I was doing some research on web/app development and read something about iOS apps being ported to Android and did some farther research on the topic and actually found out that iOS also ports apps.

iOS gets more ported apps as Android dominance grows | Android | Geek.com

So why is it so bad for BlackBerry to run Android apps?

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 12:18 AM
    Because according to doomsayers and all the so called "neutralistas" in this forum anything BlackBerry is as bad as the plague and Apple can do no wrong. So Apple is okay to have Android ported apps.

Posted via CB on BB10
    03-02-14 12:22 AM
    Because apple don't desperately need apps per say so people don't think it's a big deal. When BlackBerry does it, it's crucial to their future plan so everyone over analyzes it and as always comes up with negatives

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 01:13 AM
    I was doing some research on web/app development and read something about iOS apps being ported to Android and did some farther research on the topic and actually found out that iOS also ports apps.

Posted via CB10
    Ported apps and android apps are two different things, ported apps become native apps on BB10, android apps remain android apps and need the android runtime to run on BB10.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    03-02-14 03:31 AM
    Ported apps and android apps are two different things, ported apps become native apps on BB10, android apps remain android apps and need the android runtime to run on BB10.

I thought ported apps could be found in our app world but aren't made for our platform unlike native apps which are made for our platform.

Posted via Z30 C0002FDEF
    03-02-14 03:37 AM
    I thought ported apps could be found in our app world but aren't made for our platform unlike native apps which are made for our platform.

Posted via Z30 C0002FDEF
    I thought ported apps are transformed into native apps hence the ported term, android apps are not. Could be wrong.

03-02-14 03:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    I think you are confused on the definition of the term ported. Android apps on BB10 haven't been ported. They are literally Android apps that BB10 is just running without the app being designed at all for BB10.

A ported app would be an app that has been originally designed on one OS and then "ported" or made to run native on another OS. Take Instagram. It was originally designed for iOS. It was then ported or made for Android by the developer. A ported app is still native, but just not originally designed for the OS.

So look at it this way, pretty much every popular BB10 app that is in BB World that isn't exclusive to BB World is a ported app. An Android app running on BB10 hasn't been ported to BB10. It's still an Android app that hasn't been designed for BB10.
    Last edited by donnation; 03-02-14 at 04:48 AM.
    Jerale Hoard, rnhld, TGR1 and 3 others like this.
    03-02-14 04:09 AM

Posted via Z30 C0002FDEF
    Any well known app in BBWorld that isn't exclusive to it like say BBTravel or BBMaps is a ported app. It's still native but was designed to run on BB10. Any android app isn't a port, meaning that it's not designed for BB10 and is just running in its Android form on BB10.

A ported app would be Flixter downloaded from BBWorld and it is native. A non ported app would be netflix downloaded from Snap which is the Android app not ported and not native.
    03-02-14 05:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    It's different because these developers while they are only porting, are actually supporting the market place of apple by putting their stuff there.

For BlackBerry you still have to find a source like snap, amazon or 1Mobile. That said most of the initial apps put into BlackBerry World were android ports and that as far as I know never heard a lot of criticism.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 10:00 AM
    It's different because these developers while they are only porting, are actually supporting the market place of apple by putting their stuff there.

For BlackBerry you still have to find a source like snap, amazon or 1Mobile. That said most of the initial apps put into BlackBerry World were android ports and that as far as I know never heard a lot of criticism.

Posted via CB10
    But apps from Snap, Amazon, and 1Mobile, aren't ported. They are just the android apps running on BB10.
    CollBERRY and BoldPreza like this.
    03-02-14 10:19 AM
    But apps from Snap, Amazon, and 1Mobile, aren't ported. They are just the android apps running on BB10.
    Sorry I liked this by accident, regardless however it's not seamless. Snap, nor amazon are official app sites for BlackBerry 10 phones as such you have to go seek them out and put them on the phone first.

Secondly Iirc there is also less of a seamless operation to updating the apps unlike with BlackBerry World.

Third the developers are not supporting the platform, in fact their apps are used in some cases without them knowing it.

That said the apps that were ported into BlackBerry World by their developers are no different than what is happening in apples ecosystem but the ones from snap and amazon and 1mobile, no those are not the same.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 04:49 PM
    Sorry I liked this by accident, regardless however it's not seamless. Snap, nor amazon are official app sites for BlackBerry 10 phones as such you have to go seek them out and put them on the phone first.

Secondly Iirc there is also less of a seamless operation to updating the apps unlike with BlackBerry World.

Third the developers are not supporting the platform, in fact their apps are used in some cases without them knowing it.

That said the apps that were ported into BlackBerry World by their developers are no different than what is happening in apples ecosystem but the ones from snap and amazon and 1mobile, no those are not the same.

Posted via CB10
    That's exactly what I said.
    03-02-14 04:50 PM
    That's exactly what I said.
    Lol so we are in agreement then.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 04:52 PM
    Lol so we are in agreement then.

Posted via CB10
    Lol yes we are.
    03-02-14 04:53 PM
    BTW WP are planing to sideload APK too.

Posted on my flagship Z30 10.2.1.2141
    03-02-14 05:07 PM
    LOL at this thread. LOL
    richardat and mikeo007 like this.
    03-02-14 05:12 PM
    [email protected]..
    talking about???

An app is written by a Dev. In whatever environment it was written in - C++, Java, Qt - the final product is a source code. This source code can be packaged and signed to run on any device that that Dev, or group of Devs feels like. Whether it makes it to an app store is irrelevant. That this source code can be packaged - which I'm assuming the term "port" is being implied to mean - for any specific device doesn't mean that app was written for that specific device.
    Are you saying that because the UI isn't device specific, that that means the app wasn't developed for say a BlackBerry, or that it wasn't intended to run on another device??? So....you think a game like..ummmm, C.O.D. was specifically meant to run ONLY on let's say a PS4, and that it was ported to WiiU and XBox???

Wow...

Posted via CB10
    canuckvoip likes this.
    03-02-14 05:13 PM
    AFAIK, that is conjecture. I don't claim to know MSFT's inner workings, but I doubt it will happen; I think MSFT sees just what negative things a runtime can bring.

I've ben wrong before though.
    03-02-14 05:15 PM
    Turns out BlackBerry isn't the only one to have ported apps from other vendors-mockit_02032014161411.jpg

Until they do, I'll continue to use something else.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    03-02-14 05:17 PM
    Hey nice sweater!!! Thanks, I bought it at banana republic. Oh, I have a similar one from the gap. Yeah probably made in same place, sometimes they change the fit slightly or the fabric blend , other times it's identical. Oh hey,there's another guy with the same sweater! Hey where did you get yours? Oh, I bought mine from a guy in the alley behind 8th - he takes them out the backdoor of the gap.

Aside from functional differences, the ethical difference is that one was obtained as intended by the creator. That entity meant for YOU to use it, the way you're using it, and through the distribution he choose. In today's world , where just about anything intellectual that you create can be stolen far more easily than ever before - words, web content, photos, ideas, info, art, code, music, video, etc. - this question of ethics is more relevant than ever before.

On a functional level apps not ported by a properly authorized party may not function as well, will lack support, may cause hardship for others by taking up infrastructure resources, may take awasy from sales of the app(through a few different mechanisms), and may create security issues for both parties. One example of there last two is that recently a large company(especially compared to app developing outfits) botched the launch of a critical messaging so they hoped could save the company potentially. The company claimed it was due to people using a well known but unofficial leaked version.

Of course the situation and reaction will vary individually. That's also part of the problem. These are only a few of the differences, and reasons why this is an issue, or as you say "bad". I think bb is fortunate here to be a non player. Frankly, I suspect the big boys see them as a charity case now. Were android, iOS, or maybe even win phone doing this to each other, I suspect fur would be flying.
    Mecca EL and mikeo007 like this.
    03-02-14 05:54 PM
    AFAIK, that is conjecture. I don't claim to know MSFT's inner workings, but I doubt it will happen; I think MSFT sees just what negative things a runtime can bring.

I've ben wrong before though.
    Here is some info
    http://m.windowscentral.com/microsof...-windows-phone

Turns out BlackBerry isn't the only one to have ported apps from other vendors-img_20140302_195339.png

03-02-14 05:55 PM
    More info
    http://m.androidcentral.com/microsof...-windows-phone

Turns out BlackBerry isn't the only one to have ported apps from other vendors-img_20140302_201627.png

03-02-14 06:17 PM

"Considering" and "could" does not equal "planning". It is not set in stone and is conjecture. You are misinterpreting the words of the article to make it seem like a surefire thing.

Personally, I think this would be a horrible decision from Microsoft. This is not because of Windows Phone so much because the move was considered as a wider Windows strategy including Windows desktop OS. PC app compatibility is one of Microsoft's remaining bargaining chips.
    03-02-14 06:28 PM
    Nope just mentioning that it was said. No statement intended.

The thing is all platforms are looking to stay competitive and gain market share.

Mecca EL likes this.
    03-02-14 06:34 PM
    Are you saying that because the UI isn't device specific, that that means the app wasn't developed for say a BlackBerry, or that it wasn't intended to run on another device??? So....you think a game like..ummmm, C.O.D. was specifically meant to run ONLY on let's say a PS4, and that it was ported to WiiU and XBox???
    No, that's not what's being said. What is being said is that there's a difference between one the one hand, a PS4 game being ported to Xbox, and on the other hand, Microsoft releasing a software update that allows games released for the PS4 to also run on the Xbox. The former is a port and is what happens when an Android app is ported to iOS, or vice versa. The latter is more like a hack, and is what happened when BBRY decided to support Android apps on PlayBook and BB10. Remember, this decision was an attempt by BBRY to address the fact that many developers were ignoring the PlayBook and later BB10; had those developers been porting apps all long, Android app compatibility would not have been necessary.
    03-02-14 06:36 PM
26 12