Here's my dilemma. I have a work Passport that I love. I let my senior administration know that I'm off to the USA from Canada and asked if I could get a roaming plan for two weeks. I was denied...

So far I've decided that I'll use airplane mode until I'm in wifi then turn wifi on.

I have a BES phone so swapping sim cards is out of the question.

Does anyone know if I can somehow purchase a device that will be a portable wifi so I can still bbm my family who is on vacation with me.

Posted using my amazing Passport
    12-16-14 05:27 PM
    Won't an ipod touch do the trick...or an old BlackBerry device you may have laying around?

You are saying you only want to use it on Wifi right?

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    12-16-14 05:35 PM
    I think OP is asking for an way to purchase/rent a temp hotspot so he doesn't have to rely on free wifi during his Stateside travels. Perhaps something like FreedomPop although the Sprint network can be spotty.
    12-16-14 05:43 PM
    Check out http://www.netzero.net/

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 05:48 PM
    I think OP is asking for an way to purchase/rent a temp hotspot so he doesn't have to rely on free wifi during his Stateside travels. Perhaps something like FreedomPop although the Sprint network can be spotty.
    Oh...got ya!

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    12-16-14 05:51 PM
    I would suggest that you look into Roam Mobility. They have portable wifi hot spots that you can purchase and buy data plans for it. They are Canadian based and I have used them multiple times to change ny phone over. Good luck. Roammobility.com

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 06:16 PM
    Here's my dilemma. I have a work Passport that I love. I let my senior administration know that I'm off to the USA from Canada and asked if I could get a roaming plan for two weeks. I was denied...

So far I've decided that I'll use airplane mode until I'm in wifi then turn wifi on.

I have a BES phone so swapping sim cards is out of the question.

Does anyone know if I can somehow purchase a device that will be a portable wifi so I can still bbm my family who is on vacation with me.

Well perhaps you would like to rephrase that because if your family is on vacation WITH you, why would you need to BBM them? Just open your mouth and speak. They're probably within hearing distance if they're with you. :-D

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    12-16-14 06:16 PM
    Well perhaps you would like to rephrase that because if your family is on vacation WITH you, why would you need to BBM them? Just open your mouth and speak. They're probably within hearing distance if they're with you. :-D

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253

"Hey!!!! HEYYYYY!!!!!!! I'm over on the dumbo ride...where are you??? HELLO!!!!"

12-16-14 06:50 PM
    On vacation we won't be attached at the hip. My wife will no doubt be at the mall shopping and I definitely won't be there. Hence the idea to stay connected.

NtotheK likes this.
    12-16-14 09:20 PM
    Not sure why you can't use a T-Mobile sim while on BES? I have no experience with BES, but seems odd.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 09:22 PM
    You should be able to swap Sims while on the BES as long as it works with your phone.

I don't remember their ever being a setting in BES to block it unless you are possibly running a BB10 phone that is 100% locked down but it doesn't sound like it.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 09:29 PM
    You could check out wind, it's Canadian but they have a $15/month unlimited US add on, so you may be able to get a portable wifi and a base plan (no contracts at wind) and top up with the US unlimited roaming.
    Roam mobility sounds good to check out too.
    12-16-14 09:35 PM
    I second the ROAM Mobile suggestion. I used one of their SIMS when I went to San Diego for two weeks. The price was very good, the coverage was also very good. I know they sell portable Hotspot devices. Definitely give them a try.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 11:57 PM