I have a BB 8130 (Pearl) and the other day i needed a flashlight so i flipped on the video camera light. It occured to me that this would be a pretty cool little app to use your bb as a flashlight with this. I figured someone must have already done this though right? When i went searching though, i found that the only flashlight apps are ones that give you a white screen... This works fine i suppose but does anyone know if there is an app that takes advantage of the really bright light that comes already installed...this would be a cool app i think.
    05-29-08 05:49 AM
    The real flashlight is with the camera. Do not buy the application not worth it.
    05-29-08 06:26 AM
    Same here. I just made my left shortcut key my videocamera key. That way I hit it in the dark and BAM, I've got light!

Dm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-08 07:35 AM
    Does anyone know if these lights have been known to burn out from overuse?

05-29-08 10:29 AM
    Does anyone know if these lights have been known to burn out from overuse?

05-29-08 10:37 AM
    What options are there for the Curve? Besides useing the screen. It does suck that there is no video options on the Curve.
    05-29-08 11:13 AM
    some of those 'flashlight' apps have... time limits. this disturbs me greatly. I don't care if 30 minutes is more than enough time, charging a couple extra $$ for another half hour? Or being timed, period... I just... unless for some crazy a** reason this is forced by the OS or something... yeah. I better stop now
    05-29-08 01:35 PM
    i also assigned the left side button to the video camera as a flashlight. it does have a time limit though, seems to only stay one for about 30 seconds if you dont press record.
    There is no need to worry about burning out the light, it is just a high power led.
    05-29-08 02:50 PM
    pretty cool
    05-29-08 02:57 PM
    Aww. At least you guys have a "video" light. I dont have video on my Curve so I have to keep snapping pictures to get down the dark stairs. LOL!
    05-29-08 03:15 PM
    There are no apps that use the video light as a flashlight because RIM has not released an API around that hardware so there is no way to control it programmatically. I wrote my own app that uses the status LED light which is actually surprisingly bright when set to white and has very low battery consumption. I use it for hours whilst backpacking.
    05-29-08 04:33 PM
    There are no apps that use the video light as a flashlight because RIM has not released an API around that hardware so there is no way to control it programmatically. I wrote my own app that uses the status LED light which is actually surprisingly bright when set to white and has very low battery consumption. I use it for hours whilst backpacking.
    Mind sharing that with us?
    05-29-08 05:53 PM
    I don't really mind, no, but aren't there apps out there that already do this?
    05-29-08 06:50 PM
    Nice idea!!!!
    05-29-08 07:10 PM
    I haven't seen one...I'll try tours though : )

05-29-08 07:11 PM
    Nice idea!!!!
    You didnt agree with me this time! Oh maybe because I didnt respond to this thread. LOL
    05-29-08 07:13 PM
    Please PM me if you are interested in testing this out. I've never actually "released" anything for the Blackberry before so no promises since all I have are Pearl series phones. :-p
    05-29-08 11:18 PM
    Hey Zav, your B:ight app works great on my 8330 running 4.3.0.127. The choice between the bright white/blue and red was a nice touch!

Please PM me if you are interested in testing this out. I've never actually "released" anything for the Blackberry before so no promises since all I have are Pearl series phones. :-p
    06-03-08 10:14 PM
    What options are there for the Curve? Besides useing the screen. It does suck that there is no video options on the Curve.
    The 8310 doesnt have video options? o.O
    I have the 8330 and it has the video options. I use the light on it all the time. I didn't think something like that varied from carrier-to-carrier.
    06-03-08 10:50 PM
    I would LOVE to have that app! Upload, pwease?

06-03-08 11:22 PM
    i also assigned the left side button to the video camera as a flashlight. it does have a time limit though, seems to only stay one for about 30 seconds if you dont press record.
    There is no need to worry about burning out the light, it is just a high power led.

My fix is to keep pressing the volume keys... This usually keeps the light going....
    06-04-08 12:02 AM
    Just FYI, not all curves are created equal. The verizon curve has video recording, and thus you can use it as a flashlight. I like the idea of setting video recorder as the shortcut. Good one devnull!
    06-04-08 12:29 AM
    Just FYI, not all curves are created equal. The verizon curve has video recording, and thus you can use it as a flashlight. I like the idea of setting video recorder as the shortcut. Good one devnull!
    You can make them equal like I did... 4.5 rocks!
    06-04-08 01:19 AM
    Aww. At least you guys have a "video" light. I dont have video on my Curve so I have to keep snapping pictures to get down the dark stairs. LOL!
    My curve has video.

You should have gone with the right carrier.

I'm on OS 4.3 and I still have video with a free flashlight

10-23-08 10:02 AM
    4.5 code gives the ability to do video recording
    10-23-08 10:18 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD