I've been trying to use my AT&T 8820 on the NJIT (New Jersey Institute of Technology) school Wi-Fi network. I'm able to use the network on my MacBook, iPod touch, and even a loaned AT&T 8525 but for some reason the 8820 doesn't load pages. When you connect with the laptop or iPod the browser displays a pop-up window where you can enter your student ID and password, after which you can browser as normal. The BB connects to the Wi-Fi network alright but when I try and load a page on the browser one of three things happens:

1. A pop-up appears but no matter how many times I enter the correct username and password, it repeatedly asks me to enter them again.

2. A message pops up saying "A communication failure as occured. The server may be busy"

3. A message pops up saying "This is a Wi-Fi service, make sure you have an active Wi-Fi connection".

I'm using my 8820 with OS 4.5 just fine at home and on every other Wi-Fi network with no problems except for this one. I have no data plan so I have the default browser set to Hotspot Browser with Javascript pop-ups allowed.
    12-03-08 04:16 PM
    I've been trying to use my AT&T 8820 on the NJIT (New Jersey Institute of Technology) school Wi-Fi network. I'm able to use the network on my MacBook, iPod touch, and even a loaned AT&T 8525 but for some reason the 8820 doesn't load pages. When you connect with the laptop or iPod the browser displays a pop-up window where you can enter your student ID and password, after which you can browser as normal. The BB connects to the Wi-Fi network alright but when I try and load a page on the browser one of three things happens:

1. A pop-up appears but no matter how many times I enter the correct username and password, it repeatedly asks me to enter them again.

2. A message pops up saying "A communication failure as occured. The server may be busy"

3. A message pops up saying "This is a Wi-Fi service, make sure you have an active Wi-Fi connection".

I'm using my 8820 with OS 4.5 just fine at home and on every other Wi-Fi network with no problems except for this one. I have no data plan so I have the default browser set to Hotspot Browser with Javascript pop-ups allowed.
    The network at your school is secured meaning any smartphone isn't allowed to connect to it!! however if the network ask for a password like your mac then enter your password. However though any open network your bb or smartphone will be able to access the net!!!
    01-01-09 11:25 AM
    Do you have to register devices on the network first before you can log on? I remember when I was in college device MAC addresses had to be registered first.
    01-01-09 11:36 AM
    Assuming you have configured your browser setting appropriately, that can happen when using restrictive-network internet. Schools that require usernames and passwords seem to have this trouble. I personally have experienced this numerous times. While you can't necessarily stop it from happening, understand that your device won't be able to use Wi-Fi service UNTIL you are able to connect through the username/password screen.

Even if the Wi-Fi network's name appears up by your carrier, you need to get yourself signed into the network before your device will be able to allocate Wi-Fi.

I know this does not directly solve your problem, but it's something that took me awhile to figure out. Your device will not receive Wi-Fi until you are able to log into the network via username/password. Even if you want to use the Wi-Fi for something other than the browser... you still have to log on using the browser first.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
    02-07-09 12:50 AM
    @jcozzitorto ... Did you find a solution for this ? I am having the same problem with my bb8900 here at campus
    10-13-09 05:02 PM
    is there a solution to this I also go to NJIT and I am having the same problem with my 8900
    10-20-09 10:20 AM
    I'm a technician for the IT dept at my college. We run cisco clean access in both client software for pc's and in java for the macs students have as they don't support the client.

Iphones and other smartphones don't support the specific javascript being run and actually put the device ina network quarantine mode for 2hrs. Seems that it thinks its a possible hack or something like that.

I would assume that your college runs something simlar to verify if the device that's trying to connect has no viruses and has active protection (which is the purpose of clean access). For instances like this it is impossible to use the wifi at your school or my school since they don't have a mobile optimized script yet. I know cisco is workin on a client for smartphones. Give it some time

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-09 10:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD