Because they don't have the unions we do in North America.

Standard knowledge that we demand more wages in North America that means less profit for the company so they go where it's cheaper to make them so that they can make more money, commonsense is how business works.

Edit: paying off the Unions is where a LOT of $ goes. GM supposedly loses around $4,000 per vehicle on union fees. Toyota doesn't have or need a union, nor does WestJet in Canada and these are very profitable companies.

And actually Apple was accused of paying inadequate wages in the past.

Attachment 415955
    You're saying the unions in the USA and/or Canada are stronger than in Germany or the other parts of Europe? Really? Maybe back in the 70's.. No, probably not then either...
    01-17-17 12:40 PM
    You're saying the unions in the USA and/or Canada are stronger than in Germany or the other parts of Europe? Really? Maybe back in the 70's.. No, probably not then either...
    Germany and Switzerland DON'T "manufacture pretty much everything".

The Swiss barely make anything themselves other than watches and chemicals. The Germans do somewhat more (they have the toughest unions in the world) but their corporations still build plenty of stuff outside Germany.

BMW builds cars in Brazil, South Carolina, China, Mexico, Malaysia, Thailand, South Africa, Indonesia, etc ...
    01-17-17 02:11 PM
    US dollar would have to crash for inflation to blow up (or a huge rise in the oil price)

The US has been printing $$$$ like crazy for the past few years (so has Japan & the EU). That usually causes inflation but the rest of the world has shown an insatiable hunger for US dollars which soaks up the demand.

If the US economy takes a bad nosedive and the US gov't debt payments (& U.S. gov't bonds) start looking shaky, there could be bad inflation trouble.

The inflation in the late '70s up to 1982 was caused by the price of oil quadrupling. No substitute for oil, so everyone had to pay, and it automatically drove up the prices of everything else, hence the inflation.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 01-17-17 at 02:40 PM.
    01-17-17 02:13 PM
    US dollar would have to crash for inflation to blow up (or a huge rise in the oil price)

It's true the US has been printing $$$$ like crazy for the past few years (so has Japan & the EU). That usually causes inflation but the rest of the world has shown an insatiable hunger for US dollars which soaks up the demand.

If the US economy takes a bad nosedive and the US gov't debt payments (& U.S. gov't bonds) start looking shaky, there could be bad inflation trouble.

The inflation in the late '70s up to 1982 was caused by the price of oil quadrupling. No substitute for oil, so everyone had to pay, and it automatically drove up the prices of everything else, hence the inflation.
    My comment was specifically to your statement of the strength of unions primarily in Germany vs USA...
    01-17-17 02:36 PM
    My comment was specifically to your statement of the strength of unions primarily in Germany vs USA...
    Unions are unions, and I answered that Germany has some of the strongest unions. If you can't put the pieces together I can't help you.

EDIT: but if you want to get into protectionism in the USA then that's another story and also related.....
    01-17-17 02:40 PM
    Unions are unions, and I answered that Germany has some of the strongest unions. If you can't put the pieces together I can't help you.
    Originally, I was commenting to first statement of your post. My second post was saying that I wasn't commenting on any other part of your post. Look forward to Friday, we have only four more days of division and BS Chicago politics. A Reagan Renaissance if you will.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    01-17-17 02:53 PM
    Since i cant delete posts because its a POS and broke right now this will just get closed since its so far off the topic at hand its not worth it,
    shaleem likes this.
    01-17-17 03:16 PM
57 123