This is no different then when 3G was deployed. CDMA evolved to higher speeds and capabilities (revB would have been final piece for true 3G), 2G GSM did too. The first Wimax and the first LTE systems installed will be the groundwork for 4G, Wimax2 and LTE Advanced. Getting the OFDM hardware (LTE and Wimax are similar enough and the same hardware is capable of supporting both, in fact first LTE test were Wimax hardware running different software) in place and it will be upgraded with software to higher speeds and capabilities. Problem with TMobile is that their "4G" will never be true 4g (not OFDM), just souped up 3G.
    11-11-10 09:38 AM
    Um, why are people making such a HUGE deal about speed? I always took 3G and 4G to simply mean the xth generation of the network. Are people really that confused? It didn't really become a major deal until 3G because Verizon essentially had their newest technology at pretty much all of their towers whereas AT&T didn't. That's why Verizon made a big deal about it. However AT&T is still trying to downplay their older network by saying they cover so many people.
    11-11-10 02:28 PM
    Mark Venture that was a great post! And your absolutely right, it has nothing to do with technology, or the specifications of such and such frequencies, or the download and upload data rates... its purely about marketing and making money.
    11-11-10 02:35 PM
    Hey friends I am on Blackberry 9300 with PYAG and I had read your article, From last few month I was waiting for the dynamic4G mobile and after did little bit research on internet found something like my choice, hey friends what do say about HTC Evo 4G?
    please give me reply I am wondering for change and confused between BB torch or Evo 4G .
    11-12-10 08:26 AM
    Hey friends I am on Blackberry 9300 with PYAG and I had read your article, From last few month I was waiting for the dynamic4G mobile and after did little bit research on internet found something like my choice, hey friends what do say about HTC Evo 4G?
    please give me reply I am wondering for change and confused between BB torch or Evo 4G .
    It really depends where you live, if you don't live where 4g is really fast then $10 extra per month is a joke. I have found some places where its extremely fast & others where 3g is actually faster, I highly recommend asking around where you live & don't bother asking a phone rep, they will always tell you its awesome

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-10 10:00 AM
    That's the way it is typically used in the mobile industry too, as far as gsm you would have:

gsm - 2g
    gprs/edge - 2.5g
    umts - 3g
    hsdpa/hsupa/etc - 3.5g
    wimax/lte - 4g
    That's slightly wrong

gsm-gsm jus calls and sms, no internet
    gprs-2g
    edge-2.5g
    11-14-10 05:32 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD