoy your Amazon-free BlackBerry. This solution is update proof.
    The good: No Amazon on your device, update proof.

*The second you disable this parental control mothod, Amazon and Amazone Store will be the first apps to cry like a little kid for your permissions to take over your phone.
    - You don't need Darcy's tools, just blocking it with Parental Controls does the same thing.
    - You can change the wallpaper while Parental Controls is on, just open the picture you want to use and "set as" wallpaper.

Posted via CB10
    Wybrem likes this.
    09-11-15 09:50 AM
    - You don't need Darcy's tools, just blocking it with Parental Controls does the same thing.
    - You can change the wallpaper while Parental Controls is on, just open the picture you want to use and "set as" wallpaper.

Posted via CB10
    He needs Dbbt to remove the icon in the first place. That's how he rolls.

09-11-15 09:52 AM
    Some people just don't like Amazon and their business practices. I can understand why he wants no sign of it on his phone. My spouse owns a bookstore, and they make owning such a real challenge.
    S Valmont likes this.
    09-11-15 09:54 AM
    He needs Dbbt to remove the icon in the first place. That's how he rolls.

Parental Controls removes the icon too.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-15 09:56 AM

Posted via CB10
    Good point. The OP may not be satisfied that it has been expunged sufficiently though.

09-11-15 09:58 AM
    I use 1mobilemarket.
    09-11-15 10:36 AM
    I use 1mobilemarket.
    Full of unvetted apks. Dangerous unless you're careful.

You should really be using Cobalt's modified Google Play Store. The apps there are as safe as they can be. Plus they're all there, with the latest versions.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=985344

mnc76, rthonpm, kbz1960 and 2 others like this.
    09-11-15 10:38 AM
    hello,

if you're like me--allergic to useless amazon icons on your blackberry, i may have a solution for you to get rid of amazon, for good, no icons, no nothing.

Step 1: Download darcy's bb tool and connect to your blackberry.
    Step 2: Go to 'installed apps' and delete everything with the word 'amazon' in it. Disconnect your blackberry.
    Step 3: Enable parental control in: Settings > security > parental controls. Enable it, and set a passport you like.
    Step 4: Scroll down to the bottom and uncheck 'amazon apps', leave the rest as it is.

Now enjoy your amazon-free blackberry. This solution is update proof.
    The good: No amazon on your device, update proof.

*the second you disable this parental control mothod, amazon and amazone store will be the first apps to cry like a little kid for your permissions to take over your phone.
    thank you!!!

I need to get rid of it asap. I use snap so no need for amazon app store...
    09-11-15 11:09 AM
    I know but I logged in to see what they had to offer me, turns out: nothing. So I had to make sure that every bit of Amazon private data was erased.

I use snap so no need for amazon app store...
    Could you maybe tell me, or send me link of that 'Snap', I don't know what it is..
    09-11-15 11:42 AM
    Why even use a BB10 phone then?
    uhh..LTE?

I don't know why the OP is getting so much grief from some of you. He didn't like something about HIS phone, so he found a way to change it. Then he was kind enough to type up a tutorial detailing what he did, for the benefit of others out there who might be like him. If that isn't you, move along.
    09-11-15 12:01 PM
    uhh..LTE?
    Bold 9900
    09-11-15 12:04 PM
    Bold 9900
    Doesn't have it. No BB prior to BB10 has LTE.
    southlander and extisis like this.
    09-11-15 12:11 PM
    09-11-15 12:18 PM
63 123