I'll be there for a long time and decided to use my phone here rather than get a prepaid. T-Mobile is still running that unlimited data promo, so I'll use it as a hotspot for my laptop.

Thoughts?
    12-31-15 08:00 AM
    As long as you have a roaming package of some sort. Not sure about T-Mobile but Rogers here in Canada charges crazy amounts for Roaming. The new Roam like Home works ok but still can be as high as $100 per month. That being said, there are a lot of places in Italy that offer WiFi so you could probably hook up to local hotspots most of the time. Especially if you're in big cities like Milan, Florence or Rome

Posted via CB10
    12-31-15 08:12 AM
    I've in the past just grabbed a prepaid Sim via Vodafone or Tim (Tim was right at the airport) . Cost under 4 eu per week for data (250 MB a week I think) plus voice charged per minute. But I did need an Italian address and id to get it.

One thing I would check is coverage. Likely anyone will work in major centers, but more outlying areas tend to favour certain providers. If that's where you are headed, use the providers the locals use.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-15 08:26 AM
    I'll be there for a long time and decided to use my phone here rather than get a prepaid. T-Mobile is still running that unlimited data promo, so I'll use it as a hotspot for my laptop.

Thoughts?
    You would probably be better off getting a local sim and data package. This way, you are not saddled with any surprises when toy return home.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-15 09:01 AM
    Costs will not concern you as you have free roaming (as I understand it). Using your phone as a Hotspot for a longer time might be the thing to be careful about. Those phones can get really hot when in Hotspot mode.

Posted via CB10
    logger4942 likes this.
    12-31-15 12:12 PM
    Keep in mind that the "free roaming" means free 2G data speeds, not 3G or 4G. In other words, it's dial-up speeds instead of broadband. That's plenty for texting, email, and a bit of slow web browsing, but don't expect miracles.
    12-31-15 01:09 PM
    Yes, and besides the 2G speed, you are still paying for taxes or access fees... the date itself is free but you will pay for accessing a foreigner tower... keep that in mind...

Posted via CB10
    12-31-15 01:12 PM
    Our Simple Choice plan. It travels well.
    Only from T-Mobile, our Simple Choice Plan makes it simple for you to stay in touch while you explore the world. Now get unlimited data and texting in 95% of the places you travel most140+ countries and destinations around the globe. Oh, and calls? Theyre just 20 cents a minute.
    01-02-16 07:09 AM
    How do you sign up for global coverage and how much will it cost?
    Its simple! Just activate a qualifying Simple Choice Plan with T-Mobile. No need to add a separate feature or service to your account or call Customer Care before you travel. International roaming with unlimited data and text is now included in qualifying plans at no extra charge.

Looks like my simple Choice plan will cover me

Traveling to Italy with Classic, Passport and T-Mobile plan-img_20160102_081111.png

Traveling to Italy with Classic, Passport and T-Mobile plan-img_20160102_081149.png
    01-02-16 07:12 AM
    I have T-Mobile I've been to the Philippines made a few short calls but mostly used data and BBM. I didn't really notice a change in my bill. All worked great. I did notice for some reason the battery on my Z 10 would run hot but the charge would last 12+ hrs there but here in the USA I get 4-5 hours.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-16 11:15 AM
    I have traveled internationally with simple choice before and it works very well. However your plan to tether with your laptop may or may not work. My phone prevented sharing the internet connection with the exception of pairing with a Playbook through bridge.
    01-08-16 07:27 AM
    I have traveled internationally with simple choice before and it works very well. However your plan to tether with your laptop may or may not work. My phone prevented sharing the internet connection with the exception of pairing with a Playbook through bridge.
    Can I call T-Mobile about this? Or is it a BlackBerry capability?

T-Mobile is still doing 3 months unlimited data, so I want to take advantage.
    01-08-16 01:32 PM