After extensive searching, I haven't found a similar guide posted, so I'll go ahead and put it out there.

So, you wanna hear your kid's voice everytime you get a BBM? Or maybe hear your dog bark at an SMS message? Well let me guide all you CrackBerrians in the ways of Voice Note modification. We'll go ahead and use the youngen example. Tools required:

1) Any BB with Voice Notes Recorder
    2) FileScout - Found here: FileScout Homepage - a file manager Software for BlackBerry® Devices with OS 4.3 or higher
    3) A sound effect maker... Such as your youngen.

And here is the step-by-step:

1) Record your desired sound using Voice Note Recorder and save with an easy to remember name. This example uses "VN".
    2) Open FileScout and browse to SDCard->BlackBerry->voicenotes.
    3) Highlight desired Voice Note (in this example, its "VN.amr).
    4) Now go to Options(BBKey)->Rename "VN.amr" and change the ".amr" to ".mp3". So "VN.amr" becomes "VN.mp3". (These two file formats are nearly identical and will require no extra conversion. In fact, the file is only renamed for the stability of the OS.)
    5) Now, with the file still highlighted, hit Options->Put "VN.mp3" (or whatever you named the file) on vClipboard. Please note that if the file name is too long, you won't see this option, it'll be the 6th from the top, or the first one after the first separator.
    6) Hit the back key (to the right of the trackball/pad), then browse to ringtones.
    7) Once there, hit Options->Move "VN.mp3" to "ringtones".
    8) Now, enter the settings for your alerts, and change what ever the setting is to "VN.mp3" and enjoy your custom alert.

Reply to this thread or BBM me if you have any questions, or just to say thanks.
    09-10-09 05:46 AM
    there is no need for all those extra steps.

1. open the voice recorder
    2. record
    3. rename (optional)
    4. highlight newly made recording and press BB key and choose "set as ring tone"
    5. open whatever contact you want to add this ringtone to...
    6. choose custom ringtone and pick the voice notes folder to find your ringtone.

no need to rename file extensions.
    09-10-09 06:51 AM

2. record
    3. rename (optional)
    4. highlight newly made recording and press BB key and choose "set as ring tone"
    6. choose custom ringtone and pick the voice notes folder to find your ringtone.

My instructions allow the user to create custom alerts, as well as ringtones. Alerts being for SMS, MMS, BBM, etc.
    09-10-09 01:21 PM
    I called someone and instead of it ringing it was them talking saying "hold on I'm coming to the phone" etc. I know there is ringback tones but this wasn't music and it was his voice. How did he do that??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-09 02:32 PM
    It was a RingBack tone offered by his carrier. It works similar to RingTones, its just assigned by the carrier.
    09-10-09 08:34 PM

2. record
    3. rename (optional)

Where do I find the voice note folder? When I select custom ringtone...it gives me media card and pre loaded ringtones....
    09-11-09 09:22 AM
    The voice note folder is located on the media card. Go to media card then Blackberry and you will see voicenotes along with pictures, audio, video......

09-11-09 01:08 PM
    But how did he make the ringback tone his own voice?

09-11-09 01:16 PM
    The voice note folder is located on the media card. Go to media card then Blackberry and you will see voicenotes along with pictures, audio, video......

When I hit custom though all that comes up is 2 selections..My Music and Preloaded rings...it doesn't even give me Media card to select....
    09-12-09 09:35 AM
    When I hit custom though all that comes up is 2 selections..My Music and Preloaded rings...it doesn't even give me Media card to select....
    From what I remember, go to your preloaded rings and at the top is Browse. Go there and you should be able to browse all your BB folders.
    09-12-09 09:53 AM
    Excellant discussion on generated tones for alerts................
    09-12-09 11:37 AM
    From what I remember, go to your preloaded rings and at the top is Browse. Go there and you should be able to browse all your BB folders.

Nope...Browse is in custom ringtones....which when I select takes me to my music folder no other choices. Preloaded ringtones does not have browse...just preloaded ringtones
    09-13-09 06:52 AM
    Nope...Browse is in custom ringtones....which when I select takes me to my music folder no other choices. Preloaded ringtones does not have browse...just preloaded ringtones
    When you are in your music folder, scroll down until you see the Voice Notes folder.

Here is what happens when I try this.

Address Book
    Select Contact
    Edit
    Add Custom Ringtone
    Browse(this gets me to the list of preloaded ringtones)
    Browse(this opens a window that lists all my music folders)
    Scroll down to the Voice Notes folder
    Select this folder and all your Voice Notes should be listed.
    09-13-09 10:22 AM
    When you are in your music folder, scroll down until you see the Voice Notes folder.

Here is what happens when I try this.

Address Book
    Select Contact
    Edit
    Add Custom Ringtone
    Browse(this gets me to the list of preloaded ringtones)
    Browse(this opens a window that lists all my music folders)
    Scroll down to the Voice Notes folder
    Select this folder and all your Voice Notes should be listed.

Not seeing all these things....This is what I am doing...Maybe I am doing it wrong. I go to address book, select contact I want to custom ring tone, select custom ring tone and hit browse...there is only 2 folders my music and preloaded ring tones..I select my music and now there is 1 folder sys...it is empty inside and then the list of all my songs. No voice recorder folder...
    09-13-09 10:39 AM
    Not seeing all these things....This is what I am doing...Maybe I am doing it wrong. I go to address book, select contact I want to custom ring tone, select custom ring tone and hit browse...there is only 2 folders my music and preloaded ring tones..I select my music and now there is 1 folder sys...it is empty inside and then the list of all my songs. No voice recorder folder...
    this whats happening to me. It did not happen before, only since I upgraded OS recently. Very discouraging! any help?
    09-17-09 09:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD