I'm currently travelling in Europe and want to use local (Italian & French) prepaid SIM cards.

I bought a TIM (Telecom Italia) SIM, that was supposed to have internet access included. There was no problems making phone calls, but I couldn't get internet access.

I went back to the store where I bought the SIM to be told that a BB needs to be configured to work with their network, but nobody on their customer support line seemed to be able to find the info needed.

I've looked around the setup options but there isn't anything there that I can see that needs to be changed.

Also, my BB Bold seems to be configured to use WiFi before GPRS when I'm in Australia, but here despite connecting to a number of free WiFi hot spots, I can't get data over WiFi.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to have both GPRS & WiFi working, but my trip will go much smoother if I can get at least one going!

Thanks,
    Nick.
    03-04-09 02:26 AM
    I'm currently travelling in Europe and want to use local (Italian & French) prepaid SIM cards.

I bought a TIM (Telecom Italia) SIM, that was supposed to have internet access included. There was no problems making phone calls, but I couldn't get internet access.

I went back to the store where I bought the SIM to be told that a BB needs to be configured to work with their network, but nobody on their customer support line seemed to be able to find the info needed.

I've looked around the setup options but there isn't anything there that I can see that needs to be changed.

Also, my BB Bold seems to be configured to use WiFi before GPRS when I'm in Australia, but here despite connecting to a number of free WiFi hot spots, I can't get data over WiFi.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to have both GPRS & WiFi working, but my trip will go much smoother if I can get at least one going!

Thanks,
    Nick.

phone at number 119 from italy and you can active blackberry option at the csot of 12euro at months you can navigate internet and send received mail.
    bis server

or active an number with wind italy and act6ive bis server with this operator is free for 3 months after you pay 12 euro for 1 month
    03-04-09 02:56 AM
    Very few EU countries have BB data plans for pay and go sim cards. A pay and go data plan is usually a generic one and to use it you probably need to download the Opera Mini browser and enter the carrier's APN details at options > advanced options > TCP. Using this you will of course have to browse to your email online as the BB features do not work without a Blackberry data plan.

Most EU data plans are for pay monthly / contract sim card's and would be subject to a credit check and have a minimum term which is not really suitable for a short visit..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-09 03:12 AM
    I use my BB with a prepaid SIM card, so maybe I can just report my experiences: First of all, forget about BB services, you will not get them to work. As Hazysky said, you need to find you APN details (username and password) and enter them in options/adv.options/TCP. This will allows you to use opera if you set it to Wifi-disabled. Regardless of these settings, you will get Wifi to work whenever you find a free hotspot, but these are rare at least in Germany. If you use the standard BB browser, you will need to set them to hotspot-browser or WAP browser (as I believe the internet browser will not be there becaus of missing BB services).
    The setting Wifi before GPRS pertains to BB services as far as I know, so this will not be relevant to you. If you use e.g. Viigo you need to enable direct TCP once again because of missing BB services. You will not get Viigo to work in Wifi, it will always be GPRS without the services.

Regarding getting data over Wifi: It will work. Tell us a bit more about your settings: Which browser, are you sure you are connected to the hotspot (what do the Wifi-diagnosis tools tell you?)
    Last edited by MarkusALC; 03-04-09 at 04:45 AM.
    03-04-09 04:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD