They are VERY close, but HSPA is a little faster, HOWEVER Verizon has MUCH better coverage area. On the plus side for HSPA you can do voice and data at the same time.

Bottomline for me is that the Verizon coverage is better AND call quality is better. Less dropped calls, I almost never drop a call.
    But of course this isn't important, because AT&T has the I-diot Phone!
    04-04-09 09:42 PM
    But of course this isn't important, because AT&T has the I-diot Phone!
    Good one...
    04-04-09 09:45 PM
    Last I heard you smoked crack daily. Is it true?

surely, you jest. Try actually researching at some point. Technically, the speeds are about the same. Nice try, however!
    Currently Rev.A maxes out at 3.1Mbps with no intention's of going higher.

Currently HSPA maxes out at 3.6Mbps with intentions of being 7.2Mbps by the end of this year.

Truth.
    Last edited by sniffs; 04-04-09 at 11:00 PM.
    04-04-09 10:57 PM
    I've had T-Mobile, Nextel, Sprint and now AT&T. Out of those, ATT is BY FAR the slowest network I've ever used. We don't even have 3G up here yet!!!
    If you dont get ATT 3G, and you're stuck in 2G, of course the others will be faster.. Their entire CDMA network is 3G along with every one of their devices.
    04-04-09 10:58 PM
    Yes I have read about this, but I do not think you are as fast you think are.

I actually heard part of this reason is that the Iphones are network hogs and kill the ATT network. Just one more reason VZW did not take the this device.

I will give in that it is a nice feature to do both data and voice.
    The iPhone is totally capable of HSPA, it's quote as having it on Apple.com, but ATT has it restricted at the moment and you wont ever see those speeds until they get their congestion in control.
    Last edited by sniffs; 04-04-09 at 11:01 PM.
    04-04-09 10:59 PM

Currently HSPA maxes out at 3.6Mbps with intentions of being 7.2Mbps by the end of this year.

Truth.
    Where do you get these ideas? the max speed is the max speed. It's a limitation of the technology. If they get anything faster it wont be HSPA anymore. And BTW parts of the VZW network will have LTE (comparable to home broadband speeds) a full year and a half before AT&T even starts building theirs.
    04-05-09 01:16 AM
    Att may say they are the fastest or whatever, heck they may technically be, (3.5 v. 2.8 or whatever, I don't know that part, doubt that too) but a network is only as fast as it's devices that bog it down.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-09 04:52 AM
    Where do you get these ideas? the max speed is the max speed. It's a limitation of the technology. If they get anything faster it wont be HSPA anymore. And BTW parts of the VZW network will have LTE (comparable to home broadband speeds) a full year and a half before AT&T even starts building theirs.
    What are you talking about? So you are telling me that if their speeds go any higher than 3.6Mbps (if that is the current speed it is at right now), than it wont be HSPA anymore? 3.6 is not this technologies limitation. I'm sorry HSPA is true 3.5G. Why does this only seem unbelievable to people on the Verizon network? You may have "the network" with the most coverage, but not the fastest speeds.
    Last edited by avt123; 04-05-09 at 11:32 AM.
    04-05-09 11:29 AM
    Att may say they are the fastest or whatever, heck they may technically be, (3.5 v. 2.8 or whatever, I don't know that part, doubt that too) but a network is only as fast as it's devices that bog it down.

My speeds aren't "bogged" down one bit.
    04-05-09 11:31 AM

Which is why we're working on LTE (4g tech). It CAN'T go any faster in Rev A. It's reached it's limits.

They'll have to build an entire new network for that kind of speed, and good luck with that one, considering their current one sucks. I'm still trying to figure out why AT&T didn't learn when they screwed up AT&T Wireless years ago.

Truth.
    Wrong.
    04-05-09 07:12 PM
    Which is why we're working on LTE (4g tech). It CAN'T go any faster in Rev A. It's reached it's limits.

They'll have to build an entire new network for that kind of speed, and good luck with that one, considering their current one sucks. I'm still trying to figure out why AT&T didn't learn when they screwed up AT&T Wireless years ago.

Wrong.
    ATT does not have to build a new network to bump speeds up on their 3G network..do some research
    i seriously think VZW puts something in their phones..why is it only VZW users who are willing to go to any length to convince everybody else that VZW is the greatest company ever created??
    04-05-09 08:20 PM
    Actually an independent test of the major markets that had AT&T compared to Verizon and Sprint showed Sprint had the fastest network on average. Yes HSPA could theoretically do 3.6 Mbps, and eventually 7.2 Mpbs, but you have to take into account things like oversubscription and the actual pipe from the phone network to the Internet. Since AT&T is still rolling out, they are probably increasing these pipes as needed to be as cost effective as possible during the rollout. They had to delay rolling out the bold because the network was being destroyed by the iPhone data usage at first.

I'm sure AT&T will get there and I'm glad that you guys are finally getting 3G speeds that Sprint and Verizon users have had for a long time. Sprint and Verizon are rolling out WiMax and LTE currently which are 4G. We'll see how that goes as Sprint is already missing rollout targets though for WiMax.

Anyway all the carriers are probably looking for a way to save money. AT&T may have floated this to see what happened. Sprint put a 5 GB cap on "unlimited data"...
    04-05-09 09:28 PM
    Sorry you can't go faster. And congrats on getting an LTE network first.

Wrong.
    There you go, you said it yourself. Lol need to build an entirely new network? You might want to check your sources on that one. Why does their current network suck? Because it's not Verizons? Please.
    04-05-09 10:46 PM
    Sorry to detract from the idiotic banter of whose connection is better than whose, but has anyone here successfully gotten out of their contract without paying an ETF? I'm on mobile so I don't feel like scrolling through all the posts.

I've been looking for an excuse to get off contract with att and switch to tmobile. If I can do it without paying an ETF well that's just awesome.

04-05-09 11:17 PM
    switch to t-mobile...?
    04-06-09 01:41 AM

Wrong.
    Uh.. What type of drugs are you smoking? All of the ATT router's can be firmware flashed to support the higher speeds. I've had 1 on 1 conversations, face to face with their corporate data technicians.

All your info = gotten from the internets.

All my info = gotten directly from the mouth's of ATT themselves.
    04-06-09 09:41 AM
    The only way Verizon will get faster speeds is rolling out a completely new LTE network.

The first and quickest way ATT will get faster speeds is by putting up more 3G towers and flashing their routers with updated firmware. Doesn't require ANY new hardware other than the 3G towers themselves.

Thanks, please drive through.
    04-06-09 09:44 AM
    Yeah, well my Johnson is bigger than your Johnson. My car is faster than your car. My dog could beat your dog in a fight...

The multitude of variables involved in "your speed" are numberous: radio transmission method, phone model, signal strength, distance from tower, number of users per tower, type of use conducted on that tower at that time, ad infinitum. While your provider's radio communication technology does matter, it doesn't matter as much as so many other factors when in combination; we aren't testing in a laboratory environment. Example: Try using your phone while in the stadium at the Superbowl during half time... it won't matter who's network you're paying mothly dues to, your performance will suck large (I've done it, so I know).

So you might as well argue that your mom makes better cookies than someone else's mom.
    04-06-09 10:07 AM
    It's not a limitation of the technology. Remember, we(at least I do, not sure where you live) live in capitalist America.. We dont even have 100Mbps internet yet.

You think ATT will push out 7.2Mbps right now? Nah, they dont even have a full 3G networkyet.

HSPA can reach 20Mbps and higher.. It's not a technology limitation, it's a software limitation.
    04-06-09 10:13 AM
    Uh.. What type of drugs are you smoking? All of the ATT router's can be firmware flashed to support the higher speeds. I've had 1 on 1 conversations, face to face with their corporate data technicians.
    How cute. They lied to you and you bit into it.

All your info = gotten from the internets.
    All my info= pure fact that has nothing to do with the internet.

All my info = gotten directly from the mouth's of ATT themselves.
    How cute. Too bad that if you add the collective IQ's of everyone at AT&T it's still in negative numbers.
    04-07-09 10:20 AM
    How cute. They lied to you and you bit into it.

All my info= pure fact that has nothing to do with the internet.

How cute. Too bad that if you add the collective IQ's of everyone at AT&T it's still in negative numbers.
    Too bad you are still wrong. All your information is not fact, it's false.

04-07-09 10:28 AM
    no, you're just a moron.
    04-07-09 10:46 AM
    no, you're just a moron.
    Ah, insults.. got to love lowering yourself to that of the prepube's.

Anyways, I'm done arguing with stupidity. You can believe all you want.. I remember when I first got on the internet also.. I believed anything I read. Besides, multiple people on this site have confirmed what I've said.

You really don't understand the relationships that big corporations have do you? When a company as large as mine has a contract with ATT, Verizon or any other carrier.. they will bend over backwards to do things for you.(me being the one who manages the account)

They want your business.. When you get the technicians/engineers involved in these talks, you get to take the gloves off and get real information. Not from the marketing sales people who lie to get your business.

Do you get all your information from The Onion? or The Inquirer or something?
    Last edited by sniffs; 04-07-09 at 11:11 AM.
    04-07-09 11:00 AM
    no, you're just a moron.
    Keep telling yourself that. Ill keep enjoying my faster speeds.

04-07-09 11:05 AM
    Haha! I just noticed you're a Verizon tech.. that's so typical..now it ALL makes sense.

Verizon really does lie to it's corporate customers to get their business.

I remember when Verizon tried to spoon feed me on how awesome the Storm was, I could see it in their eyes, their smug little "the Storm is better than anything else" eyes, even though in reality they knew it was going to suck. Do they make you take "stupid" pills before you clock in or something?

Verizon does have one thing going for them.. seems like they pay the sales people super well. Driving expensive BMW's, nice suits, expensive watches.. they pay them a ton of money to lie to customers, that's awesome.

Just goes to show you what marketing can do.. Verizon could market a turd with the word "Storm 2" on it and people would probably line up in droves to buy it.
    Last edited by sniffs; 04-07-09 at 11:12 AM.
    04-07-09 11:08 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD