Hello, this is my first post here and I'm sorry if it's in the wrong place. I have a Verizon Blackberry Pearl (8130). I'm traveling to Argentina for 2 months and would rather take my Blackberry instead of renting an international phone. I was told that I would be able to buy a sim card there. Even though I don't have international calling on my family plan would I be able to put in a sim card that was bought in Argentina and be able to call home? I know it's $4.99/minute with the rented international phone. Thanks for the help! -Hannah
    05-29-09 12:27 AM
    This is a moot point for you. Your 8130 is a straight CDMA device.
    There is no SIM card slot in it.
    05-29-09 12:39 AM
    You would need a world phone like a Storm or an 8830WE to do what you want.

Maybe, just buy a calling card?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-09 12:50 AM
    Okay, thank you! I'll just rent an international phone. My contract isn't up and I don't want to have to spend so much money on a new phone just yet.
    05-29-09 01:17 PM
    Hello, this is my first post here and I'm sorry if it's in the wrong place. I have a Verizon Blackberry Pearl (8130). I'm traveling to Argentina for 2 months and would rather take my Blackberry instead of renting an international phone. I was told that I would be able to buy a sim card there. Even though I don't have international calling on my family plan would I be able to put in a sim card that was bought in Argentina and be able to call home? I know it's $4.99/minute with the rented international phone. Thanks for the help! -Hannah
    You may find this recent article from CNET helpful. Going abroad? Don't be afraid to pack the cell phone | Wireless - CNET News
    05-31-09 02:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD