I read a lot of posts on here about people having trouble with rude phone sales associates trying to sell them different devices than the ones that they said they want. So at a BBQ this weekend I decided to ask my cousin, a sales associate for an AT&T store that my Uncle manages about her perspective on it.

I asked if she ever tried to persuade people to get an iPhone or Galaxy when they came in asking about other phones and she said basically that she tries to steer people towards any phone that lots of people have, namely right now: iPhone 5, S4, One, Note 2 (her personal daily rider), etc.

When I asked why, she said that it was simply because she didn't want that person coming in angry the next day because they couldn't figure it out. With the popular phones, people ask their friends, or find many people on the internet that know what they're doing and get help that way. For phones like the Lumias or a BB10 device that are more of a niche product it's harder for the general public to find someone they know that also has one to tell them what they're doing wrong. Therefore, they come back to the store, and people are much more belligerent asking a phone associate about a phone they just bought from the same associate than they are their friends.

I then told her about some of the stories I've read here where someone specifically asked for a Z10 or Q10 and were told they should get something else. She said she's never done that, but she knows some sales associates would simply because they're weary about giving a niche device to someone unless they're absolutely sure that's what they want. So they make absolutely sure that that is the product they want to avoid them coming back in the store or blaming the carrier when they can't figure it out.

She personally doesn't care if you come in and want a BlackBerry or a Windows Phone if you ask for it. But the vast majority of customers who walk in aren't like those of us on the forum. They come in without reading anything, knowing they need to upgrade, and wanting a phone that will work. She's not going to put a product with limited apps and a steeper learning curve into a customer's hands if they don't ask for it, otherwise that same customer will come back in a week, angry at her for recommending it when they can't watch Netflix or play Candy Crush and they can't figure out how to check their email.

I understand this mentality perfectly. My Mom's last upgrade she wanted a smart phone with a horizontal slider keyboard, so we got her the HTC Arrive, a Windows Slider. She's now mad at me because all her friends play Candy Crush on their phones and she has to do it on Facebook. She doesn't know how to mitigate her app losses other ways, she just blames me for telling her to get a "crappy" phone that doesn't do anything her friends phones can do.

I don't think it's some extreme bias against BlackBerry on the whole. For the most part I think it's just people wanting to make their jobs a little easier and make sure their customers aren't mad at them personally. I can't speak for every store or anything, but that was my cousin's reasoning for it, and it makes logical sense to me. It wouldn't surprise me if that's what other shops do too.
    08-26-13 09:15 AM
    I read a lot of posts on here about people having trouble with rude phone sales associates trying to sell them different devices than the ones that they said they want. So at a BBQ this weekend I decided to ask my cousin, a sales associate for an AT&T store that my Uncle manages about her perspective on it.

I asked if she ever tried to persuade people to get an iPhone or Galaxy when they came in asking about other phones and she said basically that she tries to steer people towards any phone that lots of people have, namely right now: iPhone 5, S4, One, Note 2 (her personal daily rider), etc.

When I asked why, she said that it was simply because she didn't want that person coming in angry the next day because they couldn't figure it out. With the popular phones, people ask their friends, or find many people on the internet that know what they're doing and get help that way. For phones like the Lumias or a BB10 device that are more of a niche product it's harder for the general public to find someone they know that also has one to tell them what they're doing wrong. Therefore, they come back to the store, and people are much more belligerent asking a phone associate about a phone they just bought from the same associate than they are their friends.

I then told her about some of the stories I've read here where someone specifically asked for a Z10 or Q10 and were told they should get something else. She said she's never done that, but she knows some sales associates would simply because they're weary about giving a niche device to someone unless they're absolutely sure that's what they want. So they make absolutely sure that that is the product they want to avoid them coming back in the store or blaming the carrier when they can't figure it out.

She personally doesn't care if you come in and want a BlackBerry or a Windows Phone if you ask for it. But the vast majority of customers who walk in aren't like those of us on the forum. They come in without reading anything, knowing they need to upgrade, and wanting a phone that will work. She's not going to put a product with limited apps and a steeper learning curve into a customer's hands if they don't ask for it, otherwise that same customer will come back in a week, angry at her for recommending it when they can't watch Netflix or play Candy Crush and they can't figure out how to check their email.

I understand this mentality perfectly. My Mom's last upgrade she wanted a smart phone with a horizontal slider keyboard, so we got her the HTC Arrive, a Windows Slider. She's now mad at me because all her friends play Candy Crush on their phones and she has to do it on Facebook. She doesn't know how to mitigate her app losses other ways, she just blames me for telling her to get a "crappy" phone that doesn't do anything her friends phones can do.

I don't think it's some extreme bias against BlackBerry on the whole. For the most part I think it's just people wanting to make their jobs a little easier and make sure their customers aren't mad at them personally. I can't speak for every store or anything, but that was my cousin's reasoning for it, and it makes logical sense to me. It wouldn't surprise me if that's what other shops do too.
    She admitted she is doing her job. The person on the floor is following instructions from management. Who follow their directives from Headquarters. Who are interested in the bottom line for the company. Who get their information from sales trends. Based on devices that customers buy based on their needs.

See.....the issue stems from us, the consumer.
    08-26-13 09:30 AM
    They don't have a clue about the BB Z10 - how it works and what it can do. They cannot demonstrate it. It's all about iPhone and Android
    08-26-13 09:33 AM
    Is she single?

I love phone girls.

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    08-26-13 09:35 AM
    Those things being said, I have experienced the buy my phone attitude from a carrier salesperson. I don't get offended by it because I rarely try to buy something without doing research before I go.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 09:50 AM
    Is she single?

I love phone girls.

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    Soon to be divorced. So yes, but...
    Last edited by hallda01; 08-26-13 at 10:17 AM.
    08-26-13 09:55 AM
    I have said this before so excuse me but it would help if the BlackBerry display demonstrated their phones as well as Apple.
    Always have a working model and get rid of that ****ing demo mode. The consumer wants to play with the phone. Not many consumers will be able to steer their way out of demo mode. I am never going to buy a phone with out taking it for a test drive.
    08-26-13 10:17 AM