hi, i'm new here and I just got a bold for Christmas but I can't figure out how to turn off the screen to put it in my pocket.

Thx n advnz
    12-27-08 04:29 PM
    Hit the mute key on the top left of the Bold. It will put in on standby mode.
    12-27-08 04:30 PM
    Hold the mute button at the top or lock the screen. Welcome to CB!
    12-27-08 04:31 PM
    Wow! A mute button on the top... that did a pretty fade to black.

When I turn it on, it wants me to press the mute again to get it out of standby mode. What is the difference between standby mode and just letting it turn itself off?

I heard there the slip case is magnetized to shut it off, what does that do?
    12-27-08 04:45 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry, Bro.

Go back and check the packing, there is leather holster with a sleeper magnet in the box. The magnet puts it into standby when holstered. Besides, nobody turns off a BlackBerry, it's a 7/24 World.

The plastic is a little soft and subject to wear. The holster will keep it shiny new for years.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 12-27-08 at 08:46 PM.
    12-27-08 04:46 PM
    Thanks for being nice to the newb...

but, you know me bro, I'll need an OtterBox to give mine any chance of staying shiny!

Time for me to do the upgrade to the new beta and see what I can break now. ;o)
    Last edited by Happy Dragon; 12-27-08 at 06:08 PM.
    12-27-08 05:08 PM
    Wow! A mute button on the top... that did a pretty fade to black.

When I turn it on, it wants me to press the mute again to get it out of standby mode. What is the difference between standby mode and just letting it turn itself off?
    If you just let the screen time out, the phone can "wake up" with the press of any button. If you have speed dial keys, that can be pretty bad, as you might be doing a lot of "pocket dialing". Or, you might be taking a lot of pictures unintentionally.

The mute key is a lot harder to press, since it is on top of the phone and it is flush with the body.
    12-27-08 05:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD